Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips on installing engine in Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
driftman11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Tips on installing engine in Thing? Reply with quote

I have been trying to find some tips or advice on putting the engine back in my vw thing. I removed it by pulling the body off the pan. it wasn't hard this way, but with the body back on the pan and bolted in, I don't really know the best practices on putting engine back in without scratching it up. I have it all painted nice and pretty and don't want to ruin that. haha I know I have heard of removing certain parts makes it easier, but what parts are these?

Also, should I install my factory 1974 thru bumper exhaust before or after I install the engine?

Thank you
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on installing engine in thing???? Reply with quote

Check out my post on this old thread...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156049&highlight=jack

For yours I would install with the muffler already on the engine. Remove the rear tin (of course), and heater hoses, EGR valve and down tube if applicable, gen/alt pulley (don't misplace the woodruff key), and use painters tape on top of the fan shroud since you will have a hand there all of the time until you get everything to mesh and slide in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: