Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

I run an Aurora 20 LED E-code (approved) light bar on our old Outback and have a Bright Source 40 LED E-code bar that will be going on my Syncro. The massive illegal light bars will outperform them but these two are street legal (at least here in Canada) and are a huge improvement over any other lights I've tried. A friend of mine has a pair of HID Hella 1000's that I was sure would destroy the 18" long 20 LED Aurora but the small light bar outperforms them and was a fifth of the price.

I would like to get one of the big light bars across the top for off-road and looks but for now I'm sticking to function that won't get me a ticket.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
...we use them to see Deer and Elk when we are at speed traveling through the gravel road BLM sections...

Why are you guys in such a hurry? I sometimes have to drive 90 miles of gravel
to get to my SNF campsite, but I only go as fast as my (stock, relayed, 100/85w bulb)
headlights allow. I still manage to avoid all the deer & moose (but no elk) that happen
to come my way... Rolling Eyes Wink Twisted Evil

Oh well, I've said before that I'm cheap, and I guess this proves it...(stock lamps
& alt...no LED bars......low speed/high fuel efficiency...etc, etc, etc...) Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just think of all the money I'm saving...and you can, too! Still love all y'all, though... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: LED Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael's video is amazing. If I could figure out how to mount a light bar where I couldn't see it I certainly would. I don't love the look of them.

Maybe a 36" or so on top of the front bumper but I don't like anything big up high like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: LED Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Lightbars aside...
Can anyone please show me a video of a South African grille before with standard halogen H4 headlights vs. after with quality LED headlights? Without this comparison it's hard for me to justify the $$$ considering that the SA halogens are already such a marked improvement over the OEM square headlights. Thanks.

I wish I had another van with the SA grille lights for a side by side comparison. Maybe at the Syncro Solstice?

Aside from the lightbar, upgrading the SA lights to LED is a marked improvement over the H4 Hella high output lamps. The LED lights, when properly mounted and aimed, have a wide beam pattern to help you see off the shoulders of the roads. The 6000k light is whiter and more like daylight. There is also the advantage of using less power and more life expectancy. Power draw is 1.8amp (low beam), 3.6amp (high beam) per light. So on high beam, with my Hella H4 HID 50w lights on, I draw around 15.53amp. Compare that to the H4 high output at 400w and 33.33amp. That is half the amperage and stated as over 5 times the light output.

If for no other reason than to help your old wiring and electrical system the LED lights are a definite advantage. I am still looking for LED replacements for the inside high beam lights to cut down even more amps but the ones I like are still very expensive. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: LED Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

Having spent all of 2017 in baja I can tell you that I will get one of these as soon as I get back to the US
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

I would like to have quick release wiring and attachment to the Westy luggage rack for one of those curved LED lightbars. So I could easily attach it if the need arises. Such as going to Baja. And easily remove it to go back to regular Westy appearance. Requires a method to lock it for theft protection...

Of course after one little taste of it......it would never be removed......oh the dilemmas of going down that path! Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

I'd say just go with the light bar brackets by VanagonLife that tjet mentioned. You can install them on your gutters with security screws. Just need to find a quick-release plug for the lightbar and you're all set!

http://www.vanagonlife.com/theshop/vanagonlife-lightbar-brackets

Sodo wrote:
I would like to have quick release wiring and attachment to the Westy luggage rack for one of those curved LED lightbars. So I could easily attach it if the need arises. Such as going to Baja. And easily remove it to go back to regular Westy appearance. Requires a method to lock it for theft protection...

Of course after one little taste of it......it would never be removed......oh the dilemmas of going down that path! Wink

shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

I don't use mine much at all, except for when we're out in the desert. The road into my friends river house is 17 miles of lonely twisting turning road. As you get closer to the river, the burro's are a known hazard. The LED light bar is a fantastic tool for those times.

If we're on the Highway though, my Four Hella H4 E-Code Headlights with 80W Bulbs do a pretty good job of lighting up from ditch to ditch.

It's just the light bar with 15-70-15 Flood/Spot/Flood goes beyond the ditches. Personally, I like the look of the Hella 500's I had on there originally, but the light bar is literally a night and day difference.

You can imagine how dark it is out in the wilds of Utah after dark. With my mix of lighting, I always had the lighting needed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
newfisher wrote:
...we use them to see Deer and Elk when we are at speed traveling through the gravel road BLM sections...

Why are you guys in such a hurry? I sometimes have to drive 90 miles of gravel
to get to my SNF campsite, but I only go as fast as my (stock, relayed, 100/85w bulb)
headlights allow.

Some of us aren't just avoiding wildlife on the way to camp but would like to get home from work or town safely in a timely(mach3) manner. Wink

Between town and our place we've got deer, bears, moose, coyotes, and more rarely Lynx, caribou, and wolves. Moose are the worst but I'd rather not hit any of them Smile

86scotty wrote:

Maybe a 36" or so on top of the front bumper but I don't like anything big up high like that.

You could get a single row one like the one on our outback and mount it between the slots in the grill. I have been looking into this extensively myself since I was worried about the effect it may have on cooling but it doesn't seem to make a difference in temperature from what I've been able to find out. I'll probably try this myself and then I'll try to remember to report back how it goes.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:
It's just the light bar with 15-70-15 Flood/Spot/Flood goes beyond the ditches. Personally, I like the look of the Hella 500's I had on there originally, but the light bar is literally a night and day difference.

Is that a 50" light bar? Does it have any affect on cooling?

89 Syncro - Juniper Mackenzie

09 Honda Fit - Finnie
17 Ram ProMaster - John Hordle
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

Sodo, the 42" on my truck and the 20" on thw Wifes car bothe have two prong weather pac plugs on them. That plus two screws and shes off.

That being said Ive had aux lights on my vehicles for 15 years in he greater seattle Met area and never heard a word about it from all the cops who've pulled me over for other things.

Some anti theft screws from tacoma screw and youd wouldnt have much to worry about.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

I've thought about a light bar when going over the Pali at night. It might dispel the Night Marchers, but I'll still carry a bottle of gin just in case.

Aloha
tp
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

uther wrote:
shadetreetim wrote:

Is that a 50" light bar? Does it have any affect on cooling?

Yes, it's a 50" generic curved bar from ebay. If any affect on cooling, it is so minute it doesn't register on the gauge. Been on there several years now.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Here is a short clip I made back before switching to LED and HID headlamps.

Link

Unless you are hunting escaped prisoners or something, why would you need to have lighting as bright as the 288W LED shown in the video - seems way over the top to me.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

" Unless you are hunting escaped prisoners or something, why would you need to have lighting as bright as the 288W LED shown in the video - seems way over the top to me."

You really have to drive with them to fully understand how " comfortable" night driving becomes. It really is like driving in daylight. No tunnel vision, no eye fatigue etc. When we caravanagon with 5-6 vans, the ones behind me can turn thier lights off and still see whats happening. I also have 4 85w LED 5 inch lamps on the sides of the van. when camping off road/off grid it's amazing how well you can see under the trees and find a camp spot.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Lightbars aside...
Can anyone please show me a video of a South African grille before with standard halogen H4 headlights vs. after with quality LED headlights? Without this comparison it's hard for me to justify the $$$ considering that the SA halogens are already such a marked improvement over the OEM square headlights. Thanks.

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Unless you are hunting escaped prisoners or something, why would you need to have lighting as bright as the 288W LED shown in the video - seems way over the top to me.

I cannot count how many times these lights have prevented hitting an animal on the road. I am paranoid about it.

When I was about eight years old I was riding on the top bunk of my fathers cab over camper. We were coming back from riding dirt bikes in the desert and I was sleeping. I woke up to a crash as dad ran into a black angus cow that was lying in the middle of the desert road on a black night. The 1973 ford pickup sustained damage but was still driveable. The cow, well dad put it out of it's misery. It was pretty messed up and ended up off the shoulder of the road.

So I don't care how much money I spend on lights, I am going to see what is in front of me at night.

Here is a little clip I made to show the difference between the 1987 stock square lamps, the SA Grille high output Hella lamps, and the LED, HID, Light Bar. Is it way over the top? You tell me...

Link

ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

^^^^^

SOLD!

1. Which brand/model 7" LED headlights do you have in your outer SA grill?
2. Are high quality 5.5" inner SA grill LED high beam headlights available yet?

Thank you SJ!
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

Really like the LED bar on my grill guard. Helps when getting at a campground at night.

The bar is 20" an fits perfectly under the guard, thanks too Newfisher for the tip.

Also using LED cubes for backup lights, I can see clearly now!

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: LED Light Bar Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
^^^^^

SOLD!

1. Which brand/model 7" LED headlights do you have in your outer SA grill?
2. Are high quality 5.5" inner SA grill LED high beam headlights available yet?

Thank you SJ!

I am running TruckLites. On the 7in outers.
There are some 5.5in LEDs out there but any that have the range I would like are still very expensive. My inner HID xenon bulbs do work great for high beams. Although they still take a few seconds to warm up and produce their maximum output when you first turn them on.

Really look around for beam patterns and newer lights, they are still making many improvements. Just adding LEDs to your existing reflectors will give you better light but at the cost of fellow motorists being blinded by glare. And we have all experienced that.

Beware that you still get what you pay for.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Craze | Form or Function? Reply with quote

Thanks Tjet and Syncro Jael. The info and links have now got me fired up a bit. I'm still old school with my lighting array and am happy with it but I can see some potential there. Especially when we speak of those remote back roads, critters and boulders at night.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: