Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which way did you mount your LT mirrors?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are your LT mirror bolt caps outboard, or inboard?
Outboard (Bolt head furthest from van body)
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
Inboard (Bolt head closest to van body)
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 15

iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

This may be fun. Or I may just have a problem...

Which way do y'all mount your LT mirrors? With the bolts/covers inboard or outboard?

Outboard (furthest from van body):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Inboard (closest to van body):

ETKA (appears to indicate that inboard is how it goes):

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

"Outboard" seems to defeat the purpose and doesn't appear to provide any advantage over stock mirrors. Plus, it looks goofy. "Inboard" is correct (to me Very Happy).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

A large number of install threads as well as gowesty pictures show these mounted inboard, however outboard mounting may be more appropriate if towing a trailer.

On a side note, thinking of installing LT mirrors in lieu of perfectly functioning power mirrors - is there a meaningful increase in visibility/blind spot reduction?
Leipo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

Tried both: i have more visibility with the outboard (i like to see just a little bit of the side if the van for reference in the mirror)
vw4wd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

I am confused by your choice of inboard & outboard descriptions (since what you say is 'outboard' has the mirror mounted inside the frame and vice versa).

However, here in the UK most people have them mounted in the way you show in your photo of 'outboard'. This is probably influenced by the relative narrowness of our roads and the potential for collision with the mirrors of oncoming vans. Also, a lot of our off-tarmac driving will frequently be in lanes which are narrow and overgrown, putting the mirrors into the hedges. This is where these mirrors have an distinct advantage as, unlike the standard mirrors, you can fold them in and out again without losing the setting.

On the rare occasions when I tow a caravan I fit the mirrors outwards to provide better vision past the wider body of the caravan.

Maybe it is just what I have got used to but I think they look much better with the mirrors mounted inside the frames.

1990 Transporter syncro camper with 2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

Yeah sorry about the descriptions. I thought using the bolt/cap as a reference point would be easier since the amount of mirror showing on one side of the arm vs the other is more nuanced - but in retrospect I could be wrong.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
A large number of install threads as well as gowesty pictures show these mounted inboard, however outboard mounting may be more appropriate if towing a trailer.

On a side note, thinking of installing LT mirrors in lieu of perfectly functioning power mirrors - is there a meaningful increase in visibility/blind spot reduction?

The LT mirrors offer much better visibility and reduce the bug spatter on the driver's and passenger's windows that the power mirrors seem to cause. The only major drawback is the loss of heated glass, but there is a heated version available (hard to find).
Mounting the mirror within the frame (what the OP called outboard) is most common, tighter to the body. I always thought it was a bit goofy the way they designed the bolt, however the mirrors were designed for trucks and VW was probably more interested in better visibility around a load. It's nice you can change the configuration for your needs.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

Good thread. I never caught that you could do this with these mirrors. Can someone show me a pic of these folded to the side of the van (for storage or tight trails)?

Has anyone took sections out (cut and weld back together) of the upper and lower tube frames to get them even more snug to the van? Is there possible wing window interference, if that is done? Sorry, but sometimes I see a van pic from strictly front on, and they look totally goofy, way too far out. I see they probably function quite well, and I like that they mount to the top door section. I am wavering on the LT set up, newer jeep mirrors (power/heated) or if someone has some stock power ones laying around... Cool

Thanks all!
schenks13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

"Can someone show me a pic of these folded to the side of the van (for storage or tight trails)?"

I'd love to see some pics, as well!
'94 Jetta
Old Town Tripper 172
Mad River Courier
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

Outboard. I considered both ways, but the narrower was sufficient for excellent views, and less issues with parking in Texas, where 75% of vehicles are large trucks with wide mirrors.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

Franagon wrote:
Good thread. I never caught that you could do this with these mirrors. Can someone show me a pic of these folded to the side of the van (for storage or tight trails)?

Has anyone took sections out (cut and weld back together) of the upper and lower tube frames to get them even more snug to the van? Is there possible wing window interference, if that is done? Sorry, but sometimes I see a van pic from strictly front on, and they look totally goofy, way too far out. I see they probably function quite well, and I like that they mount to the top door section. I am wavering on the LT set up, newer jeep mirrors (power/heated) or if someone has some stock power ones laying around... Cool

Thanks all!

Have you seen the rover mirrors? More popular in Europe. I have the LT mirrors, at first I thought these are big and dumbo inspired. Now these are one of the best upgrades I've done.
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Which way did you mount your LT mirrors? Reply with quote

I just searched the rover mirrors. I take it you mean Land Rover. Those look pretty easy upgrade and size as well. More and more I am leaning to the LT mirrors. Sounds like a lot of folks have loved them after installation and use. I love TheSamba! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: