Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towing Issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Towing Issue Reply with quote

Starting a separate thread for this, as very focused question.

Today I set up my tow bar to practice towing my 1970 VW. After several turns and straights, I had the issue of the VW front wheels not following my truck. Key was positioned so steering wheel lock was unlocked, so steering wheel free; when front end is jacked up, I can readily pull on a front drum and make things move to right and left. Handbrake was off, VW definitely in neutral.

So after my turn the front wheels did not return to straight, felt like a violently rocking boat.

Question is: could this have something to do with the angle of the tow bar in relation to the truck, like is the white truck too high?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Question 2: my steering damper is pretty lame, needs replacing. Could this be the reason?

Thanks, appreciate any help from those who have towed VWs more than me.

My experience with VW tow bars is mostly from the 1970s, when we towed 1 dune buggy behind another. And I bought this tow bar in 1986 to rescue my VW from the California desert; since then I towed a Samba member about 5 miles, and my VW around the block 3 months ago to get it into position.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Issue Reply with quote

I have recently towed a 1970 with my Ram 2500 4x4. The angle is high and above that of a normal 1/2 ton truck height. I had no issues with the wheels turning on the Bug. In all of the times I have towed one, this truck or others, I noticed no difficulty like you describe. It appears something in the system does not like input from the wheel side.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Issue Reply with quote

This is not uncommon, especially if toe in isn't correct. Think of it as the steering is overcorrecting itself. The steering wheel acts as a flywheel if the steering changes suddenly, turning the front end beyond where it needs to be, then over correcting until it turns beyond where it needs to be the other direction. Slow down when cornering or stop if you have to & let the steering "find" center, if it doesn't, it's probably toed out or excessively toed in. The tow bar angle won't affect the steering but it could damage the apron if you found a large transition.

You can also try removing the steering wheel to see it it's the "flywheel " effect or a toe issue.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Issue Reply with quote

Hmmm - that 1998 Frontier is stock, and 214K miles. Yes, unloaded, the rear is somewhat high.

I measured on that Frontier 17.5 inches to the bottom of the ball.

On the 2005 Yukon, the center of the 2" receiver is 13.5 inches.

On my 1988 B2200 truck, if I had a ball on that, it would be about 14 inches to its bottom.

And that 5 mile helpful tow a few years ago for a Samba member was with that same Frontier truck ! And no issues then.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Issue Reply with quote

is there any fuel in the tank. I have found that when I flat tow my Baja, it responds much better with a full tank. As far as the steering damper, if it shot when you tow, the car may go from side to side. I found this out the hard way, and it would usually happen when the Baja hit a bump while going through a turn.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Issue Reply with quote

A rubber, or bungee cord wrapped around the horizontal section at the rim of the steering wheel, stretched and closed into either the wing window or door jam as the door is shut.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Issue Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
is there any fuel in the tank. I have found that when I flat tow my Baja, it responds much better with a full tank.

No, the tank was empty, so no weight up there.

DeathTrap wrote:
A rubber, or bungee cord wrapped around the horizontal section at the rim of the steering wheel, stretched and closed into either the wing window or door jam as the door is shut.
Thanks, I had forgotten about that trick.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Issue Reply with quote

Practice towing...never heard of that activity before. That rocking back and forth of the VW front wheels while towing does happen. Has happened to me on more then one vehicle. Your tow vehicle is fine.
Do replace the steering damper. Like mentioned above {[ bungee cord wrapped around the horizontal section at the rim of the steering wheel}] secured to say the seat or something.
When if ever was the last time the front end was aligned professionally???

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Issue Reply with quote

A lot of rails are towed like that with even less weight and no stabilizer. I think it has to be something with your beetle.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Issue Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
When if ever was the last time the front end was aligned professionally???

Like mid 1980s.

I think I'll get a steering damper too, about $28, the one on there is leaking, it must be 3 decades old.

cbeck wrote:
A lot of rails are towed like that with even less weight and no stabilizer. I think it has to be something with your beetle.

The beetle drives OK on the streets, don't notice anything funny about the front end or steering.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing Issue Reply with quote

I've experienced this towing a 76 super with an RV years ago (also had it happen with an MG Midget). With the RV the long rear overhang would pull the car slightly opposite the direction of the turn at first, then the wheels would snap to opposite lock and stay there, dragging the tires sideways. I found that slowing down more through the turn helped a lot. Weight in the trunk helped too. Flat towed a vanagon a lot too but never had trouble with that one, much heavier I guess.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: