Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this corrosion, or an intentional surface treatment?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Is this corrosion, or an intentional surface treatment? Reply with quote

I'm doing some paint work on the nose of my '89 Syncro right beneath the corners of the windshield. It seems like there's red paint on top, then grey primer, and then a hard black coating under the primer? See the smooth black areas in the picture:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the lower areas the paint and primer seem to have been applied *very* heavily and are peeling off as a thick sheet leaving the black coating underneath. The black areas certainly seem like they might be some sort of intentional coating -- they are smooth and tight -- but I haven't seen anything like that when working on other areas of the van.

Is the black coating a pre-prime metal treatment, or is it some sort of oxidation under the primer? Should I leave it in place and prime on top of it -- or should I try to strip paint back until I don't see it any more?

Thanks!
-Bill
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this corrosion, or an intentional surface treatment? Reply with quote

That looks like the coating I've seen on new/aftermarket replacement body panels in the past.

E.g.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Fender
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this corrosion, or an intentional surface treatment? Reply with quote

Interesting! I have a pretty good history on this van and there's nothing at all to indicate a major repair -- but who knows? All the nose panels look like this...

More evidence:

A brazed (or silicon-bronze TIG?) seam -- this appears both sides. Could this be how they put the van together at Steyer? I have heard that, for some Syncros, they received panels from VW and assembled the bodies themselves? Or is this definitely a repair?

Thanks!
-Bill
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this corrosion, or an intentional surface treatment? Reply with quote

stormforge wrote:
I'm doing some paint work on the nose of my '89 Syncro right beneath the corners of the windshield. It seems like there's red paint on top, then grey primer, and then a hard black coating under the primer? See the smooth black areas in the picture:

In the lower areas the paint and primer seem to have been applied *very* heavily and are peeling off as a thick sheet leaving the black coating underneath. The black areas certainly seem like they might be some sort of intentional coating -- they are smooth and tight -- but I haven't seen anything like that when working on other areas of the van.

Is the black coating a pre-prime metal treatment, or is it some sort of oxidation under the primer? Should I leave it in place and prime on top of it -- or should I try to strip paint back until I don't see it any more?

Thanks!
-Bill

The black bottom layer is (can be) factory and pretty robust. I'd refrain from sanding through it unless you need to, as it's just added protection. You can see here from when I was sanding down my chassis.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this corrosion, or an intentional surface treatment? Reply with quote

the dark area is a primer, so is the lighter area. it appears you had an adhesion issue with the red color? why, was red applied super thick, was prior film contaminated, or not compatible? what ever it is Id think youd want to remove all the paint down to below the adhesion failure area. Note the entire van may not require this level of sanding, only the spots with adhesion issues if need be. just dont paint over adhesion issues, ever!

also be sure to degrease, dewax, desilicone the paint prior to sanding, if not you risk curling, trapping the contaminates into the top layer of paint you leave after sanding, that can cause a paint defect known as a "fisheye". A fisheye is a pin point area that the paint wont wet, it forms a little crater in the paint down to the trapped wax, oil, silicone particle. so clean paint prior to sanding of wax, silicone, oils to prevent fisheyes.

now you do appear to have rust going on in the window seal gutter, address that for sure. besure to use a two part epoxy or urathane water proof primer to help prevent rerusting, specially in areas that pool water like the windows areas, seals etc... of course remove the rust first.

good luck, neat project, wish i had the energy for that!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: