Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

original hub caps
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
p91fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: original hub caps Reply with quote

what are they worth have a set of 5 first year 911
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Hubcaps Reply with quote

If they are in great shape, ie no dings or scratches and are not hazy, then I would be interested in talking to you. If they are dinged and scratched they are worth very little, maybe $5 at a swap meet. If the crests are originals with orange stripes, not todays red stripes, they would be worth more than the hub cap itself. If they are the non-colored crests, they too are worth very little.

I hope this helps!

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
p91fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no scatches ding and an orange stripe very new looking
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: original hub caps Reply with quote

So I have a set of original Lemmertz 11/62 date coded wide five rims Im using on my project.

They came with nipple caps. I know these have been repoped to hell and back and was wondering how to tell an original? Above I read orange lines as opposed to red?

Any other tips?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: original hub caps Reply with quote

Are the hubcaps date stamped and with a manufacturer's logo? They can be off by a month or so from the wheels since the Porsche assembly line, such as it was back then, just used what was at hand. That's why my Roadster wheels, while original to the car are a mix of 12/59 and 1/60 date codes. There are other ways to tell as well but I would start there.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: original hub caps Reply with quote

I will look and see if they are stamped. If not then they should be repops, correct?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: original hub caps Reply with quote

I'm trying to find my stash of "original" hubcaps. I definitely have repros on my car (in case they get stolen) and you can tell by the fact that the contour blends are very sharp on the typical repros while the originals are "blended" if you will. But that's no guarantee--a properly stamped cap is the key.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: original hub caps Reply with quote

Keep in mind I have the Super 90 nipple caps. I know the other C's are stamped but have not seen reference to the nipples having a stamp? Im going to look at them and take some pics tomorrow - at the storage.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: original hub caps Reply with quote

Hi Jason,
You are correct. The "C" caps I have are stamped. I'm pretty sure I have one non repro nipple cap on my B. Since my stash is buried somewhere in my garage, I will pull the cap off the car and look for stampings.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: original hub caps Reply with quote

OK, yanked the hubcap off the car. No stampings but that cap is at least 40 years old--not a newer repro. So I guess unless someone else has a stamped cap the nipples didn't have them.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: original hub caps Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
OK, yanked the hubcap off the car. No stampings but that cap is at least 40 years old--not a newer repro. So I guess unless someone else has a stamped cap the nipples didn't have them.

I didn't think so and vaguely remember this question in my mind some 25 years ago holding a set and wondering the same thing.

Nipple caps are the tough ones. Super 90 caps being repopped to no end as the "Porsche Rim" CalLook craze swept us through the 80's. That set up was the quintessential baller on a budget go to for the performance driven wide five VW owner.

I remember not wanting to have anything to do with them back in the day. Because everyone had them!

So here are the pics of mine from today. Red for sure on the crests.

Repop or not repop?

So just because hub caps are some boring shit - here is other stuff Im into Cool The bird is the word.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: original hub caps Reply with quote

Well with almost 2000 hits on this thread - Id of thought there was an answer for this post? Confused

As with most things in life - doing for yourself yields the best things.

So I combed the internet looking for what people say are real caps. I found two good sources.

A fellow on ebay sell some caps he has had for many years and came off a car he said was 2 years old when he got it - so he says they were og. But they have no markings at all

This is one of those caps.

Now the paint comes up as a marker for real Porsche caps. Red being fake and Orange/Orange reddish being real.

I have yet to see any of these Super 90 caps with the orangish color. If the above is real - then it looks red to me, no?

Next compelling info. I found a guy claiming NOS in the box. His Im inclined is the real deal. No questions. In looking at the C small 5 caps - on the back of those crests you can barely see the badge outline and they have a maker mark on the left and right sides. The badge looks heavier and filled out.

Look at this next pic. This is of my badge from the set I purchased with my real rims. Notice you can see the badge clearly from the back and it has no marks either side?

Now see these pics of the NOS in the box.

This is the face side of the ones I belive to be real as seen above.

So it looks like a good marker to see if you have real ones is on the back of the badge? Im still waiting on a guru steeped in 356 bolts that may shed light on variances, different manufacture, differences with later genuine parts as opposed to original - OEM vrs NOS.

So thats what I found - I have aftermarket crap caps Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: original hub caps Reply with quote

Jason, my $0.02 is that you have either OG or very early NOS caps. The red color on the crests and the radii where the cap blends into the raised area both at the base and the top leads me to believe this. My repops have a more orange color on the crests and the radii are much more abrupt and sharp. FWIW--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: