Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Molded oil breather replacement hose
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Molded oil breather replacement hose Reply with quote

I searched and searched a multitude of related topics on this last night, and read through numerous posts, but didn't find the answer.

I've seen others post about using a molded, small diameter radiator hose from a modern vehicle to replace the oil breather hose on late bay FI engines. The main problem is finding one with a molded 90 degree curve, which can then be cut and trimmed to proper length. I'm not looking for one covered with braid. Engine is a '78 2.0 L, FI. It is item H at Ratwells vacuum hose diagrams -
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

The problem is that I can't find an old post where the make and year of vehicle is stated that they got the hose from, which obviously makes one a lot harder to track down.

Knowing the local auto parts stores around here, a request to try and match the hose would probably be met with stunned silence Shocked , followed by several minutes of insisting on "looking it up" in the computer, followed by a "sorry, can't help you." Rolling Eyes

So, can anyone recommend a vehicle that they've had success with?

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just take the old hose in with me and ask the counter person to let me look at their hoses hanging on the wall. You can also ask to look in their book. If will list the end sizes and then have pictures of the various hoses.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'll try that here. Trouble is, there are NO local places here with hoses on the wall. I'll go for the books someplace, or else google the hell out of "radiator hose sizes". Thanks.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mine is actually some sort of heavy flex line, I don't know what it is for. Autozone always seems to have racks of hoses, do a local google search.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up unitl this afternoon, the score was FLAPS 7 Darryl 0.

Carquest to the rescue. The parts guy let me go behind the counter to the back room and let me scope out the hose wall. Found a Gates #19833 which fit the bill the closest. Its a little bit too small - about a 19.5mm inner diameter, but it fit over the oil breather outlet. Cost about $24 CDN. The guy didn't even know what vehicle it was for, and I didn't find anything on a google search, but I'm happy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Meyer wrote:
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are now being custom reproduced by a vendor in the classified:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1218074
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:
These are now being custom reproduced by a vendor in the classified:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1218074

These fit and work well
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the PCV hose and the double curve Decel hose today. I got one of the earliest S-boots he fabricated and it fits like a glove, so naturally I went back to him when I needed to replace the rest of the tough to find molded hoses.

M
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Molded oil breather replacement hose Reply with quote

Bumping this because I'm currently searching for a new 22mm ID oil breather hose ("H" in the Ratwell article)

Recently I realized my PO must have had the same problem, and used a modern 7/8" ID heater hose. The diameter is good, but the length is too short so it ended up kinking/pinching/collapsing. I'm wondering if it's giving me vacuum issues for why I'm running like crap at random times... My temp fix was to tighten a hose clamp over the kink to keep it from collapsing.

I don't want to pay $72 for the above repro hose, even though it is very pretty.

I found 7/8 ID heater hose for real cheap, but only in a straight length. I can't find a 90 degree elbow, so I figured I'd use an extra long hose lol

That "Gates 19833" hose DWill uses, everything is saying its only 3/4" ID so I'm worried I'll have to carve it out to make it fit. See http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GAT0/19833.oap?pt=02716&ppt=C0108
Elbow would be nice but I don't want to create more problems.

Anyone else have a cheap solution? Or have an aluminum/brass 90 degree barbed union/fitting?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
Up unitl this afternoon, the score was FLAPS 7 Darryl 0.

Carquest to the rescue. The parts guy let me go behind the counter to the back room and let me scope out the hose wall. Found a Gates #19833 which fit the bill the closest. Its a little bit too small - about a 19.5mm inner diameter, but it fit over the oil breather outlet. Cost about $24 CDN. The guy didn't even know what vehicle it was for, and I didn't find anything on a google search, but I'm happy.

Looks like this guy solved your problem. He even shows the Gates part number

https://www.amazon.com/Gates-19833-Coolant-Hose/dp/B000Q0YPSC
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Molded oil breather replacement hose Reply with quote

Gee, that was almost 10 years ago. That Gates hose is still working fine, still pliable.

Meyer wrote:
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Molded oil breather replacement hose Reply with quote

^ When I plug in that part number, everything says it's 3/4" ID but ratwell calls for 7/8" ID.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
Its a little bit too small - about a 19.5mm inner diameter, but it fit over the oil breather outlet.

Sprinkles wrote:
That "Gates 19833" hose DWill uses, everything is saying its only 3/4" ID so I'm worried I'll have to carve it out to make it fit.

Sprinkles wrote:
When I plug in that part number, everything says it's 3/4" ID but ratwell calls for 7/8" ID.

Yup. I said that in one of my first posts. All the links that others have provided said the same thing - its a 3/4" inner diameter hose. It fits fine. You may have to warm it up or heat it up a little with a heat gun or hair dryer and it will slip right on and stay there.

Meyer wrote:
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Molded oil breather replacement hose Reply with quote

The only problem with going that route....if it's that tight. If you have a back fire and the hose doesn't let go, which is why you should not use clamps on these hoses....you can kiss your AFM goodbye.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Molded oil breather replacement hose Reply with quote

I use a hose that I found a good size in my Ace hardware in the plumbing section. It was thick enough walled that it wouldn't collapse, but flexible enough to make the bend. I shaved just a tiny bit off the bottom where it plugs into the breather so it would slide on

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Molded oil breather replacement hose Reply with quote

I found/bought a 2 foot section of hose off Amazon - 7/8" ID, looks like reinforced hi-temp silicone. It bends easy enough but does not kink. Going to see how that works this weekend
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00566KC7E/
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Molded oil breather replacement hose Reply with quote

if you can find a spring to slip over the hose it would prevent the hose from kinking,same idea as the spring used to bend tubing.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: