Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

The need for higher quality transaxle parts has become painfully apparent to many in the Syncro community, especially to guys like myself with overpowered and overloaded Westfalias. I've shared photos of my own premature gear wear (admittedly due to my love of on-ramp acceleration).
2nd and 3rd gears on their way toward failure:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/985965.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/985975.jpg

Equally disconcerting are premature failures of special ratio aftermarket gears that develop pitting after 30-40K noisy miles. (One of these belongs to a Samba member.)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1566916.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1566915.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1608164.jpg

While a number of us are presently evaluating 4th gears and R&P sets from Europe, I've also been bugging my old Porsche gear manufacturer to make a special run of gears to cover the needs of myself and a couple other discerning Syncro enthusiasts. He's finally come through, and I'm pretty happy with the results:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've had made what I consider a “sample run” of GT Vanagon 3rd & 4th gears, just to test the general enthusiasm in Syncro/Vanagon world. If they prove popular despite their scary high cost ($595), I'll continue the effort.

GT gears feature an F1 racing gear tooth profile, with helix angle adjusted for quieter street operation. They won't wear out prematurely or in a cocked pattern, but rather they'll develop uniform wear as shown on this used GT gear. (Note the prominent tip relief feature in the design, which eliminates wear on both tooth tip and tooth root.)

The finish grinding and attention to detail is unparallelled by any other manufacturer of Porsche or VW gear that I'm aware of:

Splines that fit the pinion shaft properly !

GT Porsche racing gears typically last twice as long as the Porsche factory's racing gears, so when it's time for a trans rebuild, I'm sure I'll be reinstalling the same used GT VW Syncro gears, time after time.

I thought I'd use a comparison graph as my gear availability list. If it's listed under 3rd or 4th, I've got at least a few of:

'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Tough to tell from the way you described it. Are the gears $595 each or for a pair, 3rd and 4th?

Seems like a winner.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Cost was tough for me to swallow too, but I think the extra reliability makes the effort worthwhile. These gears sell for $595 per ratio ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Cool.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

It's a shame that such nice gears won't be seen once installed. I'm currently a non-syncro owner, but always enjoy lurking your transmission posts. Thanks for bringing these to market.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

I would think it's HP / Torque related, not 2wd/4WD.

Shouldn't any Vanagon with ~150+ HP be using the best 4th gear money can buy?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

That's true, Sodo .. but a 2WD is relatively inexpensive to rebuild. My goal is to build as reliable (long lasting) a Syncro trans as possible. While 2WD owners could see benefits to using these parts, for Syncros with bigger engines it's almost a necessity (to protect the rest of the investment).
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Gears, Wow, Very nice looking parts. I'm sure I can sell some of these.
So you have all the ratios listed Available? Great! that is a great selection of ratios.
Just to Clarify
These gears fit Both Syncro and 2wd Vanagon Watercooled Transaxles?
I have plenty of Swapped 2wd and $yncro customers willing to spend extra for quality parts!
Looking forward to doing business real soon!
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

These gears are for 091/1, 094, 094 4WD (Syncro). As you can see, we've even made HD replacements for the stock 3rd & 4th ratios.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Beautiful parts.
Are there any downsides besides the cost? Would they be noisier at all?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Fine teeth should be quieter. I have often wondered if the coarse teeth of "race gears" is sets up a virbration that's rough on the embattled mainshaft bearing.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Amazing. Don't make me want to dig into my trans sooner than I want! It will be a little bit before I buy a set, but my eyes are on them for sure. I'm hoping some other bits get some new development too before my time comes.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

I had to dig into my new trans cuz a clip came off the decoupler and fooked up some stuff. I bought a GT .82 set. Anyone wanna buy my .82 Weddle 4th gear set - it only has 300 miles.

Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Hi Paul, Any chance of getting a .87 4th ? I'm running a 5:43 R&P.

Thanks, Seth
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

I had initially ordered a smaller tooth size for my 4th gears (while leaving 3rd gears with larger teeth), but my gear cutter talked me into making both 3rd & 4th with coarse teeth .. essentially the same tooth counts as other aftermarket gears.

OE-style vs GT gear

I've been assured that our gears will be quieter than typical coarse toothed racing gears, and that's certainly been true of GT Porsche gears. The enhanced pressure angle of an F1 tooth profile will always be audible, but GT gears won't "howl" like a crudely cut gear.

Seth, we can make a graph of whatever you're planning, and special order ratios are welcome. But I suspect you're after something other than .87 (which would really be splitting hairs compared to what is already available).

Oh .. aside from special orders, GT products have always carried a satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like what you've purchased, pull it out and return it within a reasonable amount of time for a full refund. No other gear manufacturer has ever offered this level of warranty, but that's how we ran our gear business for over 15 years.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5

Last edited by gears on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

This is great news, I'm glad you are offering your time to get into having these made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Looks awesome! Too bad my transaxle was just rebuilt! Any progress or hope of the fabled new syncro transaxle you may be designing? Or is it too good to be true?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

gears wrote:
These gears are for 091/1, 094, 094 4WD (Syncro).

Will they work in the Bus 091? Not that most Bus owners need the strength, but new parts being available are a good thing...
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

Where does one order these parts? Is there a web site?

I love that new parts are being made for the Syncro. I have a locker tranny sitting in the garage that I'm planning to rebuild. In the next month or so.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: GT heavy duty gears for Syncro Vanagons Reply with quote

If I receive a PM, I can
1) provide my direct e-mail
2) answer off-topic questions
3) recommend a rebuilder/retailer, or
4) arrange for direct sale of GT gears

I doubt I'll get involved enough for websites, credit card machines, etc again. This is a low-key, semi-retirement business.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: