Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

I generally go to two multi-day music festivals in my Westy every year, and try to do as much camping as I can. I've learned a lot owning my '77 for 4 years now and reading on The Samba for longer yet. But almost every trip I learn something or have a new idea for the next time. Some of my go-to items:

EZ-canopy or a 4-post unit. I'm a shade guy

If it's hot - I hang a 12" fan between the two front seats and aim it at the z-bed. Life saver on summer nights (let alone on "night 3" at a rock festival after 15 20 cocktails)

If it's cold - Buddy heater. Safe, portable, cheap, crack a window just in case

My fav - a cooler stereo I built. Runs all day off a car battery (inside), can drag the tunes wherever we end up sitting.

I have a hundred other tips/items I've learned to bring over the last few years, but I don't want to bore everyone! Anything cool/random that you guys always make sure to bring with?

My 77 in 2015
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures of the stereo?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

I've become a fan of the Ryobi brand 18 volt battery-operated tools.

For camping, they have a lantern that is much easier to use than a traditional one. The biggest thing on a hot summer trip last year was a fan that works off either the batteries or you can plug it in. Lasted 7 hours on a large battery so that was pretty good and just about right.

I also bring along a tire and raft pump, for just in case. I've used the raft (high volume/low pressure) pointed strategically to get a campfire going more quickly.

I haven't needed to try it yet, but I've read about people using the batteries to charge up a flat car battery. Ryobi doesn't make a booster pack to use with the batteries, but the person said he held the jumper cables to the positive and negative sides of the battery and it worked OK.

I got a reciprocating saw for Christmas which would be useful for cutting small to medium pieces of firewood.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

I haven't been out in my bus yet, but I'll have to look into the Milwaukee version of that lantern. I swear these Fuel batteries last forever.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
I haven't been out in my bus yet, but I'll have to look into the Milwaukee version of that lantern. I swear these Fuel batteries last forever.

Milwaukee fuel ftw! Although I think Milwaukee and ryobi are owned by the same company.

I've got too many Milwaukee tools to count. This light is the one I have. It's awesome. It'll light up a room, or an engine bay.

I also picked up their fluid transfer pump recently for work but it would be awesome for taking a shower when camping.

I mostly like to keep it simple when camping or going to festivals. Just the basics usually. Butane stove, 12 volt mobicool cooler, chairs, my bike, shrooms, bluetooth speaker, etc etc.

vwwestyman wrote:
I haven't needed to try it yet, but I've read about people using the batteries to charge up a flat car battery. Ryobi doesn't make a booster pack to use with the batteries, but the person said he held the jumper cables to the positive and negative sides of the battery and it worked OK.

I've tried this. I accidently left my 12 volt cooler plugged into my work truck for too long. When I turned the key it was doing that click click click thing so the battery wasn't completely drained, it just needed some help. I hooked up a ridgid 4.0ah battery with some wire I had. Still not enough juice though. Then I hooked up my Milwaukee 5.0ah battery and it fired right up!

Last edited by rusty busty on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:15 am; edited 2 times in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

Toilet paper.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
kooper271 wrote:

Milwaukee fuel ftw! Although I think Milwaukee and ryobi are owned by the same company.

I've got too many Milwaukee tools to count. This light is the one I have. It's awesome. It'll light up a room, or an engine bay.

Then I hooked up my Milwaukee 5.0ah battery and it fired right up!

Have you seen those milwaukee light towers? They look badass, but way too much for camping.

and yeah, these 5.0ah batteries are awesome. Way to just drop shrooms in your list casually Laughing
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

Beer.
’65 Deluxe Build
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
Do you have any pictures of the stereo?

I upgraded the bus stereo too with a 4ch amp, but it's then I you have to blare that for everyone to hear it... the cooler is much easier. Originally built it for river rafting trips

Fully water proof, full size deep cycle battery, 720w amp, hooked up just like you would a car stereo. It's like 85lbs though Sad
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

Sprink1es wrote:
..It's like 85lbs though Sad

At least you have wheels.

That is awesome!
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

kooper271 wrote:
Have you seen those milwaukee light towers? They look badass, but way too much for camping.

Ya I've seen them. They are a bit much for camping, and a bit much for my wallet. The one I got was $$. Those light towers are $$$$.
For that kind of dough I'll run a cord Wink
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

Lights is a very important subject. OEM interior lights are inadequate. There are multiple threads of ideas and different products, but I ran LED ribbons along both sides of my bus on a dimmer switch. Much better even light than just hanging a lantern.

Outside, the best solution I found is to hang rope lighting along the perimeter of my canopy. LED on a 12v connector, directly off my aux battery. More light then you'll ever need outside! Haha

HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

You know... I really love the Bay Window Forum...The information, technical advice and stories are priceless. However sometimes ya'll just get too technical and miss the obvious. Very Happy
A repost from the Beers and Bays forum:
Fantasy Shocked Cool

Reality Laughing Laughing

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

Jen never camped a day in her life. look at her poor choice of hiking boots, and she did not bring a real beer, she poorly photo shopped one in. She is still invited tho.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

^Jenn looks more like a glamper not a camper.

That 86lbs getto blaster seems alittle excessive, unless you're throwing a rave in the forest.
’65 Deluxe Build
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Jen never camped a day in her life. look at her poor choice of hiking boots, and she did not bring a real beer, she poorly photo shopped one in. She is still invited tho.

See what I mean about getting all technical Smile
1. There's a first time for everything, and as long as your in a Bus.. anywhere is technically "camping" , just say'n Very Happy
2. Hiking Question hiking Question Who said anything about hiking Question She don't need to do any stinking hiking Rolling Eyes
3. I admit, I poorly photo shopped the beer, but that was only to adhere to strict Forum guidelines to qualify for the Beers and Bays forum. Most who viewed the photo there couldn't even find the beer Razz Very Happy
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

Heh heh, no ghetto music in that bad boy. But she's for music festivals only

I thought the beer and the girls were givens. What you do when you get there is where I keep having new ideas Razz
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

My wife!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

Weed, Beer, light, broom and shade.
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: What's your favorite camping item you bring in your bus? Reply with quote

Seriously... I like to travel with a bundle of wood (enough for a campfire) shrink wrapped, to keep dry (like the ones you see for sale outside of convenience stores) tied to my luggage rack. Nice to have if you get somewhere and there is no wood available or it has been raining and everything else is wet. A candle is great for starting fires in most conditions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: