Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

[quote="chrisarnt"]
raygreenwood wrote:
williamM wrote:
Thanks alot- They were not expensive and they had several grinds- hydo/solids/auto/manual.

To Chrisarnt.....no do not mess with the rockers. They are already 1.3:1 from the factory.
You SHOULD source a set of rockers from a 1.7L and buy a set of Porsche swivel feet adjusters....and a solid spacer kit. Two of the best galve train mods you can make with a type 4.

Do your lift adjusting with camshaft selection on a type 4.....not by screwing with lifter ratio. You will have enough geometry challenges without that.....and....not that I am even sure where you can buy higher lift ratio lifters for a type 4.

Last ones I think i saw were years ago maybe by Autocraft. Ray

OK. I'm confused: "Do not mess with rockers. " or buy a set of rocker from a porsche 1.7" ?

and swivel feet adjusters and a spacer kit.

How about the cam?

I read the discussion on the cam with the other guy, but he's putting this in a bus. I'm putting mine in a beetle. So... What say you about the cam. ?

Your original question was......"with a cam upgrade.....comes a rocker upgrade?"......the answer to that is NO.

1. Short of astronomically priced custom rockers from someone like Pauter or Autocraft....there are no "upgrade" rockers for type 4.....and they are nit necessary. The factory stock rockers are 1.3:1 ratio.

2. Even if you you changed nothing on the engine.....even if its bone stock.....you SHOULD put a solid rocker spacer kit on the rocker shaft as it makes for less wear and more accurate geometry. Also.....the swivel feet are another "must have" for lower wear, not needing lash caps and more accurate geometry.

Before anyone can really tell you what cam would work well.....get a really good idea of what carbs, what tire size, how you are going to drive this car.....and what you need this engine to do.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

Ray- what is your "most go to" cam when building a T4 for a bus? (loaded camper--14"tires 205's// 002 trans from a 73 -)

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Ray- what is your "most go to" cam when building a T4 for a bus? (loaded camper--14"tires 205's// 002 trans from a 73 -)

Laughing ....I dont build type 4's for a bus.....at least not for about the past 15 years.....but if I was going to suggest a cam......if it was twin carbed and largely "stockish"....a web 86 is what I would use.

If one "must" use hydraulic lifters....again with carbs....the nearly equivalent is the Web 91.

If its fuel injected and mechanical lifters....primarily stock.....I would use a web 73....fairly mild but an upgrade.

An upgrade from that would be the 9590 from the type 4 store (this is an upgraded 9550 to make it run better with alcohol fuels.....and the 9550 is actually a sppit pattern version of the web 73).
Ray
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply- No longer a fan of Hydrolic lifters, I do however have a set of dual carbs and an FI So can build one of each, and If kent from Palm springs doesn't want the block I got him, or the core from the 73 is good I'll run one on the Eagal racing cam.

I see a clear answer in say 2 years Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

But thanks again- Bill

Don't step in any!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

[quote="raygreenwood"]
chrisarnt wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
williamM wrote:
even sure where you can buy higher lift ratioes I think i saw were years ago maybe by Autocraft. Ray

OK. I'm confused: "Do not mess with rockers. " or buy a set of rocker from a porsche 1.7" ?

and swivel feet adjusters and a spacer kit.

How about the cam?

I read the discussion on the cam with the other guy, but he's putting this in a bus. I'm putting mine in a beetle. So... What say you about the cam. ?

Your original question was......"with a cam upgrade.....comes a rocker upgrade priced custom rockers from someone like Pauter or Autocraft....there are no "upgrade" rockers for type 4.....and they are nit . The stock rockers are 1.3:1 ratio.

2. Even if you you changed nothing on the engine.....even if its bone stock.....you SHOULD put a solid rocker spacer kit on the rocker shaft as it makes for less wear and more accurate geometry. Also.....the swivel feet are another "must have" for lower wear, not needing lash caps and more accurate geometry.

Before anyone can really tell you what cam would work well.....get a really good idea of what carbs, what tire size, how you are going to drive this car.....and what you need this engine to do.

Ray

Thanks.
What do the swivel feet do?

As far as application. I'll start off with best dual car setup I can muster for under... in order of likely hood. Dual 34 epc, the. Dual 34 ict then dual 44 idf. .. if I get a big check in the mail. I'm putting this in a street Baja super with big rear tires, that I need to change from m+s to all season or even sport if I want to realize my goals. .
I intend to drive like Grape Ape.
And in all honesty. I really just want to peal out once in a while. But I've been told that this car will not.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

They go on the ends of the rocker arms in place of where the stock solid valve adjusting screws go.

They are a hardened flexible joint that is larger in diameter. They spread the load so you do not have wear issues to the ends of the valve stems or to the adjuster screws like you get on stock valve adjuster screws.

These also allow the force from the rocker arm valve adjusting screw to be more axially in line with the valve stem so if you set your geometry correctly...side loading and wear to the valve guides is greatly reduced.

I have not built a type 4 engine without them since my very first build.

http://www.aircooled.net/mcm_glossary/swivel-feet-adjusters-elephant-feet-adjusters/

An info thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7496597

...and yes....in the picture at the top of the page...the OP DID do it wrong in the fact that he did not clearance the rockers for the swivel feet.

Another thread with some pictures.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380651

Make note of those members in these threads that HIGHLY recommend these parts...Jake Raby (type 4 guru extraordinaire) Colin...VW mechanic and Guru extraordinaire.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6555900

Here is a thread with some pictures of some other brands out there. I have used the Bugpack back in the day...and the "cup" or foot is not hard enough although the ball stud is. Mine also crapped out.

Also....quality is everything. You do NOT want the "half ball" style adjusters....and the Ford/Mazda genuine parts swivel feet are high enough quality but have more fitment issues on type 4.

There are several brands. Nothing out there beats the original Porsche adjusters in quality. Just bite the bullet and get them.

They are worth every penny for longevity and valve geometry...especially since it has gotten nearly impossible to find quality stock valve adjuster screws that are not either too soft or too hard.

YOU DO NOT WANT THESE
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SCAT-Swivel-Ball-Style-Valve-Adjusters-20118-p/20118.htm

They work OK on type 1 but have serious issues on type 4.

THESE I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT SO I WOULD ASK AROUND

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Elephant-s-Feet-Valve-Adjusters-8-p/adj-elephants-ft-8.htm

John sells great stuff and is honest. But...the cuff on the ball foot looks a little long for type 4. I may be wrong. If they are well hardened, machined and accurate...thats a great price.

These ...are the real thing...and yes the price is outrageous. I bought my current set when the price was about $230.

http://type4store.com/products/valvetrain/oem-911-adjusters.html

Just looking at fit, finish and materials compared to most of the types out there...the quality difference is obvious. They typically last about 200K miles.

If these are the genuine item....this is a good price http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/17012-01084...7433965052

And here...
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16779&cat=&page=1

Ray
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

X2 on the 1/2 ball type- The failures I've seen with them is they don't recover from a momentary failure (ie hiccup) in the valve train should you get a valve float or a momentary stuck valve- the flat on the ball can rotate and now your running on the round part of the ball. This will quickly mushroom your valve stem (pic to follow) The elephants feet will not have this problem.

Don't step in any!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks. To both of you. Seriously

this is all new to me.

I am sourcing these.

But I pick up the motor (currently in pieces) in a few days and the seller says it has two sets of heads. Maybe one already has the elephant feet swivels.

Is this thing going to destroy my transmission?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
Thanks. To both of you. Seriously

this is all new to me.

I am sourcing these.

But I pick up the motor (currently in pieces) in a few days and the seller says it has two sets of heads. Maybe one already has the elephant feet swivels.

Is this thing going to destroy my transmission?

That would be nice. But if ine set does have swivel feet......post a picture so you can identify brand and quality.

If I had the choice between stock adjusting screws and poor quality swivel feet.....I would use the stock screws...because they will not destroy anything if they go wrong.

What WilliamM decribed is exactly correct.....if the half ball type swivel foot runs into problems the result can range from a damaged valve stem tip to a bent pushrod.

Also....you can buy several variants of the OEM Porsche swivel feet at Automobile Atlanta.....ranging from current Porsche stock at about $33 each to OEM replacment for about $24 each....to Mahle brand 911 swivels for about $21 each. Ray
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

OK. So, unless I something bad about the swivels from statesidetuning I'm going with 10mm at about $90 delivered.
And will use whatever rocker arms are in there.
http://www.statesidetuning.co.uk/newproducts.html

Back to the motor.
So, my buddy picked up the motor in milk crates the other day.
Frankly, my buddy is doing most of the work and I'm doing the research.

The pistons need new rings, but are 94mm and comparing to some pics online they appear to be Mahle. They have markings 98,98 Std on them.
Right now the question is about the rings. Pistons and Flywheel.

The heads are 4 bolt (bus, not porsche)
There is no flywheel or starter.

I'm going to post some photos and I'd appreciate any info you all could provide.

chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

I did just see an advert for a NOS 94mm set of mahle jugs for $200 that would be ready to go. unless the ones in the pic are some special dished ones that will make you coffee or something.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

that was lucky-- New race engine right around the corner for you-- Have pics of the heads and particularly the combustion chambers- that seems to be the trouble spot for these.

The choice of pistons is endless- almost-

I just opened up a box of mystery parts and found these slipper skirt beauties- Not sure how they might fit into a bus- now that the cam question has been answered- here (thanks RAY)-- One piece at a time till you reach a consensus. [img]

and did you see the cam gear I found with the "OK we're going to die now " cam to oil pump marks-[/img]

Don't step in any!
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

I need to get the correct flywheel.

Also, I'm looking at putting a set of dual h40s with empi manifolds on here.
Is there any reason not to?
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

I'm getting ahead of myself but…

what are your thoughts on painting the tin to match the car?
I have a perfect match.
This is a pancake, so would it just make it more obvious that its not a doghouse look?

If I get this right, I will have cause to make this car pretty nice overall instead of "good'nuff"

I was kind of leaning toward the trumpet look exhausts.
Stingers look great, but they stick out at child eyeball gauging height.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
I'm getting ahead of myself but…

what are your thoughts on painting the tin to match the car?
I have a perfect match.
This is a pancake, so would it just make it more obvious that its not a doghouse look?

If I get this right, I will have cause to make this car pretty nice overall instead of "good'nuff"

I was kind of leaning toward the trumpet look exhausts.
Stingers look great, but they stick out at child eyeball gauging height.

The tin paint....whatever looks good for you.

The exhaust....dual cannon style like that are positively the worst exhaust money can buy. You will lose lots of power on these engines. Put a proper header on it. The muffler.....pr just a stinger even....is your choice. Ray
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bus 2.0 Liter rebuild and Conversion to Beetle Reply with quote

so anyone know where to buy just the alternator stand on its own.????
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: