Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Touch Up Paint Options
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Touch Up Paint Options Reply with quote

Been busy working on the Syncro and want some input on different touch up paint options. I have some small chips/spots I planned to touch up with a small brush or pen and one or two spots (about quarter size) I might want to sand, prime, and spray. I've been reading up on the paintscratch.com website since that's popular on here, I like the spray can option, paint pens, etc. One stop shopping.
I also called the local VW dealer to ask about dealer supplied paint. A friend was able to purchase factory touch up paint there several years ago so I thought it was worth a shot. Unfortunately they said it was no longer available but recommended the local Finishmaster http://finishmaster.com/ I called and talked to those guys and everything sounded good. He said they use standox which is the new version of PPG international/glasurit so it would be mixed by the code. No scanner required, plus they sell preval spray systems if I wanted to cover a larger area. However no aerosol cans like paintscratch. They sell the touch up bottles (with brush) that hold ~2oz but would probably have to mix 8oz minimum and just fill the bottle for me and put the extra in a can. He said he could also add a little thinner if I planned to spray with a preval system. Anyone have experience with one of these? Everything sounded pretty good but I'm still undecided about how to proceed. Paintscratch seems to be popular but their exchange policies sound like a hassle if it's not right. One benefit of the local Finishmaster would be the face to face plus it sounds like they sell most (but not all) of the extras I would need.
Just looking for opinions/experience with Finishmaster since this adds another option to my project.
BTW my paint code is LH1V, Savannah Beige Metallic, so no matter what it sounds like it probably won't be 100% perfect. From what I've read gold and metallics are the two hardest to match and blend. Sad
Just looking for something that looks better than it does now and is as close as possible without a full respray!
Thanks!
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check ouit paintscratch.com have ordered from them a few times and color always matched,even metallic's.just keep the can or spray gun mixed(kept shakin the can).i.ve have ordered the spray cans and always matched.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcook52459 wrote:
check ouit paintscratch.com have ordered from them a few times and color always matched,even metallic's.just keep the can or spray gun mixed(kept shakin the can).i.ve have ordered the spray cans and always matched.

x2
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah paintscratch was my original plan as mentioned above. Just thought I'd put a feeler out for finishmaster since I've never used them before.
I actually went by there yesterday just to check it out (after I called them and posted here) and was impressed with the shop. Lots of commercial grade equipment and chemicals supplying the local shops and they seemed fairly busy. Despite that they were helpful and answered any questions I had which I appreciate. I went ahead and had them mix up a small bottle ~2oz of LH1V and picked up a couple other small items since they were much cheaper than FLAPS. Got home and did a side by side and it was way off. Much more gold than beige so I'm planning to go back today and see if they can tweek it. I'll probably place an order with paintscratch anyway but thought I'd try these guys since they're local and the small bottle was only about $4 so it was worth a shot.
I remembered I had a small bottle of touch up paint that came with the van from the PO. Finally found it and it looked to be maybe dealer supplied back in the day but half of the label is missing now. Sad Fortunately after shaking it for 5-10 minutes I was able to pry the lid off and run a couple small tests and it's still almost an exact match. From sitting so long I think it's still not 100% mixed since I can see some white and red tint or base at the bottom of the jar. Would it help to run this under some hot water and keep shaking? I'm a little leary to stick something down in the jar to stir that stuff up, worried about contamination.
I might take this and the new mixture back to see if that would help them. Like I said I'll probably order from paintscratch but if I can get these guys to get it perfect it'll save some money and I can work on it while I'm off for the holidays without waiting on a shipment!
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

add a bit of laquer thinner to it.just a drop or 2 untill you think you got thin enough
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Paintmatch, results were fine. I've also used the Preval system, but not finishmaster, and it works well, too. So add that to your decision matrix!
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Orly Blue Reply with quote

Is there a good paint out there that can match Orly Blue besides Glasurit? I had a bad result once with another van when I let the shop "match" it and use their brand of paint. Are there any paint brands to stay away from?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Orly Blue Reply with quote

wtcumby wrote:
Is there a good paint out there that can match Orly Blue besides Glasurit? I had a bad result once with another van when I let the shop "match" it and use their brand of paint. Are there any paint brands to stay away from?

I bought Orly Blue Metallic in bottle and spray can forms from www.automotivetouchup.com a few years ago; both are a perfect match. (One caveat with that site: If you've got a '90 Orly Blue, you'll have to use '91 for your search year.)
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Im doing the whole right side and front so I need a more than touch up.
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since your in Portland ingustrial finishes can match it with DuPont,R&M probally any paint manufacture you want.foster auto parts paint department is industrial paint.there's one on mcgoughlin to.

Last edited by rcook52459 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcook52459 wrote:

x3...
seems to cost a bit more...
but shows up on the doorstep, ready to go...
no fuss no muss..
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here bought aftermarket Star Blue Metallic in spray cans or small quantity pint jars, etc.? I'd like to re-do my rocker panels without breaking the bank, but wonder about how well the color matches. I've noticed that some Honda and Chrysler minivans have a similar color scheme

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
GreenieSMU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch Up Paint Options Reply with quote

Is the paint from paintscratch.com single stage like what came on my van originally in 1980? It was recommended to me to use a single stage touch up paint. Any advice is welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch Up Paint Options Reply with quote

Yes it is
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Touch Up Paint Options Reply with quote

I just tried some paintscratch paint in the rattle can and it seemed very thin and splotchy. Confused Has anyone else experienced this? I just ordered a bunch more. I thought what I had would paint my luggage rack on my westy (2 cans, and I don't even plan on using that on the storage area of the luggage rack), but I feel I went through half a can and still not covering one little test area very well at all. I shook the can for like 5 minutes prior to and during coating. Any feedback would be helpful. Color seems to be pretty good, just seems real thin and going to take A LOT of paint and coats. Thanks all!
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Touch Up Paint Options Reply with quote

I have no idea what the above mentioned options cost but what I've done on many vehicles is go to the local auto paint store and ask them to use their camera to match your paint. They have a specialized camera that blocks all light and will give them what they need to mix an exact match, no matter the fading. I just got 2 pints mixed, one for a repaired place on my pop top and one dark brown for touching up the body. Both pints mixed for around $35 and a pint is plenty to do a bigger repair if needed as well. I have enough left over to last forever.

I use touch up brushes or more often a Preval gun. The Preval stuff can be found on Amazon or Ebay cheap too.

Wink
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Touch Up Paint Options Reply with quote

Yeh, I am in about $200 just in 8 rattle cans of the paintscratch stuff. Embarassed I will definitely go a different route at a later time, but I guess it allows me some touch up that I need to get coated before rust takes over too bad. Anyone use a good primer with the paintscratch rattle cans? And did that help with coverage? Thanks all,

Fran
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Touch Up Paint Options Reply with quote

Wurth makes a good etching primer in a rattle can
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: