Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

914 has been sitting too long. How do I turn the motor by hand?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: 914 has been sitting too long. How do I turn the motor by hand? Reply with quote

Yeah- my fault. Car needed a new fuel filter and probably the gas tank cleaned, so didn't get it running. For a couple of years I spun it w/the starter once in a while- after recharging the battery. Won't spin at all now- presumably a bit of rust on the cyl walls. I've pulled the plugs, inserted fat drinking straws into thee cylinders, and poured in lots of WD-40 and PB Blaster, etc.
But the flywheel nut that's easily grabbed with a wrench on non-midships Porsche 4's-- and VW air cooled (and waterboxers) can't be reached So I jacked one side of the rear, and tried spinning the jacked wheel by hand-- but no luck. Then took off the jacked wheel and tried a lever between two of the lug studs, but without major fabrication, I can't get much leverage this way either. SO- Anyone got other secrets for breaking the bond between rings and the walls?? Yeah, considering putting an electric heater under one pair of cylinders, adding more Blaster, then the other, but more leverage seems lick the ticket. Thanks for any help!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 has been sitting too long. How do I turn the motor by hand? Reply with quote

What gear did you put it in?
If you jack up one wheel and put it in 3rd or 4th you may do quite a bit better.

That being said.....if it takes this much effort....then its more than just a little rust on the cylinder walls.....and if you have that much crap on the cylinder walls....turning the engine over is just destroying the rings and bore.

Time to tear it down. Getting it broken loose is not going to buff out the damage caused by a rust ridge. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 has been sitting too long. How do I turn the motor by hand? Reply with quote

if its on concrete I'd put it in gear and rock it back and forth in 2nd gear. If it's heavily rusted oh well time to replace the pistons and cylinders.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 has been sitting too long. How do I turn the motor by hand? Reply with quote

Remove the plugs, put in 4th gear and turn rear jacked up wheel backwards, if still no luck make a mix of 50% acetone/atf. That mix will break any rusted parts loose.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 has been sitting too long. How do I turn the motor by hand? Reply with quote

Marvel Mystery Oil is a great penetrating fluid. Fill plug holes and let set couple days.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 914 has been sitting too long. How do I turn the motor by hand? Reply with quote

Always turn backwards after putting any fluid in plug holes to keep from bending a rod as backwards will push excess fluid out the intake valves.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 914 has been sitting too long. How do I turn the motor by hand? Reply with quote

curious.... did you get it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: