Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with 1600 motor
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rysill778
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Help with 1600 motor Reply with quote

Hi I have a 1600cc vw motor on a sand rail with irs tranny. I cant get the thing to do a complete fire cycle. I get it rotating and sputtering but once it's about to fire it kicks the started our never actually runs. I tried new plugs and they smell/lool like they are getting fuel. New wires new condesor points coil all that stuff. Im wondering if I missed something stupid. I checked the timing and it was alittle off but fixed and still didnt help the issue. So if anyone has any idea or advice please let me know it would be greatly appreciated. Oh and it has a 009 distributor I dont know if that will help or not thanks.
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1600 motor Reply with quote

Recheck your firing order
johnysnyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1600 motor Reply with quote

+1 on firing order, the 009 is 90 degrees off from the SVDA style, but I don't remember which direction
my build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5953836#5953836
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1600 motor Reply with quote

The 009 distributor has a small notch in the top edge of the aluminum body, under the distributor cap. That is the number 1 cylinder mark. The rotor should be pointing at that notch when the engine is at #1 TDC ready to fire. So that notch is supposed to be at about 4:30 if you're standing straight behind the engine looking at it. The distributor cap terminal directly above that notch is #1. The firing order is 1-4-3-2 counting clockwise. So 7:30 is #4, 10:30 is #3, and #2 at 1:30. If the notch is not at 4:30, the distributor drive shaft may be off a gear tooth or 3. The distributor body may be off and the shaft correct as well.

The HP "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine" book gives a method for setting the shaft in the case during assembly that gets the shaft installed a tooth off. Those who build their engine according to that, will have the distributor rotation off. It won't affect how it runs, as long as you know that the wire positions in the cap and where the body is rotated to will both be different from factory specs.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1600 motor Reply with quote

This graphic is demonstrative on where # 1 cylinder at TDC (actually 7.5° BTDC - compression) should place rotor...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With rotor pointing to #1 tower on dist cap (should also be towards notch in dist body), put a test light from negative (-) side of coil to ground. Set the crank pulleys 7.5° mark on case split line. Turn on key, do not start...Rotate distributor body counter clockwise till light goes off (if on), and then gently back till it just comes on (points start to open). Lock down distributor, you are now static timed at 7.5° BTDC and this is where engine will start....

Also validate firing order...

This tool can be your best friend...

If notch on dist body is not at the 4:30 position its ok, its the rotor, distributor tower (#1), notch in distribuitor body that all have to align....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Rysill778
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 1600 motor Reply with quote

sorry it took me so long to get back. thank you for all the information I will try these and see if it fixes the issue thanks
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 1600 motor Reply with quote

Rysill778 wrote:
sorry it took me so long to get back. thank you for all the information I will try these and see if it fixes the issue thanks

For the 009, at least how min is installed, the #1 plug is the top right plug in the diagram. So rotate the connections 90 counter-clockwise to the illustration.

Also from My personal experience on a similarly "running" 1600. Check and set the valve clearance, if it sat for a while change the points and condenser, new wires were also required to get mint to fire...including the supply wire from the ignition to the coil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: