Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor pan issue
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

I have a 73 thing. The floor pans are just sheet metal and completely welded all around. I've got rust in the rocker corners and all that standard stuff. I drive the car daily and it's tons of fun but I think it's restoration time.

Can I get some advice on the floor pans regarding them being welded in? Anybody else have a situation or had one like this? Any downsides to leaving it as is vs cutting, removing the body and doing it all as original?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

Replace the floors. I had the same issue. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656914&highlight=
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

Edrgndean, thanks for the reply and I read through your post. I see why you put in those beautiful looking floor pans.

So let me add a little more detail. I may have mislead previously. The floors are not rusty and are in perfectly good condition; undercoated and top coated with the floor mats and the stock seats and all that stuff. So they aren't crappy or anything close to that. They're just not stock and welded two the rockers.

Still a problem in the near future?
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

If your floors are in good shape and you just want to repair the body, I don't see any problem with that. If you can achieve a solid, rust free car and don't mind it not being original why not. You would certainly save a bucket of money. Most uni-body cars don't come apart at the floor anyway. It's up to you, how far do you want to go?
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

hylomatt wrote:
Edrgndean, thanks for the reply and I read through your post. I see why you put in those beautiful looking floor pans.

So let me add a little more detail. I may have mislead previously. The floors are not rusty and are in perfectly good condition; undercoated and top coated with the floor mats and the stock seats and all that stuff. So they aren't crappy or anything close to that. They're just not stock and welded two the rockers.

Still a problem in the near future?

No, should not be a problem. But if you are going for a restoration, in the end you will want to address. Daily driver status with a Maco paint job? Just leave it as is.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

check out our website http://kubeltreffen181.com for a look at putting in the floor
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

Years ago when a running bug cost less than $100, if we had a pan "breach" you cut a tight cardboard pattern of the violated panel: df, pf, dr, pr, Then transfer the pattern to sheet metal window cut-outs from steel doors. After testing the fit of the panel, we then adhered the new panel to the floor with a generous coat of under coating. Once cured this repair outlasts the car. Depending where you live, when the car is structurally sound, you can cut out the rust and do a clean fiberglass repair of the area. When resale value is of no concern, these are daily driver repairs that cost little in $$ or time, require few experiences or tools but can last for many years.... I have pounded a section of well trimmed plywood floor section into the pan section of more VWs that I like to think about. Plywood repaired floors always outlasted the car and kept your socks dry in the wet seasons...
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and info guys. I decided to leave the floors as they are, have all the rust fixed and then repainted. It'll be way better than a maaco job too.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

Cool, we'll look forward to pictures when it's finished Very Happy
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
Years ago when a running bug cost less than $100, if we had a pan "breach" you cut a tight cardboard pattern of the violated panel: df, pf, dr, pr, Then transfer the pattern to sheet metal window cut-outs from steel doors. After testing the fit of the panel, we then adhered the new panel to the floor with a generous coat of under coating. Once cured this repair outlasts the car. Depending where you live, when the car is structurally sound, you can cut out the rust and do a clean fiberglass repair of the area. When resale value is of no concern, these are daily driver repairs that cost little in $$ or time, require few experiences or tools but can last for many years.... I have pounded a section of well trimmed plywood floor section into the pan section of more VWs that I like to think about. Plywood repaired floors always outlasted the car and kept your socks dry in the wet seasons...

When I was a poor college student I did similar repairs on my daily driver beetle convertible. These patches lasted 20+ years until I tore the car apart for restoration, and I found no additional deterioration around those patches. I used roofing cement and a couple of pop rivets to hold them in.

Good luck with the car. I always wanted a Thing. I think a solid, obviously used but well taken care of vehicle is much more fun than a perfectly restored trailer queen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

Q Dog speaks VW truth.... I have a VW friend whose 63 Type 3 daily driver floors are done the same way roofing cement and pop rivets but he uses metal real estate signs trimmed to fit the floor sections...once these are covered with floor mats structurally there is no real difference.
hylomatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Floor pan issue Reply with quote

it'll be ~2-4 weeks until i get it back but pictures will indeed follow! thanks for all the feedback. i hear assurance that, given my motivations, this is not the end of the world or anything close Smile

i know what you mean about trailer queens. i had a total resto done on my 1966 karmann ghia and it's a beauty and i love it but i'm nervous around it now. kinda robbed a little bit from the experience. but man is it cherry looking!

the thing will be a daily driver and even a little offroad for some camping and maybe some mountain driving when i can find time away from work. not many mountains in florida.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: