Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 4 performance build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gforcepdx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

i am researching a 2332 build for my 60 ragtop and keep bumping into mentions of type 4 builds being so robust but also being more expensive. i'm trying to wrap my head around what "expensive" actually means.

in contemplating my own build based on a type 1 engine, i'm budgeting things like a $400 set of rods, ported stage two heads ($1,400?) and at least a set of 48 idf's $1,000 or perhaps a megasquirt system ($1,500?) Is that expensive? i have no idea... seems like the price of admission to me.

so are type 4 motors more expensive to build than that? most people will tell you the engine/trans part of a build will set you back $7k. but there are people building motors spending quite a bit less. is a type 4 build more expensive to those people...? or to me?

anyway the reason i'm looking into it is the idea of longevity. i'd love to have a build go 100k. not sure how realistic that is. but i get the feeling building a type 1 motor is closer to the 50k mark. it's about the bearings? soft thin beetle cases can't take the abuse? that's the ways it's been put to me. that the type 4 cases are built for all the extra weight of a fully loaded van going up pikes peak etc... and i like the sound of that. but then i read that your options are limited and aftermarket parts harder to find. because you're leaving the herd at that point. three guys in a hundred build type 3 so the market tends to the other 97.

lastly the hp numbers i've seen look to be on the low side. guys posting 130 etc... i came to the table wanting a build capable of producing 160 to 200 hp. but capable doesn't mean i'd see that often. i've been told it's the higher rpms killing longevity. i plan to build a motor capable of 8,000 rpms, though i'd largely be driving at half that most of the time.

is a type 4 going to do that for me. or would pushing that hard take me back down to 50k rebuild territory again.

i found this yesterday... 2800 type 4 injection motor. pretty sweet...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-UZSa4M-iuM
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

I delayed answering this because its time consuming and others will eventually chine in....and it becomes a free for all.

The type 4 engine....was the last major aircooled engine design of VW. Not the last variation.....as there were modifications of it for the Vanagon ...but basically late bus, Porsche 912 and Vanagon are all basically type 4 engines with some upgrades/changes to the main case casting and how the engines were assembled.

So...VW incorporated quite a lot of improvements into it. Right off the bat......a tougher case with full flow oiling...no more cracking behind #3, knly a fraction of issues with high mileage crank whip ovaling out the case, slightly better oil pressure control, windage trays for slosh issues in the first applications of it (411, 412 and some 914), more fins for cooling on the heads, removeable lifters without splitting the case, a more reliable engine cooling system....which while having a little lower cfm output than the type 1 engine fan.....had better control.

The problem with regard to parts....is these engines came late to this country.....1971 through 1974 in 411, 412 and 914.
Not that many made in that period and the cars they were in were expensive and had fairly dedicated fuel injection set ups. Carbed versions were not imported....and would not fit in a bug, ghia or thing without fabricating both a cooling system and going to twin carbs. So....since they were few...and did not fit in bugs....they were largely ignored. Being that parts were expensive then.....and working in them was a little different.....most mechanics of the early era....hated them simply because they did not respond as readily to "hackery"...shortcuts or cheapness.
Only in 1974.....did they put it in a bus...first with twin carbs....then immediatley upgraded to a 1.8L then the 2.0. The 1.8 had already been in the 412 and 914.

Again....these engines with their cooling system were a little more visually complex, heavier...and did not fit in a beetle without mods.....and they were largely detuned with a torque band set up for a bus. So with no real market....no wide range of aftetmarket parts has really been made over the decades.

Cut to 15 years ago or so with the work of Jake Raby and others pointing out what a robust and improved design it was....and making some aftermarket cooling for upright conversion...and there was a wave of people putting these into type 1 based cars.

Bear in mind that the type 4 engine...stock....with good care....is commonly a 100,000 to 150,000 mile engine...with the average type one engine being about a 75,000 mile engine before at least a valve job is needed if not more. The case material and design, oil filter and head fin system alone represents most of this improvement.

But.....there is not a huge pool of aftermarket parts choices. And since your initial parts tend to be higher cost because there are fewer engines....then add in an upright cooling system and twin carbs with manifolds and linkage....unless you want to keep the original fuel injection manifolds (which are actually pretty good....but will limit your displacement) and use with stock or aftermarket injection .....and you are already just a little more expensive than a type 1. Not bad...yet..but certainly close to 50% higher for a stock build.

Another point to keep in mind at this point.....is the stock exhaust....was poorly designed in performance terms, ran hot and were barely adequate for stock displacment.

Ok....so then look at the type of person/application wanting an engine that is tougher than a type 1....and willing to spend a bit more money.....and the only people that fit that profile...want nothing even close to stock.

So.....the market that exists..or ever existed for aftermatket parts....outside of stock bus parts and some 411, 412 and 914.....has all been aimed at full cusyom, larger engines and sports cars.....Jake Raby, European Motorworks, Fat Performance.....a few others. What they make is nowhere near stock...so fewer buyers.....and higher cost.

Add to that now.....the only better than stock exhaust systems that exist....are all custom.
And.....since now even a mild build has expensive parts you do not want to destroy......building even a bone stock type 4.....is closer to blueprinting than the average built on a workbench type 1 build.
There are some important assembly differences.....and ignoring them can lead to an early engine death. Details like rod ratio, valvetrain, camshaft....are critical ro the type 4 engine survival if you want it to live the high miles that the stock engines did...or better.

So.....you are looking at a 2.3 liter? You are probably going to need a custom crank welded and ground...unless you can make that work with a stock 71mm crank from a 2.0L....which is not as strong. An aftermarket cooling system like a DTM.....unless you have room to stay with the stock system which works well. The basic needing lots more parts and your fabbing is $900. The full blown bolt up kit is about $2100

Custom cylinders probably...because going that big will leave you with few choices of quality parts....so you end up at European Motorworks or The Type 4 store for "Nickies" with custom pistons. Expect $1000+ for EM and about $3000 for nickies.
You need a real cam with all the fixings.....solid spacers, Porsche swivel feet, new pushrods and lifters, springs, retainers....the best in the business will set you back $1100 for the whole kit.

A custom exhaust....and a couple exist....A1 and EM....expect $1500+.

Gaskets, alternator, machine work......another $500 or so. Your injection...yep as you note...with manifolds and TBs...maybe $1500 finished with a better than stock ignition.

And the heads...which are critical. Few choices here. Rebuilt/massaged ones from stock....a good rebuild will set you back maybe $1000 for the pair with excellent parts. Or new AMC castings...which are bone stone....then work on those.....still about $1500 by the time you get what you want. Or reproduction/custom on new AMC castings....but bad ass...from HAM inc....about $2100 for the pair.

Right there...i have a little under $11,000....for an engine like you want with a type 4....with you doing all the work.....but it will be a bulletproof driving at 85mph all day every day engine....or a good track car.

You can build a slightly larger than stock...but much better than stock...probably 150 hp...2056...will all of largely the same parts except for some of the more expensive custom pieces like crank and nickies cylinders......for about half that. A great bulletproof better than factory stock build....if you can find the quality original parts you need.....for between $4000 to $5000.

I will have about 5k in my modified 1.7l with modified faftory D-jet, better cam and valvetrain.....pushing to just below 100hp....up from the facyory 82hp....and it will run to 150k.

Yes....its the cost of admission because of supply and demand. Most...but not all... of the type 1 guys refuse to use type 4 and say its too expensive....becaue they are effectively cheap. They dont really care to spend the extra $$$$ for the longevity they don't care about. Mkst would rather spend $3k for a higher than stock output, simple to slap togetuer...simple to get parts anywhere for....engine.....and just rebuild it again at 50k miles if that's what it requires.
The other side of that coin are the type 1 builders who want the longevity...and will even pop for a modern aluminum type 1 case and all custom parts....and in the longrun spend ahout as much as you will...simply because there are a wider range of quality type 1 racing parts to choose from. Simpler.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gforcepdx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

well thank you so much. very informative. i would say that there is the potential for an effective sticky here on the variant uses of the type 4 engine platform. that's the sort of thing i looked for prior to posting.
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

There is a misconception about the abilities of the stock type 4's cooling system. It pumps a lot more air than the type 1 setup. A few facts from VW, as published in various literature:

Type 1 doghouse cooling system: 600 Litre per second at 4000 engine rpms. (Earlier types did less).
Type 4 flat fan setup: 800 Litre per second at 4600 rpms, and 710 litre per second at only 3600 rpms.

The problem arises when abused. Having the cold cooling-air intake right next to the used hot air outlet, engine compartment sealing/ducting becomes ultra-critical, for obvious reasons.
gforcepdx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

so, if i was looking for a 2.0 donor, what would be a good price? i'm seeing complete motors on ebay for 2k+
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

dawie wrote:
There is a misconception about the abilities of the stock type 4's cooling system. It pumps a lot more air than the type 1 setup. A few facts from VW, as published in various literature:

Type 1 doghouse cooling system: 600 Litre per second at 4000 engine rpms. (Earlier types did less).
Type 4 flat fan setup: 800 Litre per second at 4600 rpms, and 710 litre per second at only 3600 rpms.

The problem arises when abused. Having the cold cooling-air intake right next to the used hot air outlet, engine compartment sealing/ducting becomes ultra-critical, for obvious reasons.

My comment was not about the volume.....its about the static pressure. The cooling air pressure on the outlet of the type 1 fan is actually higher than the type 4 fan due to the type of fan.

Both have their advantages....both are controlled/ducted differently. If the type 4 fan were used in the type 1 ducting.....the engine would overheat. This is why the type 3....using shrouding similar to the type 1...uses largely tbe same ttpe fan as the type 1.

While the type 4 has its own issues of not perfect cooling balance.....it uses a fan that works at lower statif pressures....robs less power from the engine.....but does not have the high speed slippage issue of a belt.....and has overall better control and consistency. But.....the air manifold and all its parts....need to be correctly put together....complete and functional.

And......once you get far outside of stock displacment and usage.....you start running into issues with the stock system being able to cool the engine. At that point....upright cooling with better shrouding is probably where you want to go.

I would take the stock type 4 system over stock type 1 on stock engines any day just to get rid of the belt. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gforcepdx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

well based on what i've read i think i'll proceed with the 2332 for several reasons. i've got more than one car and this sounds like something you really, really need to map out before pulling the trigger on anything. i think i'm in love with the idea of a 2.0 or 2.2 build to place in a 56 bathtub convertible replica down the road.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

gforcepdx wrote:
well based on what i've read i think i'll proceed with the 2332 for several reasons. i've got more than one car and this sounds like something you really, really need to map out before pulling the trigger on anything. i think i'm in love with the idea of a 2.0 or 2.2 build to place in a 56 bathtub convertible replica down the road.

You NEED to go to the Shoptalkforums index. Ask a few questions in the type forum and even the 411/412 forum.

The knowledge on the shoptalk forums about type 4 engines ...far exceeds the entire output of the Samba. This is no sleight to teh Samba.
I started out a long time ago on the Shoptalk forums and still frequent there...and Jake Raby had his own forum for several years there...all high performance type 4 based....and its archived as an archive forum.

You should read and research there. Much to learn...lots of answers...especially about cams, construction and the parts that Jake Raby designed and then sold in the Type 4 store. He is engine builder and consultant only now after he sold the store.

Lots of information about build technique, build combinations and cooling systems. Ray
gforcepdx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

yea. i've been to that site but haven't dug deeply yet. but i'll do that. it actually pops up in google searches on the subject so, yea. thanks
caseyd45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

I just ran across your feed here. I'm building a 2374 type 4 to go in a Karmann Ghia (96mm pistons / 82mm crank), big valve heads, dual webers, (I haven't made up my mind on the camshaft yet),etc.
All the previous responses are good. I would just ad that you can save some money by shopping around a little (don't buy cheap stuff though) and there are alternatives to the DTM and Porsche type cooling systems. I purchased the "Joe Calli" conversion bible (about $20.00) and it has step by step instructions on building your own upright conversion but you need to be a pretty good fabricator. All that out of the way Jake Raby is the guru and he has done a lot of work with the type 4 (bug me video on type 4). I don't think he is on the forums much anymore though if at all. I have used european motorworks for a lot of parts. For a starting point I found my core engine on the samba for a good price and I've picked up parts here and there.
gforcepdx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

would you agree the cost is twice that of a type 1? i've pushed a type 4 build back for more research. from the reading i've done so far it sounds like i can expect no more than 130 hp from a type 4 without hurting longevity.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

gforcepdx wrote:
would you agree the cost is twice that of a type 1? i've pushed a type 4 build back for more research. from the reading i've done so far it sounds like i can expect no more than 130 hp from a type 4 without hurting longevity.

Not true at all. The type 4 in STOCK form is more than twice the longevity of any type 1. It does not have the issue of needing a light valve train once over in the 50 -60k miles range....nor does it have the issue of needing a mandatory line bore after a measly 100k miles.

The caveat is that all of that goes out the window when its used in a bus. The bus.....is an engine killer.....twice as fast for either type 1 or type 4.
However...in a 411/412 or 914.....the cases can run 300k without a line bore in stock configuration.

The next level up when built properly.....damn.....I can get 100 hp out of a 1.7....and 100k+ mile longevity before a NORMAL rebuild.

If you are building the next level up from that....and you build, cam and exhaust it properly.....150 hp or more is quite normal.

Where and who are you getting your information from?......bus owners have "0" useful info to add to this conversation....as that is a totally different configuration and application.....and frankly....IMHO.....a waste of good parts. Wink
Ray
gforcepdx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
gforcepdx wrote:

Not true at all. The type 4 in STOCK form is more than twice the longevity of any type 1. It does not have the issue of needing a light valve train once over in the 50 -60k miles range....nor does it have the issue of needing a mandatory line bore after a measly 100k miles.

The caveat is that all of that goes out the window when its used in a bus. The bus.....is an engine killer.....twice as fast for either type 1 or type 4.
However...in a 411/412 or 914.....the cases can run 300k without a line bore in stock configuration.

The next level up when built properly.....damn.....I can get 100 hp out of a 1.7....and 100k+ mile longevity before a NORMAL rebuild.

If you are building the next level up from that....and you build, cam and exhaust it properly.....150 hp or more is quite normal.

Where and who are you getting your information from?......bus owners have "0" useful info to add to this conversation....as that is a totally different configuration and application.....and frankly....IMHO.....a waste of good parts. Wink
Ray

how stable would that 150 hp build be? are we back down to 100,000? curious. i'm on the fence at the moment but leaning towards the step below for something stable with a life of 200,000
thanks, j
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

gforcepdx wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
gforcepdx wrote:

Ray

how stable would that 150 hp build be? are we back down to 100,000? curious. i'm on the fence at the moment but leaning towards the step below for something stable with a life of 200,000
thanks, j

There is always some trade off....but the type 4 case is so much different than the type 1.
With material alone....while magnesium alloy is technically stiffer... in a tensile strength application....meaning say if we had a beam made of magnesium alloy as compared to the same beam made of aluminum alloy....but its also more "dentable"...or actually more malleable than aluminum when subjected to impact or crushing load.

This is partly why the type 4 engine does not get its main bearing saddles and especially its thrust bearing saddle beat out by "crank whip" and piston loads like the type 1.

Add to that....material wise....while all metals have a degree of work hardening...magnesium has a HIGH degree of work hardening which is why it becomes brittle with age....adding to the cracking issues and the ability to strip head studs easier. The type 4 has virtually none of that issue.

So design wise....you also have thicker main bearing webs in the type 4...which along with the material makes for less beating out of the case.

You also have in the type 4...larger main bearing journals which make for a stiffer crank with less whip....again...the case lasts longer.

This is one of the reasons why a common type 1 upgrade is type 4 crankshaft main journals.

There are other type 4 items which can be added to the type 1 for cheap enough that they cannot really be seen as type 4 centric benefits...but they help.
The larger oil cooler, better overall oil pressure control, larger oil galleys and an oil filter from the factory. I think the crank mounted fan speaks for itself.

The use of higher HP configuration in type 4 engines will not shorten the lifespan....unless you do not do the due-diligence to the supporting systems.

For instance:

The level of engine balance while pretty good on ACVW's...is not good enough at factory level for a higher performing engine. If you are making say...a 2056 at 125hp.....you need much better balance than factory.

Also....after a certain point...roughly a little larger than the factory 2L...the cooling system needs to be upgraded.

The type 4 case in high performance engines can run the same 300k miles between line bore...if everything in the combo is worked out properly to support the extra stress.
The combo must be right in the first place...cam, heads and valve size induction and exhaust to not overheat the engine on a regular basis.

The cooling system "may" need to be upgraded to support larger displacement. This is exactly why Raby and others have worked out upright cooling systems with proper airflow. The factory stock cooling system while excellent....limits expansion of the engine.

It is my observation....that many (not all) performance type 1 engine builders get away with murder in what they DO NOT improve on a type 1 engine that has been vastly upgraded....precisely because the engines are cheaper enough to build ....that it is not expected and nor do they care....that the engines may not make it past 50-60k miles.

The type 4 engine is a vastly improved type 1 engine really.....and it was designed to not have many of the basic shortcomings of the type 1 engine. Within that design it was built to last a lot longer than the type 1.

Bearing in mind.....that the use of it in a bus and its rather poor...not much better than the type 1...lifespan....does not count.

The type 4 engine was NEVER designed with the bus in mind. The type 4 design work actually started around 1966-1967. The first ones going into 411's in 1968. The bus was just starting to really take off in production numbers by that time and doing fine with the type 1 engine.

However as the bus got fatter and heavier and in higher numbers in the US market with US style driving...the short comings of the type 1 engine were enough that something better had to be found and the type 4 engine was already in the pipe so was co-opted and modified.

It was more expensive in the first place....there are less of them around...far less.....and there are simply not as many cheap aftermarket choices for them.

If you build it right....it will not have any lower of a life cycle than a stock engine....when used in a car like a 411/412/914/sand rail/ beetle or type 3.....but not a bus.
If you build it for high HP and its going to be used for drag racing.....its lifespan...while still better than the average type 1 magnesium case.... will be not be too different than any other ACVW.
Ray
busnutbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

I think many bus owners will agree that buses are not engine killers. I've run 1600 based dual carb motors in split buses for years with no issues. Keep it cool, don't abuse it and recognize that its a bus and not a bug.

My '67 double cab has enjoyed the past 20 years with a 2.0 liter type IV engine with a Joe Cali type upright fan conversion using the type IV oil cooler in an extended dog house. The truck has a 901 Porsche five speed and I can cruise all day long at 80 mph. Loaded with two people, dog and luggage for several weeks, the truck has made many long distance trips including two from Buffalo to central Florida and back. Top speed is 100 mph.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

busnutbob wrote:
I think many bus owners will agree that buses are not engine killers. I've run 1600 based dual carb motors in split buses for years with no issues. Keep it cool, don't abuse it and recognize that its a bus and not a bug.

My '67 double cab has enjoyed the past 20 years with a 2.0 liter type IV engine with a Joe Cali type upright fan conversion using the type IV oil cooler in an extended dog house. The truck has a 901 Porsche five speed and I can cruise all day long at 80 mph. Loaded with two people, dog and luggage for several weeks, the truck has made many long distance trips including two from Buffalo to central Florida and back. Top speed is 100 mph.

Sorry...they are tactually...engine killers.

A type 1 engined bus....is driven totally differently....and geared differently than a type 4 engibed bus. You cannot drive either like a sedan type car.

With any of the type 1s in a beetle, thing, type 3 etc....you cannot just throw caution to 5hecwind and cruise at 70+ all day without regard to amhient heat and hills. They bank heat in the heads and pil and slowly overheat. Anyone that tells you different...needs to buy some gauges.

But we know this...so you drive them slightly different. A type 1 in bus.....add 2.5X the wight and a 20% penalty for gearing and aerodynamics.....and a type 1 engine needs to be driven more carefully...and has a shorter life with more frequent serious maintenance intervals.

The type 4 engine....is actually detuned further than a type 1 to put in a bus. It does allow higher speed cruise but lifespqns are woefully short compared to a 412 or 91r....and in almlst every case.....a 150k mile type 4 bus engine virtually always needs a linebore and new heads.....and type 4 bus heads have a hahit of sinking seats.....while 411/412/914/912 based type 4 engine....virtually never have any of those issues.

Yes....buses....those lovely 4000lb+ boxes with the aerodynamics of a house brick..... trash engines. Ray
busnutbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

LOL!

I guess Volkswagen should have consulted with you before selling millions of buses - they could have saved so many engines.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

busnutbob wrote:
LOL!

I guess Volkswagen should have consulted with you before selling millions of buses - they could have saved so many engines.

You are not getting the point.

There was no reason in the rest of the world to install the type 4 engine in the bus. In fact...it was never even earmarked for the bus. It started out in 1968 in the 411 cars.

North American climate, highway speeds and driving,styles.......not to mention North American maintenance habits.....beat the crap out of the type 1 engines......not to mention the buses getting larger and heavier due to both consumer demand and changes in chassis for safety.

So they got a detuned....hotter running....chronicly overheating.....average 400° head temp producing....valve seat sinking...... half the engine mileage life producing .....and almost always having to have an align bore if they live to 150k miles......which is rare.......version of the type 4 engine...... (all of which are things that do not happen to type 4 engines when they are in tupe 4 or even type 3 cars)......yet still....with a type 4 engine the bus got better overall HP and torque engine and were able to keep up with us highway speeds in their overloaded state. Then they further screwed them up with emissions equipment.

All of that sh*t I just listed.....are characteristics of a type 4 engine....IN A BUS ONLY.

All of those things....are absolute rarities in a type 4 engine in any other vehicle.

I stand by my statement.......buses are cool looking, fun to drive.....overweight, crappily aerodyamic'd ......engine killers.
Ray
busnutbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

Now I DO understand, you must be living on an undiscovered planet.
VWmac58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 performance build Reply with quote

Quote:
I stand by my statement.......buses are cool looking, fun to drive.....overweight, crappily aerodyamic'd ......engine killers.
Ray

Acquired a 67 Kombi years ago and decided it was time to get the thing road worthy. Looking for a reliable engine build with sufficient power to keep up with traffic and provide years of service. Not looking to be the fastest on the freeway, but I don't wanna be down in 3rd gear pulling hills. I've been looking into a type IV conversion after coming across Raby's research. I know a reliable Type IV doesn't come cheap, but I think its a very reasonable way to go.
Tonight, I came upon your "engine killer" comment several times in this discussion and need some clarification. Are you referring to stock engine configurations only or would you consider any type IV build doomed for failure in a bus? Please help me understand. The weight and aerodymics of a bus are clearly negative factors which would shorten engine lifespan. That's obvious, but what could be done to a Type IV build to make it the reliable engine it was in the cars? Better cooling? More torque/horsepower/displacement? What exactly "kills" the engine in a bus?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: