Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fast-Attack-Vehicle-Desert-Patrol-Vehicle-Chenowth-Sand-Rail
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Fast-Attack-Vehicle-Desert-Patrol-Vehicle-Chenowth-Sand-Rail Reply with quote

I saw this on bring a trailer and thought it was cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/04/18/1982-chenowth-fast-attack-vehicle/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fast-Attack-Vehicle...v4exp=true
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awful crude to be factory built.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple were built quite a few years ago as a experimental vehicle for Army Rangers or Seals or whom ever.... Do not know if they ever got into production and were ever used in training or combat... Used to be info on Chenowth web site...

Not sure about this pic because the ones I remember had platform over motor and a M2 (50 cal.) or M60 mount or radar or GPS transponders on roll cage....

https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&rlz=1G...x5hozPBmPc

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Valen76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marines had those. I remember when they got rid of them. Every body was trying to buy them. I have seen them in top working condition in several parades. That one is in really bad shape and is missing a lot of stuff. All the ones I have ever seen were desert camo.
68 VW Ecotec Baja Bug
86 Honda TRX310R
98 30' Bounder
06 Chevy Avalanche
md perf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone in michigan has one thats complete..... seen it a couple years ago at a buggy show
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that thing a couple years back too. I have no idea who owns it though.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
rdfrancis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fast-Attack-Vehicle-Desert-Patrol-Vehicle-Chenowth-Sand-Rail Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread but just discovered it. That would be my car. It was at Russell's Museum when I got it. You can see more of it and many more FAV's on my website www.fastattackvehicle.com
Here is a photo of it today. Still working on it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fast-Attack-Vehicle-Desert-Patrol-Vehicle-Chenowth-Sand-Rail Reply with quote

In several of the pictures on that web site and the one above , it looks like the fenders are not formed metal but some kind of heavy leather and or fabric metal combo. or is that just because they are all bent up.?

http://www.usarmysignalcorps.com/FAV/FAVrmmKeenan%20(6).JPG
rdfrancis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fast-Attack-Vehicle-Desert-Patrol-Vehicle-Chenowth-Sand-Rail Reply with quote

They are a thick piece of Goodyear rubber with metal strips behind them. They can be straightened out pretty easy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fast-Attack-Vehicle-Desert-Patrol-Vehicle-Chenowth-Sand-Rail Reply with quote

rdfrancis wrote:

Looking good, but just FYI those fan shrouds are complete garbage.
rdfrancis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fast-Attack-Vehicle-Desert-Patrol-Vehicle-Chenowth-Sand-Rail Reply with quote

I agree. The originals were the same shape and made of heavy aluminum. These are thin steel and I had to cut a bunch off the bottom to clear the raised roof block.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast-Attack-Vehicle-Desert-Patrol-Vehicle-Chenowth-Sand-Rail Reply with quote

Typical of the US Military, the Chenowth FAVs, intended and designed for use as a "Fast Attack Vehicle" in open desert warfare situations, mostly got placed at such logical locations as Ft Lewis Washington...Thick forest and deep mud. A place where that sort of vehicle was totally useless. And far from any place where they would be likely to be useful in combat. My next door neighbor and another close friend both told me of seeing them sitting there rusting away, unused when the guys were there for "training".

I felt that having the 3rd seat up top for the gunner was totally foolish and while the gun location made sense, it should have been operated by a gunner in the right front seat at a savings of nearly 500lbs off a "light vehicle".
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rdfrancis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast-Attack-Vehicle-Desert-Patrol-Vehicle-Chenowth-Sand-Rail Reply with quote

Dusty... Do you own the yellow FAV that I have on my website?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast-Attack-Vehicle-Desert-Patrol-Vehicle-Chenowth-Sand-Rail Reply with quote

rdfrancis wrote:
Dusty... Do you own the yellow FAV that I have on my website?

While I would LIKE to own an FAV, ... Nope. Aint me. I've never owned a Chenowth, nor any other ex-military vehicle.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rdfrancis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast-Attack-Vehicle-Desert-Patrol-Vehicle-Chenowth-Sand-Rail Reply with quote

My Fast attack Vehicle is almost done. It will be on display at the Southern Outpost Military Vehicle show at Renningers in Mount Dora Florida Feb 23-26 2017. Hundreds of other Military vehicles too.
See mine at www.fastattackvehicle.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: