Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14x5.0J wheels to 15x5.5J wheels. Compatible tire suggestions?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: 14x5.0J wheels to 15x5.5J wheels. Compatible tire suggestions? Reply with quote

I currently have P185/75 R-14 tires mounted on standard 5 bolt Type 181 steel wheels. I'm switching the 14x5.0J wheels out for 15x5.5J (steel) wheels. My question is: what tires are suitable for the new wheels that won't require any major adjustments or alterations (I'm thinking about 205/65 R-15 tires, but don't want any rubbing or turn-radius rubbing, etc.). Any insights and/or shared wisdom would be much appreciated.

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 14x5.0J wheels to 15x5.5J wheels. Compatible tire suggestions? Reply with quote

205/75/15 on 15x5.5 rims works good on mine, no rubbing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 14x5.0J wheels to 15x5.5J wheels. Compatible tire suggestions? Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
205/75/15 on 15x5.5 rims works good on mine, no rubbing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for that. I wonder if 75 vice 65 makes any difference? I'm almost tempted to go with 195/65 R15 to make doubly sure of the rubbing possibilities being eliminated, since 205 wide is marginally wider and 65 series is marginally lower profile.

As it is, I've sort of short-listed either 205/65 R15 or 195/65 R15 specs, but a niggling little voice in my head says 'stay with 75 series'. Hmmm. Think

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 14x5.0J wheels to 15x5.5J wheels. Compatible tire suggestions? Reply with quote

Nice looking Thing, by the way!

KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 14x5.0J wheels to 15x5.5J wheels. Compatible tire suggestions? Reply with quote

The 65s would be a little on the safer side and would probably still look substantial. Websites like tire rack list the overall tire hight, helps with visualizing and comparing.
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 14x5.0J wheels to 15x5.5J wheels. Compatible tire suggestions? Reply with quote

An update on this for anyone wondering about changing out the stock steel wheels ( 5-bolt 14 x 5.0J, taking 185/75R14 tires) for the wider (VW-type) steel wheel (5-bolt 15 x 5.5J) and changing tires, I elected to opt for the 15 x 5.5J wheel (standard VW steel type, typically made in China and available through several VW specialty outfits) shod with 195/65R15 tires. I am happy to report that there is no issue with rubbing or radius of turn on my stock Thing with the new set-up. Further, they are very closely matched in terms of rolling circumference and revs/min to the original set-up (as above).

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the tire-matching calculators found at sites such as 1010tires (http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator) are extremely helpful in making a wise decision about compatibility of non-standard Thing tires.

One consideration that most sellers don't cover is the important matter of offset, since offset can have a rather substantial effect on several parameters of proper wheel/tire functionality. The stock VW 5-bolt 14 x 5.0 Thing steel wheel has an offset of 32.5 mm. This is found on VW-made steel wheels between two of the bolt holes (i.e. ET32.5, the 'ET' signifying the German word 'Einpresstiefe', which means 'insert depth').

On the set of 4 'Made-in-China' steel VW-type 5 bolt 15 x 5.5J wheels there is no offset listed in that manner, so one needs to make a determination manually. For reference to how to do that, either check Captain Spalding's excellent Thing-specific diagram (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/599756.jpg) or here: http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator . I was able to determine that the offset of those Chinese 5-bolt 15 x 5.5J steel clones was just about that...32.5...or close enough to be considered congruent, for all practical purposes. Hence, everything checked out well in advance of any actual tire purchases, since you can't return tires once they are mounted (a rule in most shops, at least).

Others on the Thing forum (among them, KAmes) have stated that 205/75R15 tires work also well on the 5.5J steel wheels they've mounted on their Things, so there are several possibilities to consider that will work.

Careful use of the 1010tires calculator will assure perfect suitability, since all parameters of tire/wheel matches are considered and clearly given (i.e. height, wide, rolling circumference, speed/rpm, etc., etc.).

With the 5-bolt 15 x 5.5J wheels shod with 195/65R15 tires there's plenty of room & clearance in the wheel wells and they also look nice, as well. Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: