Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 30hp 1959 engine
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel hunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

Hello im nee to all this and find myself knowing nothing. I have owned my beetle for just over a year and iv restored the whole thing by myself with a lot of trial and error .

But now i come to the engine . Its completely stock and completely in peices . I want to increase power and apart from a twin carb set i dont know whats possible or how to do it.

Now id like a twin carb but it costs alot . So id like to increase power but not spend crazy amounts of money.

Can i fit bigger cylinders? .use a carb set from later engines ?
Any help on this matter would be amazing.
Daniel hunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

My engine number is 3782903 made between march and june of 1960 . So would that mean its a 36hp and not a 30hp
RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

The 36hp and 30hp engines are the same...just depends on how the power was measured (with or without ancillaries attached?).

I stayed single port but had work done to the heads and have added dual carbs. However it probably would have been more cost effective to have gone for the Wolfsburg West dual port head setup.
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

You may not like my opinion, but 36hp engines and low cost don't fit together, especially increasing the hp.

If keeping the stock appearance isn't a priority, I recommend moving to a 1600cc based engine. A stock 1600 will already double your hp.

36 hp parts simply cost more and options are limited.

Now, if you are okay with spending money...go with Okrasa heads and dual carbs. Of course this leads to a better cam and possibly going with a 69.5mm crank.

Judson and Speedwell supercharger are another option, but can be difficult to find.

Check out www.aircooledresearch.com for some good info
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel hunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I know swaping engine would be the cheapest and best way but given my car has all matching nunbers and documents to prove i know il feel right separating them.

I know its all expensive and wanting to see if there are cheap options or atleast cheaper then 1400 pounds for twin carbs.

I have already oskrasa cam shaft . And want twin carb . .would i be able to change the rockers from standard to 1:25:1? .also what kind of machine work could i do? Deepen the cylinder heads and expand or change the cylinders?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

1400 pounds would include the heads, carbs, linkage, filters, etc. Thats actually a good price.

Only Speedwell makes ratio rockers for 36hp engines, and good luck finding them. Your best bet is to email Ray and see if he responds. I do know he sold a lot of his parts to European Vendors, so you may have a good chance. He made 1.4 and 1.25 kits.

Email: [email protected]

Check the classifieds here, there is at least one member who makes dual carb manifolds for 36hp single port heads. Of course then you have to buy the carbs and find a linkage that will work, but it's definitely an option.

There are options for increasing the cylinder bore, and I recommend searching this forum for those topics. All require case/head machining and some even require machining the cylinder fins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel hunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

Yeah its a good deal im wanting to get the cheaper options first and then get the twin carb later.

Ok see i thought there where more rockers available but il see what i can find and give ray an email.

Iv been searching them for a while . Im going for a 69mm strokr counterweight cam. Will this require the heads to be bored out or for shims to increase the engine width.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

69mm stroke crank...

This will not impact the heads, but sticking with the stock single port heads will restrict your engine.

Yes, the cylinders will have to be shimmed and you will have to buy push rod extensions...from Wolfsburg West

Do a search here for the WW stroker kit...69.5mm crank
Daniel hunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

Thank you and i know the single port arnt great but its only till i get the twin head so it should be fine .

Would you know how much shimming would be required?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

Look here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535086&highlight=ww+stroker

And here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=638246&highlight=ww+stroker
Daniel hunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

thank you for the links.

though them seem to present me with new questions now.

I read an article saying that stock conrods should be replaced with something longer. to a 5.394inch

And also if I was to fit a 69.5mm stroker and then shim the barrels to keep the correct size of the chamber would I not also make the engine wider and cause trouble for fitting the exhaust.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

Daniel:

I can't help with these items, I have no experience with stroker cranks in a 36hp engine.

Hopefully others will chime in. If not, look up Mr. Motorhead or Mr. Okrasa and shoot them a PM or email.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

one word for you: ka-chinggggg!

30PS (36HP) engines aren't mentioned to be tuned excessively, so don't expect 100 hp. You should be able to get to the power level that a 1600 engine already packs in stock configuration Confused

I would save up for a Wolfsburg West dual port kit. Seems like a lot of money, but it will fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 30hp 1959 engine Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Daniel:

I can't help with these items, I have no experience with stroker cranks in a 36hp engine.

Hopefully others will chime in. If not, look up Mr. Motorhead or Mr. Okrasa and shoot them a PM or email.

This would probably be the better option if price was an issue:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1974081

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: