Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mr. Okrasa - [email protected] - Joe Ruiz
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: Mr. Okrasa
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: Yesterday
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Mr. Okrasa - [email protected] - Joe Ruiz Reply with quote

Anybody have any dealings with him?

Were they good? were they bad? I have a 36 hp engine that consists of all no parts that needs to be very carefully assembled. I need to know whoever does it is meticulous in theeir detail work. His pics of varoius engines look great but I was hoping for first hand information. Thanks for the help,
peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe is a stand up guy... I've dealt with him in the past and never had a problem. I think he can be slow at times but then again, anyone I can think about that deals with meticulous, vintage work, is slow, me included. Rome wasnt built in a day.
Lance Gregory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not dealt with Joe personally, he did work on my motor through Lenny Copp, but I can say that he did a great job and my engine runs great.
Good Luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you having an Okrassa-based motor built? If you are, Joe may be the one to build it. But if it's just a stock motor, there are quite a few vintage-oriented people you can try. Bob Mohler seems to be a popular choice
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Joe is an artist Reply with quote

Joe is a great guy. Very easy to work with and an absolute perfectionist for details.

He's done quite a bit of work for me and built a 25hp motor for a friend.

In my personal experiences, I've had some small glitches with a carb where the float stuck, I also had a Gernerator that was assembled incorrectly and it shredded a pulley and belt.
The parts looked great but the functionality for a car I wanted to drive suffered.

Case in point - Last time I worked with him, he wasn't starting his engines, they never saw oil before they were shipped and were not test run. In my opinion, you want to test run, tune, adjust, ect.. for a "Turn key" motor.

So, at the end of the day, if you're going for show, great looks, ect.. you can't go wrong. If you're aiming for driveability, make sure that the assembly process is dialed in and the motor has been bench tested before taking posession.

Just my .02$ worth.
aggro_jo
Samba Sticker Pimp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just concluded a deal with Joe and couldn't be happier.

He is obviously on top of his game and I would not hesitate to do business with him in the future.
Eric Outland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Vintage Motor Restoratiopns =( VMR) Reply with quote

Joe Ruiz is Forthwrieth in his bussiness dealings when it comes to Volkswagens or Porsches or anything for the matter. joe's Quality of work is second to none and Joe has spent many hours researching for customers the correct part or excessorie that came or was offered from the vendor on there car.

Mr Ruiz has aided me in several ocasions with always good communications as well as part availability. If Joe doesn't have what you need on hand 99.9 % of the time he will find it for a nomimnal Fee. Joe ruiz is an asset to the VW community and if your in need on any VW Part hard to find or not give Joe call you be glad you did Eric Outland (VMR)=Vintage Motor Restorations Cool
Sumguy
Everett's Parts Holder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completed a couple of transaction's with Joe , a very good guy to deal with and product's as described. On top of that very fast shipping !!
Ascort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a number of Okrasa items and had them shipped to Australia.

The transaction went well and the delays in receiving the goods were not Joe's fault, and he provided assistance in checking on the shipping problems.

In summary, I was very happy with the dealings with Joe and would deal with him again without hesitation.
Offy 220
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: WW dual carb mods Reply with quote

I sent Joe my new WW dual port Solex 36hp carbs for modifications and his Okrasa fuel line. Joe is a great communicator and is very helpful answering questions. His turnaround time is quick, even though the tubing was back ordered he kept me informed on his progress. Joe is highly recommended!
sconord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have waited to write a review to make sure I had a accurate picture.

In Nov, I called and ordered a 36hp long block from Mr Okrasa. Joe advised me that it would be about 8-12 weeks and we agreed.

Middle of Jan, rolls around and Joe had everything ready. He shipped it as promised without any hiccups.

I received the long block in one week. Opened it up and it was beautiful.
Put the entire engine together and drove it. I have about 6000 miles on it now, including a drive from Texas to NJ. This car is my daily driver.

It purrs and I am confident the Joe built me a great engine.

I will and do recommend Mr Okrasa for early engine rebuilds.

Thanks Joe !!!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe just sent me back my 091 case from chromating. Joe was a great guy to deal with, he is methodical. He documented the arrival and departure of the case - it was packed exceptionally well. I requested it be expedited so his plater had some extra cost in there due to my request but other than that the cost was in line with what I expected. Joe kept me informed at every step of the way. The case came out very nice. It is a 1977 091 CP case - so that has more aluminum in it than most of the parts in earlier cases etc he works with, but the color is even and clean - well within the specs for the chromate process used. I'd have no problem using Joe's services again. Thanks Joe.

before but after thorough cleaning
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

after process - very hard color to photograph, and the deepness of the gold depends on lighting.

with camera flash added

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Okrasa - [email protected] - Joe Ruiz Reply with quote

Joe inquired about some parts I had for sale. He knew what he was looking for & paid promptly. Very smooth transaction.
Thanks Joe,
-Evan
Bill Dykes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Okrasa - [email protected] - Joe Ruiz Reply with quote

Joe rebuilt a pair of the WW Okrasa carbs for me. They look really nice. Thanks,Joe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Okrasa - [email protected] - Joe Ruiz Reply with quote

Just sent a couple WW carbs down to get re-bushed and new venturies and jets installed. He advertises a fast turn around. He had the work done and the carbs ready to be shipped back within 24 hrs of receiving them. 2 thumbs up!
vdubjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mr. Okrasa - [email protected] - Joe Ruiz Reply with quote

My carb resto took 6 months, everytime I contacted him it was one excuse or another until I found out the real reason...... Our Trade for NOS parts for this rebuild deal he no longer wanted, when I offered the $800 instead of trade, they were instantly found and ready the next day. Yay me. Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Okrasa - [email protected] - Joe Ruiz Reply with quote

I recently had Joe build a 36hp "stroker" long block using a Wolfsburg West "Okrasa" kit for my '58 Beetle. I asked a lot of questions, some stupid, but he always took the time to answer them. I also had Joe rebuild my new W.W. carbs to Okrasa specs and perform some recommended work to the heads. Joe is very meticulous and provides plenty of pictures during the build. I've never had an engine so clean! The long block is in transit from CA to NC as I write this. The engine will be assembled by my local VW mechanic using a lot of great parts from other Samba vendors (Glenn Ring, Ed Fall, Rick Clark). Joe's build time was reasonable (6-7 weeks) and the transaction was smooth. So far I'm very happy, I will update once we get our hands on it, get it assembled & running. I wouldn't hesitate to work with Joe again. Thanks Joe.

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mr. Okrasa - [email protected] - Joe Ruiz Reply with quote

Joe bought a few different parts from me recently.

Everything went very well.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Okrasa - [email protected] - Joe Ruiz Reply with quote

I bought an engine from Joe back in 2019 and just now finally got around to putting it together for my car. I had some problems with it and reached out to Joe to see if he had any advice for my issue. I thought I would have to end up paying for another motor, but Joe had me ship mine back to him and he solved my problem! I only had to pay for shipping, which saved me probably several thousand dolllars!

I am extremely grateful for all the help and I would recommend him to anyone!! I will not hesitate to buy from him again!
awkward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Okrasa - [email protected] - Joe Ruiz Reply with quote

Just installed my 1400 c.c. Okrasa in my 51 split.
Couldn`t be happier.
Yes, it took a little time and yup, it wasn`t cheap.
But it was worth it.
I really feel it added value to the car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: