Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front end and CVs advice
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sally the Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Front end and CVs advice Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I need to replace my CV joints and ball joints on my 73 bus and now I'm caught in the whole "might as well replace other stuff while I'm in there". let me know what you think of my list and what else I should be looking at while I'm replacing these things and what might be unnecessary.

Here is my list of things to order:
- Rebuilt torsion arms with ball joints
- Tie rod ends (passenger side) non adjustable tie rod (driver side)
- Center link pin
- Inner and outer wheel bearings (front and rear)
- Drag Link
- Sway Bar bushings
- CV joints

btw most of my boots in the front suspension/steering are either starting o crack or about to crack.

Thanks
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front end and CVs advice Reply with quote

I bet your CVs are good and just need to be disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt. There are several videos on YouTube that show how to do this. New CV boots should be used and EMPI actually makes really good CV boots. They are hard to find but you can get them from Chirco in Tucson.

Why not replace the whole tie rod? Then you could buy two adjustable rods (both left) and get rid of the non adjustable one. Don't forget the alignment when you have everything back together.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Sally the Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front end and CVs advice Reply with quote

thats what I'm doing to my CVs I actually already got the boots fort he driver side and a whole new shaft for the passenger side since it started popping when I turn.

I thought its better to have one non adjustable one for alignment. Is that wrong?

I am planning on taking it to a shop close by to do the alignment after all is set and done.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end and CVs advice Reply with quote

Having just dealt with setting my toe-in and correcting the steering wheel position properly on my Squareback, I would MUCH rather have one fixed tie rod and one adjustable tie rod. Very Happy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end and CVs advice Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Having just dealt with setting my toe-in and correcting the steering wheel position properly on my Squareback, I would MUCH rather have one fixed tie rod and one adjustable tie rod. Very Happy

While the non adjustable rod might be preferable it is easy enough to take the adjustable rod, get its length correct and then never touch it again.
Sally the Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Front end and CVs advice Reply with quote

I guess the benefit I see with having all of the tie rods adjustable is that in the future I can replace only the ends and save a money money.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: