Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hand Crank Tin?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Thanks for the hole size info BNMike!

And good point too on possible crush/bending:
it's been a while since I used a hole punch, we used to use them a lot making alarm panels but it's been years!
made nice holes when they worked tho'!

I'll get something to drill it maybe, stay tuned I'll post something when I get to that point. may be a while it's to freakin cold here to do squat!
Plus, I need to get the THING turned around in the garage to do this and haven't been able to yet. Junk/cats/recycle in the way! Need bigger garage! Shocked

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

I finally have everything to put the crank handle on my 74.
The handle arrived from Al Capulco, and I found my 36 mm socket that is needed for the pulley nut.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Made some progress with my install of the crank nut,

Got my rear tin out of the bay, (that was fun).

My crank bolt was a 30mm (stock?) anyways, had to buy a dern socket to
get that off, and the new crank nut was a 34mm, figured I had the socket for that!

I put the THING in 4th gear and set the emerg brake, that put enough pressure on the system to allow me to remove the old crank nut and replace the new one, from the tourq specs I was given, I went for 34ft/lbs

Right now, I'm test fitting the replacement tin to be drilled and am going to try to find something to fit in the crank nut and put a dot or center punch point for where to drill.

Shopping at my brothers scrap bin, I found a old millwalkie tool box to get the
donor hinge and sheet metal for a flap. Going to attempt to make one and see how it goes, plan b, ill find a plug of some sort.

My THING had the EGR pipe in it and the square biscuit thing that mounted to the exhaust was left dingling under the tin, I've cut it off as it was rotten, but I cant get the remaining nut/threads out of the engine tin.
AND I bout cut off the tip of my finger attempting to do so(wrench slip) and man that TIN is SHARP! BE careful yall (more careful than I was at least).

I'll leave that EGR pipe nut for now!

Thanks for those who helped with the INFO.

T
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Got my tin drilled this weekend, didn't do too bad. I used a 1 3/4 inch
hole saw but the hole is prob a tad larger.[need to take an exact measure].

But, the making of the metal flap door, is being a bit challenging, looking at the bus tin, the THING tin seems to have more of a dip or curve where the flip door would fit...like this shape: ---___---
Not sure with a hinge doing a knife action move would fit in the dip in the tin.

Pondered a double hinged flap that folds up twice towards the lid opening but the hinge I had in mind doesn't open far enough to work.

A rubber plug may be a better go if I can find one that will fit.
The best I could do was a 66 Mustang floor plug, but my drilled hole is just
a tad bigger so that's out for now. [although I rigged one with a metal tab] as it works but its fugly.

I'll look around and see what I can find....
open for suggestions too!
Thanks

T
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pictures of a NOS 181 engine tin with hole for crank start. I apologize for the poor picture quality and the washing machine in the background (the wood floor was too dark of a background).

One item to note is that there is no flap to cover the hole. It is a later style piece of tin (no oil drip tube opening). I don't know if earlier versions had the flap or not. I tried looking in my August 1969 zivil manual, but it doesn't even mention the handcrank (I suspect it was a military only option since only M63 mentions it). My September 1969 military manual shows where the handle is stored in the engine compartment, but the picture cuts off any view of the tin. There is no description of using the handle, which is odd.

The opening is 45mm or just a hair over 1 and 3/4 inches in diameter.

el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Hi
Nice part and very rare in this condition!
I have never seen a flap on the 181's Cool
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Hey El_Safari and SilverThing;

Thanks for the info and the photos!

Thanks for confirming the "no flap" for the THINGS.
Although I do like the idea of a permanent flap door (wont get lost) the making of one would be a Saturday adventure.

I'm currently on the hunt for a rubber body plug (sheet metal plug) in the
1 3/4inch size, that's what my drilled hole measured.

But these body plugs/sheet metal plugs, i'm not sure if they are a tad over the measured hole size or exact. All I've got handy are 1 1/2inch size leftover from the 66 Mustang resto.

Finding one plug verses "buying enough to circle the globe" appeared to be the challenge until just a bit a go, I did find 1 for sale believe it or not:

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/1378...stang.html

As an alternative, Dennis Carpenter (ford site) had a larger rubber body/sheet metal plug but they didn't give an exact measurement for it.

Just curious;
but If anyone else has done this, Where'd you get your rubber plug? (if you used one?)

Currently I "made" one with the 1 1/2inch plug with a tab and a few pop rivets, it works but again it's UGLY/first draft,
I can do better! Shocked

Thanks all!

T
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

I'm sure I have seen it with a flap. It was hinged and spring loaded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
I'm sure I have seen it with a flap. It was hinged and spring loaded.

Hey Al, I'd love to see a photo with a real THING tin with the flap, I'm curious of the flaps shape...

I finally got my tin drilled and sand blasted, just need to paint the dern thing.

The THING tin seems to be a bit different where the hole would be from the "bus" one in the photos. The THING tin seems to be more indentured (where the hole is) I suppose a slide flap could work but it seems it would need to bend a bit and drag over the indentures.

The flap door if made right, could flip and fit with out too much drag, but I'd love to see a real one. I may try a dual hinged flap that folds upwards and out, but the hinges would need to be stiff so they would stay closed else they will just rattle with the rest of it!

I'll get some photos soon. Right now I'm going with the rubber plug I made for now.

EDIT: here are the photos:

These two pic's are of the "plug" I made with available parts. I'd like to do something that "looks better" but for now it may suffice.

T
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hand Crank Tin? Reply with quote

updated
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: