Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buses and... Aviation?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I've been here for a couple years now and it really seems like there are a lot of folks here who are somehow involved with Aviation, either professionally or as a hobby. I'm really just curious who is here and why does it seem (at least to me) that there is a higher than expected percentage.

I have a degree in Aviation and a commercial license, though I only worked in the lower levels of the industry for a few years before I had to go another direction.

Just curious I guess..
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

West coast known to have a plane company or two >> Less Rust >> Old cars >> VW scene

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

may also have something to do with vw aircooled engines been used in kit planes.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

Hippies like to get high?

Laughing
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

Original early buyers of VWs tended to be folks who had exposure to them in Europe. That often included military background. German's were known for complex yet simple designs on things - cars, cameras, aircraft, early adopters of missiles etc. They were working on nuclear weapon in the 1940's. That level of sophistication tended to draw in groups who had a high percentage of engineers, aviation and aviation industry employees etc. The old crowd here often fits into this area, and some of the younger ones here who are very knowledgeable had parents or grandparents in that group who introduced them. The hippy wanna get high group is prone to trying it and then moving one when they find how much money and work it is to maintain a 50 year old bus, and pay attention while driving stoned or texting. There are also many aviators who appreciate the wonders of the world, and VW buses are the perfect vehicle for experiencing that. If you have ever driven in Yosemite in a sunroof bay with the sunroof open it is better than being in a convertible there (done both). I imagine the old open cockpit planes were like that. That is my 2 cents worth.
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I was told that the engines on small airplanes is essentially the same as the VW engine. I was at my friend's dad's airplane hangar after i had got my bug and before we went on a flight he pointed to the motor and said "look familiar?" and then that is what he told me.

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is definitely a connection with airplanes, as they are the perfect cheap, and light automotive engines out there. they are designed to run at a constant 3400rpms to, witch is what yoT want in an airplane.

The engine pictured above was developed by Lennard Millhalland in Texas. It uses a full case, with a shortened crank. He also designed the Legal Eagle ultralight airplane that uses this modified engine. There is another guy here in AZ now, named Scott Cassler, that is building 1/2 VW engines of his father-in-laws work, named Morry Hummel.

I built this engine from Lennard's plans about ten years ago now. it runs good and strong. I recently acquired it back after I sold it a few years back
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

There was a topic here a while ago asking if anyone was an A&P mechanic. There are all kinds of folks here involved in aviation. Me? Just a USNR
F4 & F8 plane captain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:

F4 & F8 plane captain.

Nice! What years were you flying those in the navy?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I suppose my avatar and name don't exactly make me subtle.

I currently fly an Airbus for discount airline with Bright Yellow planes. Been in aviation nearly 20 years now too. I know we have a few other pilots here that I have flown with that have vintage VWs.

Flew Embraer 145 and 170s previously for a regional carrier as a Captain, as well as spent a year flying ATR 42/72 around the Caribbean out of Puerto Rico.

Banner towed, single pilot night cargo... fly dates in a High school, long before I could ever rent a car.

It's been a great hobby that turned into a prosperous career thus far!

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)

Last edited by aerosurfer on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

Aerosurfer, I did some banner tow also, in addition to the normal CFI work, etc.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

Where in NH are you? I got my private and instrument in Beverly field north of Boston. I did a lot of cross country to Lebanaon, Laconia and up that way.

I never got my cfi. I really wanted to do some dirty different flying, especially in taildraggers. Flew summer 2001 in New Jersey, and spring break thru September 2003 in Panama City, Fl. The grass strip we had down there was a Florida bush flying at its finest!

One of my favorite websites for finding old airports and closed fields is http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm

Panama City Beach airfield is the first airport in this link.... http://www.airfields-freeman.com/FL/Airfields_FL_Tallahassee.htm#panamacity

Those are my pictures from 2003 on there.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of nowhere in Southwest NH, but nearly all of my flying was based out of Nashua, ASH. Very busy airport for its size.

Flown into Beverly, Lebanon, and Laconia many many times!

I went the CFI route but the company I worked for also did banner tow, sky writing, and Charter ops. Fun stuff!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I don't know what you're talking about?

Oh wait, I had dinner with Aerosurfer last night. Today I worked on Tom Powell's bus (Aloha Airlines). Telford Dorr was here too (ex airplane owner).
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

It's not a bus, but Lindberghs favorite car was a VW beetle. He took the passenger seat out so he could pull over and sleep in it. He needed a Westy....
I help my buddy wrench on his Broussard, does that count? Nine cylinders of radial air cooled goodness!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I would say yes to that it attracts well let's say - engineers. Be it Aviation and or widgets.

Im none but seem to be surrounded by the type in my affliction here in Seattle with VW's. Type 2 and Type 3. A ACVW thing I guess.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I fly for an airline that used to be the original low cost carrier out of Dallas Smile

I got into the vw scene again (had a couple as a younger man) because I wanted to build an airplane with William Wynnes corvair conversion...

Which reminded me of my vw days

which made me buy a 70 bay

which made me want to put a corvair motor in it...

Smile
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I worked as an engineer for Boeing after college. My favorite job was working in Flight Test, testing the 737-700. After about 4 months of testing, there was pounds of dried puke down the fuselage walls and into the cargo compartment from engineers suffering thru dozens of wind-up turns.
Even though I was the rookie, I never tossed my cookies! It was the seasoned guys spilling their guts. (Gotta be proud of something you did, right?)

I have a pic of the plane in flight test configuration, but there's no Bay Window in it so can't post it. Sad
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
OB Bus wrote:

F4 & F8 plane captain.

Nice! What years were you flying those in the navy?

Not flying -- just a 19 year old enlisted puke. Preflights, ground checks, postflights, daily, fuel, tires and wash jobs.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

For all you gals/guys who fly both in service( thank you) and commercial ..i Stan do and salute. I fly on business enough that they put my name in an iPad at the door when I get off. I still fall short of the my colleague who has a name written on a plane, though. I think his schedule would kill me in a week.

I have proudly contributed to the puke coating on many flights
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: