Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Head bolt leaking coolant, covered by warranty?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Head bolt leaking coolant, covered by warranty? Reply with quote

Must have been using "what he had around the shop" or only what he could get new. I've had trouble getting the non collapsibles before. Now as a true Vanagon wrench, I've accumulated enough bits over the years that I have a couple spare stock tubes to use in rebuilds.

It's fine to use them if they're new and quality units. I had one leak on my Syncro after a year or so and prefer the originals.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Head bolt leaking coolant, covered by warranty? Reply with quote

Eh, using an expanding pushrod tube is a minor forgivable infraction......
though it is technically an incorrect procedure and personally I'd rather delay the job a week while the proper parts are gathered.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Head bolt leaking coolant, covered by warranty? Reply with quote

Some rebuilders like to use collapsible tubes. I would suspect that the bright colors they come in are one of the reasons.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Head bolt leaking coolant, covered by warranty? Reply with quote

Rather than assume the shop used just a couple of those for no good reason I'd guess there was some kind of lifter or pushrod issue after they had it running.

Mark

djkeev wrote:
Eh, using an expanding pushrod tube is a minor forgivable infraction......
though it is technically an incorrect procedure and personally I'd rather delay the job a week while the proper parts are gathered.

Dave
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Head bolt leaking coolant, covered by warranty? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
If you say anything , act humble.

"Where do you think the leak is coming from ? "

This will get you a bunch farther than telling him what you think.
Keep that in reserve.

Hold your cards up so nobody see's what's in your hand.

Will do, thanks Terry Smile

bluebus86 wrote:
I dont follow the logic of replacing the head gasket, and installing collapsable pushrod tubes at the same time. last I heard the head must come off for head gasket replacement. Collapsable tubes are made for install on an assembled engine/head. If the head is off, one piece tubes are supposed to be installed. I just dont get it?????????

I didn't understand this at first and wondered myself why he didn't install regular push rods if he had the head out. I even wondered if he did in fact replace the head gasket and seals as stated in the bill. But as Mark said it is possible they found an issue later, after running it a second time.
crazyvwvanman wrote:
Rather than assume the shop used just a couple of those for no good reason I'd guess there was some kind of lifter or push rod issue after they had it running.

I do remember the collapsible push rods went in the last days before I picked up the van, so this is a possibility but it sounds a bit weird that he didn't find these issues while the "head was out" to replace the gaskets.

Either way, the repair was from a few months ago and at the time, I didn't know much about all this and was anxious to get the van back in my possession after not having it running for a long time. I should have asked him these questions then. I don't think it would go over well if I start bringing these things up now, a few months after the repairs.

I will be taking it in tomorrow and seeing what he has to say about the leaking head nut. Thanks all for the help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: