Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Seat Swap (Town & Country 2nd Row)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Good to hear these seats seem to provide good support on long hauls, bad to hear I may have a clearance issue. Well I guess it's good to know about it now rather than learn about after install. It made me double check my current clearance and if I sit up straight I only have about 3/4-1" of clearance to the headliner. So it sounds like these seats will probably land me up against the headliner, bummer. Not sure I want to give up the swivel just yet. Thanks for the feedback, very helpful for sorting through a decision.
c2mrdale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

SSWesty wrote:
...bad to hear I may have a clearance issue.

I managed to avoid any clearance issues by mounting directly to the top dish of the swivel adapter and cutting off the tracks. My seats sit about 1/8" or less from the carpet. details in this thread.
* EJ25 with Small Car kit
* Poptop conversion by Vanlab
* Desperately seeking dash AC
* Stow and Go leather seats
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GDTRFB>
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

In case anyone is looking for a Tan set in cloth I have a pair for sale. They didn't quite match my dark brown interior as well as i would have liked. I ended up ordering black leather for a closer match to the dark brown panels and carpet. The tan would look great in a van with the light brown door panels and light brown/camel carpet. I'm located in Fredericksburg, VA if anyone local wants to pick them up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pipodayo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Anybody tried to install the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica ?
tosimplify
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I made the big leap a couple of weeks ago, and man, what an improvement.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Black leather seats from a 2015 Caravan, installed on the stock rails on the drivers side (i.e. no swivel), and on the bolt-on swivel base on the passenger side. Since the slider mechanisms are self contained on the seats, I just made a 1/4" thick steel adapter plate for each seat. Bolted the plate to the original rails, and then bolted the new seat sliders to the plate. Lot's of careful measuring to get all the various bolt holes to line up, but straightforward conceptually. Here's a shot of one during early testing:

Big thumbs up on this upgrade. WAY more comfortable, the sliders work like butter, and the reclining angle is a little bit more than the stock seats. Very napworthy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I joined the herd a while ago... like my black leather.

[/img]
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Many thanks to the OP for discovering these! I've ordered the smallcar brackets and have the seats ready to go. Really wanted the tan leather, but I couldn't find any. Fabric will have to do.

If I use the smallcar brackets, do I need the sliders from my original seats? Or just the sliders on the new seats mounted to the original swivels? I've read the whole thread, and I know these have 4" travel and the original seats have 6" - but not sure WHICH rails the smallcar bracket keeps?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

pipodayo wrote:
Anybody tried to install the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica ?

I'll be trying them on my '75 Bus in a couple of weeks when the seats get here. Scored a set of black leather Pacifica S&G seats from the Arizona seller, $220 shipped for the pair. No hardware at all but meh .. I've got a couple pairs of sliders from some PT Cruiser seats kicking around and a welder, and worst case the universal sliders are cheap enough. Seems as though the leather Pacifica seats have heaters in them too...
johnnyjewel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Would like to ask: Are these Chrysler seats firm? I recently spent 8 days on the road -- with a 4 day respite between 2 four day stints. Turns out that sitting on a HARD surface on the painful side (I put a board to sit on) not only did not cause pain but relieved pain, so I'm thinking that my next seats need to be FIRM.

Chrysler seats: firm or soft?

AND, are Recaro seats firm? I need evidence for dropping the big buck on at least one Recaro Very Happy .

"Everybody matters or nobody matters." Hieronymus Bosch
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Recaros are firm.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I can't answer about the firmness, I'm afraid I can't judge from memory - but I used to get buttock ache on my RHS on the originals. I don't on the new T&Cs. That could just be down to the age difference of the seats (wear and tear) or just how my butt fits the T&C contours. Whatever, I'm very glad I fitted them!
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I'd call them firm. I think it's been covered a bit earlier in this post.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

entyceingvws wrote:
T&C in a Bay Window Bus. Can post more pics if needed

Hi. Great that someone has tried these in a Bay. I'm looking at a very expensive experiment if they don't fit in my Bay, so I wanted to ask for some measurements before I bought. I have door cards with the integrated armrest / ductwork and just want some measurements to see if simply removing the outer armrests would resolve the fit issue. Any time to put some measuring tape down for a fellow Bay owner?

Marshall
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Having shamelessly stolen a picture from page 2 or 3, I have a question regarding How-To; So, I have located 8 Chrysler T&C's within my usual drive in U-Pull-It's, and want some experienced person to chime in on the way NOT to Hurt myself. I believe I have circled the 6 locations I believe need ratcheted off. More hints would help. All 8 are early 2000's, and I'm quoted $22/seat. I'd have to guess that is a good deal...

This picture was captioned something like, "just 6 nuts, took about 10 minutes"

I looked further on the web, and see the whole thing, including frame comes out with 3 bolts each seat, but requires some tool to retain the pivot. I am not at all interested in the frame, so can I just partially close the Stow and Go to the neutral spot and unbolt these 6 locations and remove only the seat?

Thanks!

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

I would just like to reiterate that the seat pictured on the near side of the bay above in webwalker's post is a middle Stow N' Go from a pre-2009 Mopar van, and the seats that the OP installed, the seats that this thread is about, the seats that are the vast improvement over stock are from 2009 and later Mopars. Compare that bay seat to the seats in TequilaSunSet's post further up on this page. Not the same seat. See my 2005 Mopar van's middle SNG seat pictured below.

You might be able to install the older seats and they might work, but you owe it to yourself before beginning this job to test ride them for some distance. I have these seats in my own 2005 Grand Caravan and I've ridden a couple hundred miles in them (wife driving) and I do not find them to be that comfortable. I'm just trying to save you guys some possible disappointment, expense and trouble. If you try the early seats and like them, then by all means proceed.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Yes, unbolt those 6 and separate.

Then you will have 2 nut-serts, and 4 studs. On mine I simply hammered the studs a few times side/side, and then one good wack down and they drove out. Then I installed nut-serts in those locations too. But after installation I found I only needed the forward most one.

bobbyblack wrote:

This picture was captioned something like, "just 6 nuts, took about 10 minutes"

I looked further on the web, and see the whole thing, including frame comes out with 3 bolts each seat, but requires some tool to retain the pivot. I am not at all interested in the frame, so can I just partially close the Stow and Go to the neutral spot and unbolt these 6 locations and remove only the seat?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

a1fa wrote:
just a heads up. small car is now selling seat mounts separately. $89/pop

So the latest from smallcar:

They have the adapters back in stock. They intend to keep them in stock.
They are not selling any more seats direct. Their supplier dried up because:
The 2017 Pacifica (which replaced the T&C) has seats that will fit the tracks but are HORRIBLY uncomfortable. So your options for the best seats are to stick to the 2011-2016 2nd gen seats from the Chrysler T&C.

No more seats from smallcar. I wonder if Sewfine will do upholstery on the Stow & Go? Rolling Eyes

Marshall
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:
The 2017 Pacifica (which replaced the T&C) has seats that will fit the tracks but are HORRIBLY uncomfortable.

I put a pair of the new Pacifica S&G seats in my '75 Bay Bus and they're plenty comfortable in my opinion, and my wife's happier with these than the Saab 900NG seats they've replaced (mostly because of armrests in her case).

Admittedly, I haven't had any extended road trips yet -- the most seat time I've had so far was 45 minutes of stop-and-go commute driving -- because I just got it running last month and smogged yesterday. Rolling Eyes
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

Got a pair of 09' T&C cloth seats on CL for cheap. I didn't want leather because it gets pretty hot here in the summer and leather tend to get hot under the sun.
FYI, my ASI van use a completely different swivel mount than westy van so my adapter mount is different. I also removed the seat slider b/c it was making the seat too tall and i don't need two slider worth of adjustments. Note: It took me a while to figure out how to remove sliders and all the stow n go mounts. Plus watch out for spiders, i found a black widow inside the seat Shocked, i think previous owner store the seats in the garage.

I used 80/20 aluminum extrusion that I have laying around and 1/4" carriage bolts(since it slide inside the extrusion channel) as my adapter mounts.

The T&C seat def feel firmer and slimmer in size compare to my old seats. Can't wait to drive it this weekend.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Swap, (Town & Country 2nd Row) Reply with quote

tosimplify wrote:

Installed these seats yesterday with the adaptor plate method shown above, but adjusted for my bay. Love them

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 30

Jump to: