Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 Beetle AC
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

I want to equip my 69 Beetle (VolksRod) with AC, but do not like the kits that hang under the dash.
Has anybody installed AC using parts from other cars that hid the system?
I searched the forums, but found nada.
I am not fond of reinventing the wheel if somebody else is already rolling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Coffee Freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

neisman wrote:
I want to equip my 69 Beetle (VolksRod) with AC, but do not like the kits that hang under the dash.
Has anybody installed AC using parts from other cars that hid the system?
I searched the forums, but found nada.
I am not fond of reinventing the wheel if somebody else is already rolling.

A lot of Rat Rodders will use the rear unit out of a conversion van. They are pretty self-contained. Should be able to fit it up front under the "hood". No personal experience, though. I had planned on just rolling my windows down.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Thanks CF. I will start scouring the yards.
Been rolling windows down. It's getting old. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Also Classic Auto Air and Vintage Air have nice remote (trunk) units.
Old units.. are sometimes a gamble.. good/bad.

I've thought about A/C in Beetles a while.. always disliked the units that confine the front legs even more.. also.. dont want to loose any front trunk space...
If I ever give it a shot.. I think I'd try rear package shelf mounted A/C's .
Just about 99% of universal under dash units from the 60's will fit in the back, also many remote "trunk" units available.
The rear Van units may can also be made to work in the back..

The idea came when I found reference to a self contained Australian unit that replaced the entire package shelf floor..

Evaporator and condenser in one box.... could work with some isolation, insulation and tweaking.. No different idea than a window unit on a home..
If plumbed and vent correctly seems like a great idea..
I can't wait for electric refrigerant compressors to get more reasonably priced.. Wink
May try something some day.. right now.. just sweat it out.

Joel wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Thank you friend. I am a mad researcher before I make a decision. I will add this to the mix. I am also investigating the feasibility of piecing AC together from parts from several cars. I know there are some small compressors out there.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Mercedes S-class rear climate control unit.. late '90's on up. Entire a/c and heater box is only about 18" x 7" x 5". A couple of my club members are installing those in their kits.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Does that small unit contain the evaporator and fan?
That sounds perfect.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Yep, all self contained:

Not my photos, but a club member who stumbled onto these in a junkyard.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Oh, Baby, Baby. I will have one of those. My research is done.
Thank you Letterman7!!
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

If you are pulling it yourself, make sure you get the climate control console with it as well - dual control with fan speed. My club members are dissecting the wiring diagrams but it doesn't look too difficult to get up and running.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

I will pull it myself and will take everything that looks useful.

Thanks
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Now to find a junked S Class Wink

That look a hell of a sight easier than the mess the PO of my fire aero was trying to accomplish with a vintage air kit. the whole thing should fit right under the rear cowl.

What are they using for the compressor? Did the Mercedes unit use the same compressor as the main unit or a secondary compressor.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

That's a good question John. I'm assuming there is just one compressor, but I'll ask the guys who are pulling the parts to see if they noticed.

Do you still have your F/A?
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Ok, according to my source, the unit is powered by the main a/c pump.
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
That's a good question John. I'm assuming there is just one compressor, but I'll ask the guys who are pulling the parts to see if they noticed.

Do you still have your F/A?

Yeppers, still sitting out back under the carport. Sadly I haven't touched it in a year. Boating weather was too good last summer.

Actually thinking about thinning the heard and keeping only the FA, the Machette and my 71 Bug. Sold two boats last fall and the kids show no interest in the Wave runner anymore so I think it's going on the net as soon as good weather bumps the demand and prices for water toys Smile
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
If I ever give it a shot.. I think I'd try rear package shelf mounted A/C's .
The idea came when I found reference to a self contained Australian unit that replaced the entire package shelf floor..

Evaporator and condenser in one box.... could work with some isolation, insulation and tweaking.. No different idea than a window unit on a home..
Joel wrote:

Believe it or not, I actually have one of those package shelf units like the one shown in the magazine article pictures above, NOS. Compressor is still sealed and according to the directions it is pre-charged with R12. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Any progress on this AC installation.

Letterman7 wrote:
Mercedes S-class rear climate control unit.. late '90's on up. Entire a/c and heater box is only about 18" x 7" x 5". A couple of my club members are installing those in their kits.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware. My club members tend to have their cars in the state of restoration when they find these things. Might be quite a while before they are actually on the road.

http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/members_n_forums/bl...l-fit.html

and the guys build thread.. very long, but comprehensive http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/members_n_forums/bu...-s009.html
works2hard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

Okay, here's a real stupid, redneck hillbilly question: Has anyone ever considered mounting a small 110v window-style room air conditioner in the back seat area and running it with a 12v to 110v power inverter?
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle AC Reply with quote

you will need a giant inverter....and what is your plan for the hot air being expelled from the ac unit? or the water from condensing?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: