Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Led interior lights
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Led interior lights Reply with quote

I am planning on led lights for the interior of my bus. Does anyone have led lights or light strips in the interior of there vw and where do i get them?
any pics?
thanks erb
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

https://www.superbrightleds.com/ is the leading preference for LEDs

when I know what/where I want them I buy cheapies of Fleabay
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

I usually buy off of AliExpress or dx.com.

Try a festoon light that measures between 39-42 mm. I recommend warm white.

LED light strips are easily found on eBay or on the above-mentioned sites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

Princess Auto has a nice selection of strips and bulbs if you want something local.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

static wrote:
I recommend warm white.

I concur. That is a color temperature of 2700 to 3000 K.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

LEDs? We have a few:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Warm White led ribbon is sometimes called "tungsten" from certain suppliers.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

I bought this 10 pack: https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Lighting-Recessed-Cei...ighting+10. 4 in the main cabin provide more than enough light to see and find things, 2 in the cockpit (spliced into the dome light circuit) are blinding when you open the door. I put two more in the panel on the back hatch with a separate switch for lighting outside the bus around the engine compartment when the hatch is open (I don't have any pictures of this in action yet though).

Here's how they look installed: https://www.instagram.com/p/BKMMIxGArHg/?taken-by=sixer.bus

And here's how they look in action. Forgive the mess, taken while bus was in construction mode.

According to my meter, they draw 0.215A each. They get warm, but not hot at all. They are warm white as well.
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

I ran cheap chinese strips down each side of my bus. Full spectrum "dimmer" switch to control brightness. OEM light sucked so I fixed that right away!

Make sure you get a "soft white" color about 2,700-3,000 Kelvins

Here's them full blast in my pitch dark garage

Door shut

Hard to see (only pick I had) but you can see the strip laid on the raw steel channel right under the OEM light fixture. Don't ask, it was 20 degrees at a music festival so I was risking dying from CO poisoning Laughing Sad

Stuff I used is cheap as hell but it has worked for 3 years so far lol https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GL5UG2
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

Sprink1es wrote:
Hard to see (only pick I had) but you can see the strip laid on the raw steel channel right under the OEM light fixture. Don't ask, it was 20 degrees at a music festival so I was risking dying from CO poisoning Laughing Sad

Lighting looks great! As for the heater...aren't they rated for indoor use? I have used my big buddy heater for a few years with no ill effects (noticeable anyway Rolling Eyes ). We sleep up top so maybe the canvas helps to breath a little bit.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

I had a how-to video on installing LED lights in my bus but it was 30 min long so I didn't post it. It's really easy though
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
Lighting looks great! As for the heater...aren't they rated for indoor use? I have used my big buddy heater for a few years with no ill effects (noticeable anyway Rolling Eyes ). We sleep up top so maybe the canvas helps to breath a little bit.

The BuddyHeater says it is safe for indoor use because it has some sort of low oxygen shutoff. I think the biggest liability is having the propane tank indoors. Fine if it's sealed correctly, but if it leaks... that's why they sell the long hoses. I just tightened the crap out of my tank and cracked 2 windows, worked fine when I was in there for a few hours

Back to the lights though. I still haven't done it yet, but I wish I had another switch (and dimmer) back by the hatch where I sleep on the z-bed. Currently I put it up by my headlight switch. Many times I wake up at night and have to use a flashlight which is silly when the LEDs are right there
SixStringMadMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

sixer wrote:
I bought this 10 pack: https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Lighting-Recessed-Cei...ighting+10. 4 in the main cabin provide more than enough light to see and find things, 2 in the cockpit (spliced into the dome light circuit) are blinding when you open the door. I put two more in the panel on the back hatch with a separate switch for lighting outside the bus around the engine compartment when the hatch is open (I don't have any pictures of this in action yet though).

Here's how they look installed: https://www.instagram.com/p/BKMMIxGArHg/?taken-by=sixer.bus

And here's how they look in action. Forgive the mess, taken while bus was in construction mode.

According to my meter, they draw 0.215A each. They get warm, but not hot at all. They are warm white as well.

Those look great!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

Another thought is that you can replace the interior 'dome' lights with LEDs.
I did this so that I didn't have to worry about having the lights on, or the door open when we're camping 'off grid'. I chose orange/yellow, rather than bright white, and we love them!
Our main interior light, in the middle of the pop-top, is a block of three wide angle white LEDs. Super bright, low current draw, perfect for dark evenings (but I don't have a picture!)

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

Sprink1es wrote:

Stuff I used is cheap as hell but it has worked for 3 years so far lol https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GL5UG2

Curious how you wired the lights up. Where did you get the power lead for both strips that you have installed? Did you just run a wire from the front fuse panel?
I took your advice and got the rolls of LEDs on Amazon. Replaced the original light with three little strips of LEDs stuck to inside, and boy what a difference it makes. For this light I obviously used the original power lead. Now just trying to decide how to get a few more power leads to some additional strips.

Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

From my response on the 'Hacks' thread

aerosurfer wrote:

I added some LED Hit lights off amazon. Compliments of Stu, whose lights looked great at the campsite, I did my own. A 5 meter length is perfect to go from Headbanger across the front and almost back to the closet. I didn't want to hack bad, or make a future owner hate me, so I powered it from the Defrost switch and circuit. The only change from stock was using the hot battery line for the sink power directly to the switch. I just ran a new wire from the black fuse holder directly to the defrost switch and taped off the stock wiring. This way I can use the lights without needing the key.

In back I ran another fused line along the right side of the headbanger cabinet with some stick on wire holders for support. as well as using a trim screw for the ground. The lights and connectors were purchased off amazon and are self stick on. Everything is reversible back to stock with no drilling necessary and all wiring is out of normal sight (my pet peeve) Thoughts? Comments?

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

And more shots

aerosurfer wrote:
Finally got some night pics of the lights. I love them! Cant attreat to thier durability yet but they look great.

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

Jezus...that's bright lol. I have the same roll and stick lights, and used some of them to replace the original interior westy light. Love them. I thought of doing what you showed above, but just don't know if I like the idea of having strip lights with no cover or anything on them. I just don't want it to look "half assed," if you will.
But for the sake of making it easy, your suggestion may win my vote.

Shocked

aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

They are bright.... i havent been out at night with them to see how it really looks in the field. They are small and subtle for being in plain sight and stuck along the headliner as not to be too intrusive. I know o can always get some of the dimmer and toys to add onto the lights as well.

If nothing else using the defrost circuit was so easy for wiring without cutting anything stock. Id recommend that for simplicity and stock anyday

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

I don't remember if I thought of this idea my self, or if I saw someone else throw it out there (seems likely!)... But I think it could be neat to remove the flat panels just above the windows (held in by the metal strip below, and trim above, as well as a few screws) and replace it with some kind of semi-transparent white plastic strips.

Hide the LEDs in there, and make the panels light up!

The only reason I might not want to do that is it might make it feel like an office! But if done right, would add a cool glowing effect.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
sixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Led interior lights Reply with quote

Aerosurfer, I think those pics just sealed the deal for me, going to pick up a roll of those to try out for engine bay and miscellaneous lighting. I like things bright!

Side note, I saw this thread pop up again and figured I'd show this feature I've come to love. We put two of the round recessed led lights in the rear hatch panel. Switch is on the panel too, so you can open it and turn the lights on. Gives incredible light for working behind the bus. I bet you could do this with the peal and stick strip lights just as well.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: