Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Westerner Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback and compliments, really appreciate it!

Removed the engine from the stand today to finish attaching more of the bits, pretty much finished with it now. To answer the question about the cooling flaps/baffles, not going to run them as being in San Diego California don't think I'll need them. If I'm wrong let me know.

I've decided to dissemble the tranny and change the gearing to make it a freeway flyer, so engine won't go in now for a couple weeks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I'm not the expert on the cooling flaps, but my understanding is that even if you didn't run with a thermostat, the cooling flaps are in fact necessary because they force air to go through the oil cooler.

Of course, I'm of the mindset that it is always good to get the engine to temp as quickly as possible, and maintain the proper temp the whole time you're driving. You simply cannot do that without the flaps and thermostat setup.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Just another quick note, the rest of the engine sheet metal around the rear will be installed after the engine install, I can do that since the rear of my bus has been modified to facilitate that option.

Well more pictures and updates in a few weeks. Thanks all!
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hi Dave, well this is good info and good to know. I will certainly check with the engine guys at Paradise Motorsports. I can pull the intake manifolds and engine tin to install them without to much trouble.

Thanks, really appreciate the feedback. Laughing
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Keep the flaps. Keep it stock. There are reasons, like getting air forced through the oil cooler and getting the engine up to temp as fast as possible to minimize wear on the engine, regardless of climate.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I did a little research and you guys are right about those flappers! I sure am glad you guys were looking at my pictures closely and asking the question. Thanks so much for pointing this out, would have been a real bummer to get the bus running and driving having without those flappers.

So the previous owner didn't have those flappers or thermostat on the engine when I broke it down, so am sourcing those parts now from Interstate VW in Lake Elsinore and will get them cleaned up and installed. Was also reading how to check the Thermostat for proper operation as well, so will make sure i get one that works before installing it.

Thanks again guys!
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Well I picked up my missing air baffles today, now that I have actually seen them it's all clear to me now ! A little media blasting to clean them up and a powder coating and in they go.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I like to test the thermostat and flaps all as a system after installation by hitting the thermostat with a heat gun. You can watch it operate before your eyes, and if you have a nifty little IR pistol-like thermometer, you can even verify the temperature at which the thermostat expands.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I have a question for all you Wild Westerner types...

The interior on these models used black upholstery. The inside door handles (with the handle and lock as part of the same mechanism) that I have are chromed, but I am missing the surrounds and the inserts.

I have seen chromed surrounds, like these:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1985945

and I see black surrounds, like these, which include the inserts:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1932189

Were there also chromed inserts to go with the chromed surrounds, or were the inserts black (which would seem odd)?

I'll bet that some of you have the original parts. What did they look like?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Member to WW family Reply with quote

gooch21 wrote:
Hello All,

Found this forum while searching Wild Westerner so I thought I would share my recent purchase. I bought a Wild Westerner in Denver, Colorado about a month ago from Joe's Cool Cars. Vin#2232205005

The thing I find unique is this one has a factory bench front seat. Anybody seen or have one with a front bench seat?

Yup, mine is a 9-seat bus, so it has this, as well as the full-width middle seat.

Is that door handle surround black? There might be my answer!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

I cannot go out and look right now, but I'd have to say I'm certain mine are black.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

That appears to be the same insert that later beetles use. If so, the insert should be black. I cannot say I have ever seen that insert as chrome, only black plastic.

EDIT: I looked up some old photos of a WW I found long ago. Though the front seats have obviously been changed, it does look as though the door latch mechanism is black/black, and I would be surprised if that had been changed out. The rest of this bus was very original.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Just confirmed mine are black too.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks, guys! I found a few more photos that happen to show the inside door handle, and none of them look to be chromed -- all are black surrounds with a chromed handle.
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Checked both of my W/W's and they were black with black inserts. Getting my 091 gear box back from rebuild this Friday, will mate it up to the engine and stuff it all in this weekend. Turns out the tranny was in pretty good condition, but didnt know its status so had to break it down and take a look.

Been working on building up the doors with all new seals etc. What a pain, gotta treat that outer weather strip and chrome beading like jewelry its so fragile!
Ed Hoffmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

John,
Nice work. Looks fantastic. Im still searching for a WW. Found a 79 im restoring right now as well.Just had the bus media blasted and all the engine tin powdercoated . Also had the entire exhaust ceramic coated. Just ordered all the rubber from Busdepot and went with the mm
Ed Hoffmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

John,
My wife called me up for something and my phone posted my comment.
Anyways i went with the chrome window bead trim for all the windows and that should be fun to install. You are right about how fragile that trim is, when i took this bus apart I was tryiing to be careful to see how things went together. The hardest part was removing the vent wing section and that outer chrome trim piece.
Having it all painted will be very difficult to put back together without an epic fail.
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hey gang, well I reached a big milestone yesterday, the engine and trans are in the Bus, finally! Going to put fuel in it and spin it over to prime the oil system and get some pressure, then light it off.

It's all down hill and easy from here Laughing

VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

Hey Ed, Let me know if you want some assistance with reassembling the doors, rubber, and windows, there is a sequence that needs to be followed, if not it promotes foul language to pour out ones mouth, which if children or the wife is near ends up badly.

If you like stop by and take a look at my WW and I can do a show and tell tutorial Rolling Eyes
Ed Hoffmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Westerner Club Reply with quote

John,
That would be great. I just finished some big projects at work so will be back on the bus again. The rear corner was a hack job from a body shop so i cut it out to do it right. Got all original sheet metal from Jeremy in Hemet. Hes got alot of buses hes cutting up.The upper section over the engine lid also was pushed in a bit and im replacing that as well.

Then its all about body and paint. Should be about 2-3 weeks of priming,blocking,priming,blocking,blocking blocking and when i think im done more blocking.My wife wants to go 55 ford thunderbird green with white top section and of course white roof rack with wood slats, and whitewalls. Its a win,win because she will get her bus but wont drive it because its slow and has no ac. So me being the loving husband will have to take her car out at least once a week to keep the battery charged and the seals oiled.

So my plan is to make her happy with her bus so i can buy the ugly greenbus aka the WW.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 109, 110, 111 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 110 of 169

Jump to: