Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct color for top latches/hooks/sunvisor ends
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Correct color for top latches/hooks/sunvisor ends Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what the correct color to spray the top latches, hooks, and sunvisor ends is?

I sprayed a satin black, but it is too black. These almost look like a gray/black color.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct color for top latches/hooks/sunvisor ends Reply with quote

Satin black should be good. I have seen new top latches and they were satin, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Al Capulco on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct color for top latches/hooks/sunvisor ends Reply with quote

Well I didn't trust my memory, I looked in my NOS stuff and found two sets of top latches and they are grey. They are even different shades, but still gray. They have the part number on the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct color for top latches/hooks/sunvisor ends Reply with quote

Yes, I went to the store and tried comparing the part with spray outs of satin black and it was too black. Flat black may work, but it still appears to be gray with a black tint.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct color for top latches/hooks/sunvisor ends Reply with quote

You might try WW's can of dark gray made for beetle handbrakes and levers:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=paintL43

It comes out very close. I've only used it once- on the stock shifter for my '71 beetle. I have not use it in the Thing yet to report.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: