Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tintop - summer heat
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

Looking for some input on ways to counter the heat in the summer.

My van is an 87 tin-top with the AC that runs along the roof. AC system is shot to the point that it either needs recharged via R12, or converted to R134. If I can find an R12 shop in town I might give it a shot before spending the $300+ on the R134 conversion. But I'm getting mixed reviews on that solution. Would probably end up costing more in the end anyway.

At any rate, I know there are a TON of people out there driving these vans around without AC, so I'm curious how you do it. We drove the van through Portland to the coast las summer on a 95+ day and I honestly thought I was going to die. Admittedly, that was ONE trip (250 miles) of the nearly 4,000 that we drove last summer...so maybe this is a non-issue and I just need to suck it up.

Things to consider...

- My drivers side window wouldn't roll down. So that's first thing on my list. The wing window was okay while moving, but did nothing while sitting. Even moving, 98 degree air doesn't feel good.
- Window tint?
- Put the curtains up and deal with low visibility?
- When we camped with Newfisher this winter he had his roof painted with bed liner (I believe) and said it made a world of difference. Assuming I can't find silver bed liner, my roof would end up black which seams like it would me worse off than before. I do plan on painting the van, but not this year. So maybe this mod will wait until the new paint job comes around.
- Are there any 12volt fans out there that you could install on the dash or something?

Any input appreciated!

I just want to enjoy the van. Maybe we just shouldn't go camping if it's that hot Smile
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

My answer is to sweat lots and hydrate more.

Wife does not like that answer. Dogs seem to agree with her.

So, while I will likely start messing around the AC to at some point (haven't ever even put a belt on it) the other options I know of are to paint the van roof white and tint the windows.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

Wife does not like that answer. Dogs seem to agree with her.

Strangely, my wife isn't the one complaining! It's all me. She claimed that with her window down it was "fine". Yea...we'll see about that when I get my window to roll down.

My roof is already light silver...so I don't feel like going white would make that much of a difference.

Window tint might be in the cards soon enough.

I should add we usually have 2 dogs and our 3 year old in the back. I'm more worried about our son than anything (even with my own complaining). At least he has two windows that open wide and he's usually in the shade. I must have just been in the wrong seat Smile
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

R12-A plus all the stuff you mentioned, do not yack the dash.

You can have Raptor bedliner tinted any color you want, slide away from the computer , grab the yellow pages, and find a local auto body supply store.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
R12-A plus all the stuff you mentioned, do not yack the dash.

So you're a proponent for just rolling with the ol' R12-A?

Terry Kay wrote:

You can have Raptor bedliner tinted any color you want, slide away from the computer , grab the yellow pages, and find a local auto body supply store.

I'll have to look into that when I'm ready for paint.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

You didn't pick up on the "A" in as alternative.

There are reams of info here on using Red Tek & how & what to do..
How to perform every recharging operation using R12A which blows as cold as R-12 without causing damage to the system components as 134-A will.

I think you can find it under; DIY Red Tek

Last edited by Terry Kay on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
You didn't pick up on the "A" in as alternative.

There are reams of info here on using Red Tek use.
How to perform every recharging operation using R12A which blows as cold as R-12 without causing damage to the system components as 134-A will.

Cool, I'll dig into it. Thanks Terry.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

to begin.. paint your roof white... I use marine grade paint with foam roller..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
to begin.. paint your roof white... I use marine grade paint with foam roller..

Will it really make that much of a difference on a silver van?
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

Red Tek thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I had Line-x sprayed on the roof and while masked up, shot the base coat color of the van and then cleared it. Noise reduction and I'm sure some heat reduction as it does insulate. The full length rack with solar, Yakima box and the sand ramps along the other side provide a " shaded" roof. The limo tint and curtains also help. I converted my a/c to r134a after the Subaru swap and It works well.

My neighbor did this and seemed to knock down the heat a few degrees last summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:

My neighbor did this and seemed to knock down the heat a few degrees last summer

Ha! That's awesome.

Local shop quote me $45 to do a vacuum test on the system, which sounds reasonable. So I'll probably start there.

Once I determine what, if anything, needs replaced, I'll proceed.

They said they would use traditional R12, which would probably run me in the $300 range or they would convert to R134 for $$$$. They don't have Red Tek.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

Quote:
Will it really make that much of a difference on a silver van?

it depends on your perception of temp.... I live in So. CaL., the white roof helps a lot... and rarely run the A/C

of course I have a good running A/C....
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
newfisher wrote:

Ha! That's awesome.

Local shop quote me $45 to do a vacuum test on the system, which sounds reasonable. So I'll probably start there.

Once I determine what, if anything, needs replaced, I'll proceed.

They said they would use traditional R12, which would probably run me in the $300 range or they would convert to R134 for $$$$. They don't have Red Tek.

Get them to do the vac test. If good replace the dryer yourself (or get them to) and get them to draw a vac again. Do the diy redtek 12a kit yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tintop - summer heat Reply with quote

[quote="geo_tonz"]
h00drat wrote:

Get them to do the vac test. If good replace the dryer yourself (or get them to) and get them to draw a vac again. Do the diy redtek 12a kit yourself.

This was my thinking.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: