Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time for some paint
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Now that pretty much the important things are now fixed it's time for the thing I wanted to do first when I bought the van.

It's now at the painters and for you in the area it will be done by Top Gun Automotive Restoration in Rocklin. They were recommended by a couple of people who deal with restoring cars. Top Gun also has a spray tent at the local Chevy dealership. I had met with Rick a few times over the years to discuss painting it and the scope has grown as my ideas of what I wanted to do changed, so they will be painting the complete outside, the jams and engine area. I stripped as much as I could to save on costs, removed the slider but did not remove the fairly new tent.

In my discussions with him I get a very good feeling about the work he did. We'll see, probably a month before it's finished, maybe sooner. We discussed paint options, I am keeping it the same Escorial Green, which I really like now. At first I didn't really like it. But it's unique and pretty rare to see and I didn't want to have a a different interior color.

So at first we were going to do a two stage and clear. He also recommended a single stage that they use on industrial equipment and vehicles which he says is really durable stuff and has a shine equal to a clear. He said for the money this would be better than the two stage paint. I went with the one stage.

Cost is $3,500, which seems fair to me. There's some rust and bodywork the needs to be done, I will be put it all back together with new seals, weatherstripping, dark tinted glass, referred handles and locks, swapping out the rears for vented windows, panels, plus a bunch of other little things getting replaced and replacing the rear and upper cabinets.

Here's some before pics

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

As someone who's spent lots of time around painters, and the fact there's ANY bodywork to be done, that sounds like a really fair price!

Who makes the paint, and what type is it?

(though I'm not up on current materials, just curious and can run it by a Pebble Beach-winning resto friend and client)

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

He was not sure of the name. I am going to ask next time I go there. I will try and get some progress pics.

Last edited by pomfritz on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

single stage is way to go, where I live it is illegal to use it.

that is some serious rust damage in the door hinge post area, tough to fix, make sure painter does not simply slap on a quicky patch without addressing the underlaying rust that may or maynot be present in the structure under the skin. seems like a low price considering all the body work, if done properly. Maybe you got a good deal. I like the bright green color, right choice in keeping it.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Yeah we went over some problem areas. That being one. So he was upfront about how he couldn't get to what was behind there and it could be an issue again. I'm going to try and seal the seams around there in the back later. Also lower driver side in windshield had some rust that popped a small hole. Not too bad though. Still pretty solid, but once again whats behind there? If some things pop up down the line I'll take care of it then. Rust is not really an issue around here, though it never sleeps.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:
Yeah we went over some problem areas. That being one. So he was upfront about how he couldn't get to what was behind there and it could be an issue again. I'm going to try and seal the seams around there in the back later. Also lower driver side in windshield had some rust that popped a small hole. Not too bad though. Still pretty solid, but once again whats behind there? If some things pop up down the line I'll take care of it then. Rust is not really an issue around here, though it never sleeps.

id look into cutting the skin out, and examining the rest behind the skin, the rust maybe months away from popping thru the entire length of the pillar, and spoil a 3.5K paint job. id remove the entire piece top to bottom, and replace with piece from other van. no way would i want to spend 3500 bucks and leave something like this lurking, look into this more, this is a real show stopper, should not be ignored, it will not get better on its own, trust me, deal with it now, before the paint. whats the moral, dont build a fine house on sand, build on firm ground.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Because it's not water-base, or...?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Great color Green Vanagon ! Very fair price. Single stage is the way to go with a van IMO. Easier/cheaper to touch-up than color/clear if need be in the future.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Because it's not water-base, or...?

air quality regulations, water based is now mandated. paint stores are no longer allowed to spray samples of the single stage for color matching for spot repairs have to travel far to get it.

TheArmand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

My van also has the slightest beginnings of rust forming in front of the door jam. Where does the moisture come from behind it? The passenger seam below the windshield?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

And yet the OP says his will be painted in single stage and his indicated location is California.

And I agree - that sounds like a very good price considering the work to be done.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Super awesome price. My Single stage paint cost options ran from 750-1500 for the van. Lots of body work there on the corners needing fixes. Can't just fill with bondo and some not-so-insignificant rust repair.

Its going to look great when done. Might want to pad your budget by a few thousand just in case.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

And yet the OP says his will be painted in single stage and his indicated location is California.

And I agree - that sounds like a very good price considering the work to be done.

I suspect the mandates are primarily in the big cities.

— Colin Chapman
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

I suspect the mandates are primarily in the big cities.

some areas of california have different rules than others. i must drive to santa cruz county to get half decent paint, santa clara, san mateo, alemeda, san fran counties have banned it for repaint jobs. Folsom is not in the afore mentioned counties. where i live paint stores cant spray samples even (unless they aquire the proper license, equipment, training and have regular inspections, not worth it for most paint stores), so no more samples sprayed for color matching at the paint store.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation. Smile

— Colin Chapman
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

So top gun is in placer county. Rick has brought up in the past issues with what he can't use anymore. Sounds like everything has to be waterbased.

Update: so I visited the shop to take some pics and discuss some items. They've made some nice progress on it. Just banging out the lower rear aches has gotten them looking pretty good. We discussed the area next to the passenger door. They did some cutting in to see what was going on. We agreed to just cut away a long strip perhaps less than 2" wide, depends what it takes to get to clean metal and replace it. Added cost $300. Their paint Rep was in and they discussed what paint to use. Decided on single stage U-Tech. I will attach some spec sheets. They were polishing a section to get an accurate sample of the color makeup with some type of camera analysis.

Very pleased with the work so far. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Borg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

I hope there aren't too many $300 bumps along the road.

If you haven't yet, start working on getting your hands on all the seals and gaskets. I've been piecing together what I need for my project from the usual vendors, nobody seems to have a complete kit in stock. Big van restoration time?

I like that green too but went with British Racing Green instead.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

I've been collecting stuff for the last two years. And now that I took it apart I have built a pretty good list of items still needed and having VC set them aside for me so they don't go out of stock when I get them. They are fantastic to work with.

I think this is the last bump. They spent alot longer than planned on the slider due to a poor prior repair of thick bondo. I'll add some to the final bill to make up for that. They didn't ask. Overall I think it's a very fair price and I've don't mind paying for work well done.

Per Rick their bread and butter are insurance bumper repairs and stuff like that that they whip out at $800 a pop.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

I would pull the rear bumper brackets as well as the rear License door. That way you can paint the brackets off the car and have one less thing to mask. I pulled my license plate door so that there would be no chance of paint contamination at the joint and you know its fully painted once done.
I like how far you have taken your van apart, it's what makes an average job great.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Time for some paint Reply with quote

Don't know if you mentioned this but have you budgeted the cost of all the seals, rubber trim and what not?
I figured that if you replaced all seals and trim, the cost of that would roughly be
$1000, depending on which vendor you use?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: