Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubel Treffen East 2017?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:

I'm still mulling how I'm going to get there, 2 day drive or towbar again. Rolling Eyes

Tom-
As I mentioned in a previous post...
"Trust your Thing! It's not a road trip, it's an adventure!"

I might make it a 2 day drive from Detroit, just to take a scenic route (it depends on the weather). A long Thing drive on secondary roads through small towns and farmland is fun and relaxing (except when passing certain farmer's fields); much more fun than than towing a trailer.

Hope to see you there, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
Eric Goodman wrote:
Send me the information when its ready and I will post it on our Facebook and webpage. Thanks. we will send you the info after Gary makes up a flyer and a shirt design

www.vwthingregistry.com

Thank you! Want to make all our Kubel Treffen events successful.
www.Facebook.com/vwthingregistry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
doublecanister wrote:

I'm still mulling how I'm going to get there, 2 day drive or towbar again. Rolling Eyes

Tom-

I might make it a 2 day drive from Detroit, just to take a scenic route (it depends on the weather). A long Thing drive on secondary roads through small towns and farmland is fun and relaxing (except when passing certain farmer's fields); much more fun than than towing a trailer.

HEY Gary!

I agree, but I've never driven my THING further than Dover De!

Just asking too, my most direct route would be 64West (some 81 South) about the entire way.
Anyone ever driven that in a THING that far on 64 West without any issues due to terrain? There are some steep grades past Beckly, WVa

I'm afraid If we take back roads thru West Va, I may never see you all again! Laughing

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

I think my toughest "hill climb" was between Springfield, MO and Branson (KTE 2014?).
Me and the big trucks shared the right hand lane for sure. Things can handle steep grades; in the worst case, it's 3rd gear and flashers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

We drove from Urbana, Ohio to Gilmore Museum and South Haven, MI then a few weeks later drove to Mammoth Caves KY. Did not take any Highways. Loved the trips and looking forward to this one. Richmond VA to Corydon, IN is a bit further than what we have tried but would be a fun trip. Like Gary said it is an adventure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
mondshine wrote:
doublecanister wrote:

Tom-

HEY Gary!

I agree, but I've never driven my THING further than Dover De!

Just asking too, my most direct route would be 64West (some 81 South) about the entire way.
Anyone ever driven that in a THING that far on 64 West without any issues due to terrain? There are some steep grades past Beckly, WVa

I'm afraid If we take back roads thru West Va, I may never see you all again! Laughing

T

I have driven that stretch of 64 and 81 in a 73 standard. Drop it down to third and enjoy the spectacular scenery. I have a save my bug thermostat to warn me when the engine is getting hot, it usually came on just as I could see over the top of the hill.
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

What is it about a hill scares you flatlanders?

I live in West Virginia and believe me when I tell you that over the past seventeen years I have driven one of my Things on every paved road in the state, plus one pile of unpaved roads. That includes Interstate Highways, US Highways, and State Highways. I can maintain over 50 MPH on every Interstate Highway in West Virginia, and that is while the air conditioning is operating. Yes, our 74 Acapulco, all stock, has AC and I use it all the time. Sure does keep the windows from fogging up in rain. On other roads when the speed drops down to 45 MPH just downshift to 3rd gear and keep your foot on it. Low RPM is the enemy of your flat four, not high RPM. Low RPM reduces cooling air flow, high RPM moves lots of air across the cylinders and the oil cooler. I run Mobil 1 synthetic oil which is impossible to overheat.

Oh yea, I did have one high temperature event last year returning home from 2016 KTE in Tipp City when, twenty three miles from home, the brass fuel fitting pulled out of the carb and sprayed gasoline in the engine compartment. The resulting fire was extinguished within seconds by using a foam type extinguisher. Always carry one of that type, not a useless powder type. Anyway, that was not the fault of the hills, but the fault of a forty two year old brass fitting pulling out.

Honestly, you flat land types need to be more careful going down our hills, but unless your Thing engine is real sick you will not have trouble going uphill. If your Thing slows down it is providing you more time to see our picturesque scenery, relax and take photos.

By the way, US 50 north from Beckley to I 79, and US 50 West from I 79 to Ohio are multi lane and the equivalent of Interstate Highways.

Don't be scared. Drive through Wild Wonderful West Virginia and enjoy the trip.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

Gene Kisner wrote:
What is it about a hill scares you flatlanders?

I live in West Virginia and believe me when I tell you that over the past seventeen years I have driven one of my Things on every paved road in the state, plus one pile of unpaved roads. That includes Interstate Highways, US Highways, and State Highways. I can maintain over 50 MPH on every Interstate Highway in West Virginia, and that is while the air conditioning is operating. Yes, our 74 Acapulco, all stock, has AC and I use it all the time. Sure does keep the windows from fogging up in rain. On other roads when the speed drops down to 45 MPH just downshift to 3rd gear and keep your foot on it. Low RPM is the enemy of your flat four, not high RPM. Low RPM reduces cooling air flow, high RPM moves lots of air across the cylinders and the oil cooler. I run Mobil 1 synthetic oil which is impossible to overheat.

Oh yea, I did have one high temperature event last year returning home from 2016 KTE in Tipp City when, twenty three miles from home, the brass fuel fitting pulled out of the carb and sprayed gasoline in the engine compartment. The resulting fire was extinguished within seconds by using a foam type extinguisher. Always carry one of that type, not a useless powder type. Anyway, that was not the fault of the hills, but the fault of a forty two year old brass fitting pulling out.

Honestly, you flat land types need to be more careful going down our hills, but unless your Thing engine is real sick you will not have trouble going uphill. If your Thing slows down it is providing you more time to see our picturesque scenery, relax and take photos.

By the way, US 50 north from Beckley to I 79, and US 50 West from I 79 to Ohio are multi lane and the equivalent of Interstate Highways.

Don't be scared. Drive through Wild Wonderful West Virginia and enjoy the trip.

hey Gene! I've seen your AC outfitted THING you do have a nice one sir!
Those hiways you mention could be an alternate route, I've only ever gone 64W when heading the Kentucky way so I could try those routes.
I'd be ok if I didn't have a 18 wheeler grill in the back seat on every hill.
where I'm coming from most of the trip gets chewed up by West Va due to the terrain (or it seems like it).

The problem that gets me with the hills; we had a bicycle rider pass us on Rt 33 around Luray Va once goin over the mountain, I Had to go to 2nd and flashers on that one, my wife offered to "get out and push if it would help".
That was a fun trip to say the least.

But, I will say that was on the old Pict 30/31 carb, since I got the replacement Pict 34 back on there with a diff dizzy, it does seem to have mo' power but, i'm un-tested with the new setup on hills right now.
Nice MPG with the Pict 30/31 but NO power.

I do have a "save my bug" device as well, works good, bit of a bite to check the oil though, may add a easy remove wire plug to assist with that.
Right now I use my old dipstick to check the oil cause it's very hard to see the level with the save my bug device.

Good tip on foam type extinguisher too.
Thanks everybody!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

My mistake, that is supposed to be US 19 North from Beckley to I 79.
I goofed and said US 50.

But you knew that anyway, since an even numbered US Highway can only be an east/west road, not north/south. US 19 runs north/south.

I am confused about your low speed on the hills. Way too slow compared to all of the flat four's I am around. You need to seriously checked your distributor, timing, advance, spark plugs, and plug wires. If you have changed to a non OEM distributor I believe you need to rethink that move. There are far better authorities out there than me, like Dennis Domic, but think about it, have you ever seen a loaded eighteen wheeler pass a 914 Porsche on any hill. Same engine.

Are all of the gaskets in place sealing off the bottom of the engine compartment. Hot air from the road and engine entering the carb will cost you lots of real power.

Remember, high RPM is your friend, it produces power, speed, and more air for cooling.

If you are worried about over revving your engine invest in a cheap tach. Believe me, that air cooled engine is turning lots slower than you think.
It is not a nice quiet water cooled piece of machinery.

Three weeks ago I spent four days, as part of a pit crew, at the Sebring Florida Porsche races. There were over three hundred air cooled Porsche's running flat out on a road course, lots of sharp turns, hairpins, left and right, using the engine for dynamic braking. None of that sissy NASCAR go fast, turn left crap. All of that and I did not see one single blown engine.

I admit, if you run an air cooled flat four too lean you will pop a valve head and/or melt the top out of a piston. Remember, in an air cooled engine the fuel is an important part of cylinder and head cooling.

Never run an air cooled too lean. if you drive 10,000 miles per year the difference between 25 MPG and 20 MPG is 100 gallons of gas. That is less than $250 difference. a lot less than an engine rebuild.

All of this boils down to, get it tuned up and run the crap out of it.

Hell, in West Virginia we only have two throttle positions. Full on, or full off.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

here is what we picked for the shirt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

Here is a list of what the weekend will be like at the show and here is the entry form please copy and send as soon as possible so we can get a count on the Things that will be there.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

Anyone thinking about coming it's not to early to pre register. If you pre register and cannot come we will refund your money if you let us know by June 1. We are still working on Sun. drive. Maybe French Lick and West Baden Springs Hotel tour. Hope to see everyone. Thanks Dennis and Ron.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

French Lick?
Got to be a joke in there somewhere Shocked
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

I can't make this stuff up. Check the history of these two Resorts.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

We have had a few people ask about selling parts. If you have a couple parts you want to sell it's OK to put them out by your car. If you are a vender with a lot of parts a vender spot is the same as a car entry, $ 25.00. With 9 weeks to go get your registration in soon. We have cars coming from 7 states so far.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

I'm re-posting the flyer and entry form, now that the name has been changed to protect the innocent.

Hope to see y'all there!
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

Things East is 8 weeks away. If you plan on joining us please pre register for the show and for T-shirts. Shirts are pre order only. We have cars from 8 states pre registered. Hope to see new and old friends . Thanks Ron and Dennis.
seilerj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

Made reservations for hotel for Friday and Saturday ....going in the SUV .. thing is not near close enough to done.... looking forward to event ... will be my first
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

Hope to see more pictures of this fine event soon. Cool
PLEASE
| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
https://doublecabshaka.wordpress.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2017? Reply with quote

Thanks to all that came to the show. We had 33 cars from 12 states. We can plan all we want but without people coming we don't have a show. We will be sending out all mail order shirts next week. We also drove about 200 miles on our out trips. Next year will be in N.C. July 14, 2018
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: