Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1500 'S' daily upgrades
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

Hi, I posted this on performance engine forum, and they said me to post it here for better answers.

I have a '63 notchback and I want to squeeze its engine a bit. What can I do? I think about W110 cam, 4 to 1 header, lightened flywheel...

Can I increase bore and/or stroke this engine? I want a reliable engine with good mpg.

I'm waiting for your answers

Cheers

Alberto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

Hello.
To properly answer your question(s) we need a little more data on the car/engine.
1. Is it an early or late 1963 model? - Meaning is it a 1500N with 1 32 mm centermount carburettor, or a late 1963 model 1500S with twin 32 mm PDSIT carbs ?

That said, if you want to bump the performance of the engine you should look for a newer case, because the old cases need a good deal of prepping if they should handle any significant power upgrades. (If the car/engine has matching numbers, and you want to keep it, it can be done if the case is not too beat up and has not been overheated too many times. But it is a little costly.)

answer this first. Then we can give you some decent advice.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

from personal experience the W110 cam was a bad choice on my 65 squareback, dual carb, single port 1600cc. It didn't have the torque in the lower RPM you want with a daily driver, the squareback is heavy too at 2200lbs. I drove it for a couple years and then built a 1904cc that I am much happier with.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

My notch is a late 63 1500S, twin 32mm carbs.

Can I use a 1600 engine from a '70 notch and build a 1904? What do I need to build that engine?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

Yes you can. But the first you should decide is what carbs do you want to use, next what type of heads. Single port or the newer dual port? After that it makes sense to talk cam, displacement and exhaust
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

just for reference , this was my build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488934&highlight=engine+build

it started out as using the stock carbs, and heat exchangers, and changed to 36 Dells and a web 163, so yes, you need a plan, and Alstrup can help you with a proven combo that will work for you.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

Soo Alberto.
Did you make some thoughts about what you want to build?

T
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1500 'S' daily upgrades Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Soo Alberto.
Did you make some thoughts about what you want to build?

T

Yes, I'm going to run it stock.

Thanks at all
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: