Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buses and... Aviation?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
For all you gals/guys who fly both in service( thank you) and commercial ..i Stan do and salute. I fly on business enough that they put my name in an iPad at the door when I get off. I still fall short of the my colleague who has a name written on a plane, though. I think his schedule would kill me in a week.

I have proudly contributed to the puke coating on many flights

You are friends with the Donald?

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I am unaffiliated with Electoral College President Trump, in any way, shape, or firm.

There is a passenger with so many miles he has a plane named after him. I believe he is up to 17M actual miles flown last I checked. That's real miles, not the fake frequent flyer miles.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

There's a guy here on thesamba.com who is a flight attendant based here in my home town. Bill Bowman aka BulliBill. He's into splitties though.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

A male FA that's into splitties? I guess it's possible.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

There's a FA working for Alaska/Horizon Air based in the Portland area who's into Bays and pretty much anything VW that I get camping and shit-shooting with on occasion. Yet even though I've flown one of "his" routes over a dozen times, we've never been on the same plane...
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I once broke down and shipped a front seat to a hotel in Miami. The guy buying was a FA for Iberia who was always shopping on the road.

I do this too when im on the road, classifieds by zip code and local craigslist too

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
I once broke down and shipped a front seat to a hotel in Miami. The guy buying was a FA for Iberia who was always shopping on the road.

I do this too when im on the road, classifieds by zip code and local craigslist too
Your photo makes me nervous......I know the engine isn't running, but it still makes me nervous. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I want an airplane, but I've spent too much money on cars. Oh well, they're cheaper than women.

( Reminds me of the George Best quote: "I spent my money on girls, booze, and cars, the rest I just squandered.")

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

Remember.....

If it floats, flies, or fucks; its often cheaper to rent than buy!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There is a passenger with so many miles he has a plane named after him. I believe he is up to 17M actual miles flown last I checked. That's real miles, not the fake frequent flyer miles.

That's a lot of radiation exposure! Idea

aerosurfer wrote:
Remember.....

If it floats, flies, or fucks; its often cheaper to rent than buy!

To quote our new so-called President ТРЪМП, "vagina is expensive", bringing his characteristically high level of discourse to the highest office in the land.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
A male FA that's into splitties? I guess it's possible.

Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

It really is nutty how many folks here are involved with aviation and ACVW.

People I've met or know personally (omitted Samba name for privacy unless they've stated it on the forum):

Tom Powell- Retired commercial pilot
1x Active commercial jet mechanic
1x former USAF C-5 Glaxay mechanic
1x Boeing Engineer.
1x Boeing fabricator, retired
1x Flight attendant
1x Active commercial pilot
Abscate- 3rd home is on some random jet Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I've been retired from the airlines for 10 years now but still work on turbine engines. Industrial gas turbine engines.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I did airframe work for FedEx for 5 years, and then I realized I hated working on airplanes
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

I didn't realize how many aspects of teaching people to fly I disliked until I stopped.

Laughing
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

This may be a really tenuous connection but for 4 years I was head of QA for a small aerospace parts firm.. (now defunct ... I think)
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

Last August I quit my job of six years as the Airport Operations guy for the Astoria Airport. I pumped fuel, took care of the lighting, kept the runways clear, chased elk and geese off, and generally acted as if I owned the damn place. Since I drove one of my 4 ACVW's on most days, I got a lot of "yeah, I used to own a VW". Lots of pilots and airplane mechanics appreciate air-cooled engines. They share a lot of similarities. Somewhere I have a picture of the 72 with a 1946 Beech 18. (Sky King's airplane for you old fucks.) I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

One of the pilots who rent hangers there is Krist Novoselic. He saw me driving my 65 bug one summer and we got into a discussion about VW's. He has several at his place in Deep River. He had just finished rebuilding his 68 Beetle engine himself. He came back from doing the Grammys with Paul McCartney a couple years back and drove his Beetle home. Laughing I think he has a single cab and a Thing too.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

Dad and I have always been fascinated by all things aviation. We dreamed for many years of building a Volkspane but were always too broke. The engine now resides in my sand rail, Dad is gone but I still have the '69 bay window he bought to haul us kids!
By the way, he was into model C/L planes and I am deep into RC scale planes and gliders.

Yes it's that air cooled thing that pulls us together for sure!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Remember..... If it floats, flies, or fucks; its often cheaper to rent than buy!

Don't know about that. I only paid $4k for a Cessna 150 way back when. Yeah, it was slow, but it beat the hell out of driving any day. Biggest problem(s) with renting:

- it's never there when you need it.
- you can't get a large number of days because someone else has signed up for an hour in the middle of your 5 day trip.
- it's down for (unscheduled) maintenance.
- the last ahole to use it broke a radio or nav, and didn't tell anybody
- the coms suck from overuse
- etc.
No, owning is the way to go... At least you know the condition, and if it's not airworthy, it's only your fault.

Of course, back then ('74?), you could fly it over to Chino (CA), and do a "supervised" annual. You did all of the wrench work while an A&P looked over your shoulder to make sure it was done right. Of course, you had to have ALL of your own airframe and powerplant manuals, and you had to use the checklists from those manuals to get signed off. But for a couple hundred bucks, you got a first rate annual and an education to go with it.

In today's legal climate, I suppose that's impossible now...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Buses and... Aviation? Reply with quote

1961: 35 hours in Cessna 150 and soloed as a part of University of Hawaii Air Force ROTC

1962: Graduated in General Engineering from UH and commissioned as a 2nd Lt in the USAF
another 15 hours in Cessna 150 and a private pilot's license

1963-64: USAF undergraduate pilot training Reese AFB TX in T-37 and T-38

1964: C-124 training at Tinker AFB OK

1964-1968: Stationed at Hickam AFB Hawaii flying C-i24's transpacific West and East
2800 hours, fourteen engine failures
four months on the ground in Vietnam

1968: Three months with Hawaiian Airlines flying Convair 640's then furloughed

1969: Aloha Airlines First Officer flying Viscounts

1970: Aloha Airlines First Officer flying B737-200

1981: purchased '69 VW camper for $1800

1982-1997: Aloha Airlines Captain flying B737 200 and 400

January 18 1997: mandatory retirement at age sixty

Total flying time ≈ 20,000 hours
Total landings ≈ 18,000
Hard landings: three

I've passed every check ride
I've flown at Mach 1.2
I've had a ground speed of over 1000MPH
I've seen the curvature of the earth
I've been to Maui about 7,000 times
I've seen the sun rise in the West
I saw a solar eclipse from 15,00 feet with Mauna Kea as a backdrop
I've seen three green flashes in one evening:
taxiing at HNL, climb out to the West as the sun rose, and on descent into Kauai

2017: San Diego for center pin replacement by Gary. Telford swapped my Dansk heat exchangers for some OG's.

Happy Landings.
Remember to take your power naps.
Don't forget to take your landing pills.
Keep the shiny side up.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: