Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

My 1.6TD hosted an unhappy meeting between a couple of valves and their respective cylinders, leading to bent stems...so I'm looking for a new, or at least reputably rebuilt head.
This is a JX engine: turbo and solid lifter. All I have found so far are NA heads--does anyone have a good line on one of these?
Thanks!

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kernewek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

Here in Europe new JX heads are available, manufactured by AMC in Spain. I don't know if they've suppliers Stateside but you could order one from the UK or Spain no problem.

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/type25-bus/0681032...StartRow=1

HTH

Craig
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

Thanks! However, shipping eats up the budget quickly.
I have the old head at the shop to see if it's salvageable.

Really, no solid lifter turbo heads in North America?

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

the seller vwmotors also sells almost all parts needed for the 1.6 turbo diesel and should have replacement heads.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=819863
rlevans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

I agree with the above, Quality German Auto Parts (VW motors) will have everything you need, they take pride in carrying all GERMAN parts and they are easy to deal with.
It would be a one stop shop: head, tensioner, belt, etc
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

dr. no wrote:
My 1.6TD hosted an unhappy meeting between a couple of valves and their respective cylinders, leading to bent stems...so I'm looking for a new, or at least reputably rebuilt head.
This is a JX engine: turbo and solid lifter. All I have found so far are NA heads--does anyone have a good line on one of these?
Thanks!

Same cylinder head.

Intake valves are both 34mm on 1.6 NA and TD , and if they are smaller, you're not gonna feel the difference anyway Laughing

replacement parts are 068109601C for NA and TD (originally listed only for NA), you cannot find the 068109601D for TDanymore, it's becoming very hard though... so, same head. Keep your TD camshaft though just to be on the safe side (although they should be the same too: 068109101B).
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

kernewek wrote:
Here in Europe new JX heads are available, manufactured by AMC in Spain. I don't know if they've suppliers Stateside but you could order one from the UK or Spain no problem.

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/type25-bus/0681032...StartRow=1

I was reading on the BRICKWERK forum that the AMC heads are not recommended... can anyone confirm this?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

To back up what Alika said, I don't think there is a real difference in cylinder heads between the 1.6 NA and the 1.6 TD. The problem is there were not a lot of TD's sold in the US compared to the NA engines. So that accounts for why they are so rare now. When VW did upgrade the cylinder heads was with the Super Charged 4 cylinder Corrado. I believe it had a thicker deck and it may have been cast from a better material. I could also be completely wrong.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

the turbo diesel heads contained Sodium filled exhaust valves.
the NA heads didn't.

source some sodium exhaust valves for your replacement. but I've never really worried about it.. then again I was driving $500 rabbits when I was going thru Diesel heads
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
To back up what Alika said, I don't think there is a real difference in cylinder heads between the 1.6 NA and the 1.6 TD. The problem is there were not a lot of TD's sold in the US compared to the NA engines. So that accounts for why they are so rare now. When VW did upgrade the cylinder heads was with the Super Charged 4 cylinder Corrado. I believe it had a thicker deck and it may have been cast from a better material. I could also be completely wrong.

Hi Mark... hehe... I'm already preparing for the worst Very Happy
...anyway, I am not in the US or Canada so JX's are very plentiful over here in Central Europe. I am just wondering how good or bad are these aftermarket AMC brand new heads.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

Ed, there aren't many companies making new cylinder head castings for vws. My preference would be to start with a good genuine core, but if one was not available, I'd use an aftermarket casting.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Ed, there aren't many companies making new cylinder head castings for vws. My preference would be to start with a good genuine core, but if one was not available, I'd use an aftermarket casting.

What's your opinion of this? http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/zylinderkopf-46e5c8.html

Seems like original OEM housing (casting?) ...then I could use the existing "innards" from my current head, plus I have another old (cracked) head with lots of good parts... so I could build a really solid head quite easily and cheaply this way, no?

To be honest, even if my current head is not cracks, this would seem like good idea.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

It does appear to be a genuine new casting. My german is limited though. You'd want to use new valves and you'd want to compare the springs free height.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a source: 1.6 turbo diesel head Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
It does appear to be a genuine new casting. My german is limited though. You'd want to use new valves and you'd want to compare the springs free height.

I think if I currently have a head issue or not, re-doing the head feels like a good idea to me anyway. It's not extremely expensive and obviously better to do at home rather than in the middle of Romania Very Happy

This case looks even cheaper (since the Pound nose-dived) and also OEM https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/cylinder-head-bare-t3-1-6td-jx-genuine-vw.html

New valves... OK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: