Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meyers Manx re-releases Classic Manx body
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx re-releases Classic Manx body Reply with quote

I don't see this affecting originals. Bodies in good shape with original gelcoat should still go for good money.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx re-releases Classic Manx body Reply with quote

Did the continuation classic bodies affect the value of actual original manx bodies? Id say you are simply buying better quality.

Imho, you're buying a fiberglass body to build a plaything. If you are buying because of some kind of exclusivity for speculation... you'd be better served buyimg precious metals. I'd follow the disclaimers of most financial advisors. Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance. Buggies will always be worth what someone will pay for it.

If I had a Manx and an otherwise identical Berrien, the manx is almost guaranteed to bring more regardless of how many Manx bodies have been produced, but there's no 100% assurance that will be the case. I"ll buy the cheaper buggy and sleep well at night
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx re-releases Classic Manx body Reply with quote

In knowing Bruce and Winnie personally, I wish the best success for them. I hope they have a consistent demand for these new bodies. Like anyone else, they deserve to be successful.

As with anything, the original will always carry the favor. It has a story to tell.

I kicked around very seriously buying one of these and splitting the transportation cost with others to the East Coast. I thought it would be nice for a change not to have to work a old body. But then having just completed a new Manxter, I realized there was no "me" in it, and I have a hard time holding it special.

Over the years I have restored more than I care to count of the Big Three, VWs, MGs, Mazdas and others. For me to enjoy owning or building something, I need to have a connection with it totally. So I will always value a old body with a story more than a new body with no "face". That is just my opinion.

That sounds dopey, but try as I may for over 50 years, I have been unable to change myself.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx re-releases Classic Manx body Reply with quote

It's kinda of like talking about your uncle at Thanksgiving (while he's in the room) about how he had a really good run at the Market because he had a special talent in a time long past. Thinking about 'continuations', never having the traction of originals, would it not have been better for them to acquire early production cars and bring them back to the condition that guys like GeoffP did.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...or Vince in Hatterass ..a number of others.

I suspect the Meyers' are not out back doing the layup, so potential revenue on body-only is small. ..'given that in one day quite recently, a non-period Manx generated 3x the sell of a clone, you'd think what a better resource than sourcing an period, signature car from the man himself?

(Lord I know how easy it is to run someone else's business ..plenty (wife is #1) have run mine these for 38yrs)

Jim
Manx #2614
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx re-releases Classic Manx body Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
It's kinda of like talking about your uncle at Thanksgiving (while he's in the room) about how he had a really good run at the Market because he had a special talent in a time long past. Thinking about 'continuations', never having the traction of originals, would it not have been better for them to acquire early production cars and bring them back to the condition that guys like GeoffP did.

...or Vince in Hatterass ..a number of others.

I suspect the Meyers' are not out back doing the layup, so potential revenue on body-only is small. ..'given that in one day quite recently, a non-period Manx generated 3x the sell of a clone, you'd think what a better resource than sourcing an period, signature car from the man himself?

(Lord I know how easy it is to run someone else's business ..plenty (wife is #1) have run mine these for 38yrs)

Jim

Having already built several Original Meyers Manx buggies, a slew of clones and 3 more of my own personal original Meyers Manx to go, they are super labor intensive. When I sell them/charge for them, I make about $ 2.50 to $ 3.00 per hour on my labor, if I am lucky.

With Bruce turning 91 in 2 months, and Winnie deep into her 70's, I would think restoring a original body would not be a good business model. Just my opinion.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx re-releases Classic Manx body Reply with quote

If I could justify driving around with a beautiful Chartreuse Green Buggy brand new out of a mold I would do it in a heartbeat!!!!
For the price you can't even think about trying to fix up an old buggy body and paint it for that.

I'm not meant to have nice things though....I much rather spend my time wrenching or driving a buggy than polishing and/or worrying about someone touching it or possibly...God Forbid......putting a scuff or scratch in it whether just admiring it or getting in it.
There is something to be said about patina......I have never in the 12 yrs of driving my original gelcoat beat up bodied non Manx buggy.... had anyone comment on how old and ugly the paint is.......It's always thumbs up, big smiles and finger pointing by young and old alike and if a child wants to sit in it I let them monkee climb over the rear wheel to get in themselves.

As far as the re-releases......Do the original Mustang, Camaro and Challenger owners worry about the new versions of their cars affecting the value?????

That said.....when showing my wife the pics of the new bodies she actually got a slight little gleam in her eyes..... Shocked Razz Cool

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx re-releases Classic Manx body Reply with quote

hi guys.

i am italian...and obviously european.

we think it very different.

let me please do a couple of thought in public, hoping not to offend anyone.

1) buggy world is very strange. i can't understand the american way sometimes: i Always read a lot of comments on original ones. original has an history.... original is better...original is valuable and so on....but i see very little amount of real original cars in what you post here. most of people find a barn unmolested manx and the day after it has 2100 engine with powder ceramic muffler, 2000's anatomic seats and full rollcage. not to speak on wheels and suspensions. EVERYONE IS FREE TO DO HIS CAR THE WAY HE LIKE... but i can't understand this way of thinking.

2) i would prefer a real well built COMPLETE REPLICA with period correct parts than a real period one with mixed parts.

3) we are talkin about plastic. you can weld a piece of metal but you can enter the old molecolar structure of a 40 years old body. you simply spray something on it.

4) i don't love "exclusivity" way of thinking. i don't love anyone can think other people should not have a genuine manx to see more money on his cars. manx is a workin class hero. you should be happy to see it rebirds.
other way you love money more than cars.

5) i think the new bodies will modify price for the old ones only in part.

6) it is just a dune buggy. a 23 million car's chassis with a plastic body. when mr. manx invented it i can bet he had only fun and beauty in his mind.
everyone should own a manx. take it easy and go to the roots.
drive it more that you can and if it will break:

a) you have the original: thanks god we have new spare bodies
b) you have a replica: thanks god i did't destroyed an original one.

as you see new manx bodies are good for all
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx re-releases Classic Manx body Reply with quote

bobfalfa5 wrote:
as you see new manx bodies are good for all

Well said. I agree
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyers Manx re-releases Classic Manx body Reply with quote

bobfalfa5 wrote:

1) buggy world is very strange. i can't understand the american way sometimes: i Always read a lot of comments on original ones. original has an history.... original is better...original is valuable and so on....but i see very little amount of real original cars in what you post here. most of people find a barn unmolested manx and the day after it has 2100 engine with powder ceramic muffler, 2000's anatomic seats and full rollcage. not to speak on wheels and suspensions. EVERYONE IS FREE TO DO HIS CAR THE WAY HE LIKE... but i can't understand this way of thinking.

Love it! Seriously.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: