Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

Dunno is this was mentioned already or not, but it appears that the National Park Service will offer free admission to all Nat. parks from April 17-25. Just in time for spring camping. Being that big name some parks are now $25 a week, this can save you some moolah.

http://www.nps.gov/npweek/

Side note: For those of us who may grumble about National Park entrance fees in the USA, you better brace yourself when you visit Canada. I went to the Banff/Jasper area a few years back with a week my wife and 1 kiddo, and just about had a heart attack when the smiling ranger at the entrance station, after a few questions, calmly told us, "That'll be $125 for a annual family pass, please." (It's now $136.) WTF!?!? Shocked

The comparable thing in the US, a Golden Eagle pass, cost (I think) $50 at the time. It's not offered anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brent239
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an annual pass its like 80-90 bucks, its all National Parks. But yes Free Weeks are good.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the new national pass covers US Forest Service, BLM, etc. fee areas as well as NPS entrance fees. But no more Golden Eagle, which was NPS only.

The comparable pass in Canada seems to cost $166!

http://www.canadianrockies.net/banff/bnpfees.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: free access to national parks, April 17-25 Reply with quote

The original concept of all federal rec. lands was to level the economic playing field via no fees so everyone could 'afford' to enjoy. Now like in so many other ways we're all equal ..... as long as you can pay.

And those Canadian prices are shocking !!!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: free access to national parks Reply with quote

Bump for this year's National Park weekends coming up in April

lets get some VW campers out and about.,.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/fee-free-parks.htm

Quote:
The National Park Service just turned 100 years old! Celebrate the start of our second century by visiting a park in 2017. During ten days of the year, all National Park Service sites that charge an entrance fee will offer free admission to everyone.

Mark your calendar for these entrance fee–free dates in 2017:
January 16: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
February 20: Presidents' Day
April 15-16 and 22-23: Weekends of National Park Week
https://www.nps.gov/findapark/national-park-week.htm
August 25: National Park Service Birthday
September 30: National Public Lands Day
November 11-12: Veterans Day Weekend
National parks are America’s Best Idea, and there are more than 400 parks available to everyone, every day. The fee-free days provide a great opportunity to visit a new place or an old favorite, especially one of the 120 national parks that normally charge an entrance fee. The others are free all of the time. Plan your visit and enjoy our country’s history and nature.

The fee waiver includes entrance fees, commercial tour fees, and transportation entrance fees. Other fees such as reservation, camping, tours, concession and fees collected by third parties are not included unless stated otherwise.

Fee-free days make parks accessible to more people. However, national parks are always economical, with entrance fees that range from $3 to $30. In addition, any fourth grade student can get a free annual pass through the Every Kid in a Park program, and active duty military and citizens with a permanent disability can also get free passes. For more information about the variety of discounted passes available, please visit the America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass page
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: free access to national parks, April 17-25 Reply with quote

Free weekends are the worse time to go, huge crowds, and the rangers set up speed traps like crazy, while illegally parked RVs on side of road are ignored for ticketing if they are parked in such a way to obscure the speed signs.

Stay home on these free weekend, it aint worth the savings to be stuck with the crowds. It also appears that the rowdy party animals like the free weekends (more beer money I guess) as the camp sites become a giant tail gate party all night long, the rangers are near useless for enforcing past 10 pm noise restrictions, oh and the light the gawd dam bright lights that the party types string in the trees, and mount around their camps, lit up like a night game at the ball park. between the late night noise and lights, screw it, Ill pay for a quiet time in the park, not a fricking animal house party.
Did I mention the party types can even aim properly at the toilet? a frickin mess each morning, poop pee and puke all over the floors, the walls of the stall. wonderful crowd.

stay home, go later.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: free access to national parks, April 17-25 Reply with quote

If you are 62 years old or older and have not purchased your Senior pass you may want to act now. The price is going up from $10 to $80 for the lifetime pass.

http://travel.aarp.org/articles-tips/articles/info...rease.html

Still a great deal but why pay more? Apparently it has not been determined when this will be implemented other than sometime in 2017.

And in case you do not know... in recognition of Canada's 150th birthday they are offering their 2017 National Parks Pass for free.

Yes, free!

Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/gverqlw

You simply put it in the cart and check out. No credit card info is needed, just your address & email.

I got mine in the mail this past week and am ready for when I visit in September.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

Thanks Ahwahnee! I just ordered mine.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. Roosevelt! You were awesome [for creating the National Park system!]

*Moderator edit: Political commentary removed, as were subsequent political posts.

Well, my praise for him may not be unalloyed, but it definitely extends beyond his national parks...
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
Thanks Mr. Roosevelt! You were awesome [for creating the National Park system!]

Well, my praise for him may not be unalloyed, but it definitely extends beyond his national parks...

Well…just to be clear, it was Woodrow Wilson who "created" the National Park Service in 1916.
To be sure, President Teddy Roosevelt was a big advocate of setting aside lands for the nation (using the Antiquities Act of 1906), and Franklin Roosevelt greatly expanded the types of lands covered by the Service.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

I'm with Bluebus. I like National Parks, in the middle of the week in the off season.

Just FYI, they don't all have fees. Great Smoky Mountain NP is free, drive in or out any time. I live about 5 minutes from it and though it is great to ride a bike or drive in or out anytime it makes no sense. Perhaps if they charged there just like everywhere else it wouldn't be such a zoo, but I'm probably dreaming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

I passed through the Grand Canyon last Thursday. There was no crowds and easy parking. but temp were in the upper 20*... during the day.

It was still awesome.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

https://www.nps.gov/aboutus/history.htm

https://www.nps.gov/thrb/learn/historyculture/trandthenpsystem.htm

note that US Nat'l Parks date back to 1870s - before the NPS

TR also is known for protection of public lands as forest preserves ----> USFS

Gifford Pinchot (another prominent Progressive Republican -- now an extinct species) headed up and established the USFS for use of forests; while John Muir was the leading light behind the early parks (Yosemite as a state park, etc.)

if you want a tome on this, "Americans and Their Forests" is the one

there are several books on Muir
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

The PBS series "The National Parks, America's Best Idea" by Ken Burns is extremly informative and very well done. Also very lengthy as it is extremely detailed. A must for anyone who is enthusiastically interested. The John Muir story is indeed inspirational. I watch it free with my Amazon Prime account.

All4Him
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

The NPS evolved through the years but Stephen Mather is the gent who is usually credited with turning it into the great success we enjoy today. A millionaire industrialist who used his wealth and political connections for the public good.
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
I went to the Banff/Jasper area a few years back with a week my wife and 1 kiddo, and just about had a heart attack when the smiling ranger at the entrance station, after a few questions, calmly told us, "That'll be $125 for a annual family pass, please." (It's now $136.) WTF!?!? Shocked

Canada has a one up on the USA this year., doesn't help the U.S. Guys though. Free parks passes for all Canadians to celebrate 150 years of Parks Canada. Laughing
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

We're blessed throughout North America with amazing national parks, forests and wildernesses. Visit them early. Visit them often. And help to keep them in the public realm.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

canasync wrote:
Canada has a one up on the USA this year., doesn't help the U.S. Guys though. Free parks passes for all Canadians to celebrate 150 years of Parks Canada. Laughing

I just ordered my free Canadian Discovery Pass, per Ahwahnee link above, and now we''lll see if it shows up here in Oregon (if that's what you're talking about).
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Free access to National Parks (USA, Canada) Reply with quote

canasync wrote:
Canada has a one up on the USA this year., doesn't help the U.S. Guys though. Free parks passes for all Canadians to celebrate 150 years of Parks Canada.

If you follow the link I noted you'll see it is for everyone, even us xenophobic Americans. I know it's true because I did it and have the pass right here.

I see the pass and cover letter came from the Minister of Environment and Climate Change. I think you might be on to something there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: