Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

(unusual) air filter
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: (unusual) air filter Reply with quote

Hi, I picked up this air filter assy recently as it looks interesting. I was told it was for use in dusty climates as it has a larger collection area inside. I have an Aussie import and thought it might be suitable for my car but I don't think so. I have done some digging and it might actually be off a Trekker/Thing.

What do you peeps think?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: (unusual) air filter Reply with quote

Yep the part number starting with 181 is a giveaway, that would be a part designed for the Type 18 aka Thing.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: (unusual) air filter Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Yep the part number starting with 181 is a giveaway, that would be a part designed for the Type 18 aka Thing.

You beat me to it, I knew it was someThing. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink Wink Wink Laughing Laughing Cool Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Smile Surprised Razz Razz Razz Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing Razz Laughing Cool

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: (unusual) air filter Reply with quote

Something that is interesting about the 181 129 613E air cleaners is how the oil breather pipe (crankcase ventilation) has a 90 degree bend in it. This allows the breather tube to be a straight rubber tube from the oil filler on the engine. Earlier versions of the 181 air cleaner had the oil breather pipe oriented vertically downwards, which required the rubber tube to have a 90 degree bend in it (which would often crack at the 90 and drip oil all over).

Judging by the date stamp, your air cleaner is from late in the 1974 model year (7/74). I can't read the bracket's stamp clearly.

I couldn't tell from the pictures of yours, but my 181 129 613E air cleaner doesn't have the fitting for the fuel vapor recovery system that my 181 129 613D air cleaner has. Mine also doesn't have the red text on the top, but it does have a big red sticker on the side with the same text about dusty conditions.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: (unusual) air filter Reply with quote

Moved to Thing Forum.

Yes, 181 part # = Thing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: (unusual) air filter Reply with quote

Thanks EverttB for keeping me straight.

I like the look of it but it wont fit my beetle, not enough room which is a shame so not aure what to with it now, anyway but it is interesting.

Thanks for all the replies in helping to i d it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: