Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No brakes...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: No brakes... Reply with quote

Brake pedal popped and went to the floor, what do I do to fix it?
Thanks in advance
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: No brakes... Reply with quote

Look underneath the car for a puddle of brake fluid.

Correct any leaks and/or repair any leaking parts.

Re-fill the reservoir.

Bleed the master cylinder.

Bleed the brake system.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: No brakes... Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
Brake pedal popped and went to the floor, what do I do to fix it?
Thanks in advance

1) Go find out what broke and tell us. Otherwise we have no idea what you should do to fix it.
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: No brakes... Reply with quote

Ok, finally getting around to troubleshooting, filled reservoir, leak is coming from the master cylinder.
Hard lines aren't leaking, and it looks like the soft ones on top aren't either.
I'll get the wheel off and examine closer when I get time.
It is a big leak though, took all of 30 seconds to empty the reservoir

Last edited by MConstable on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: No brakes... Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
Ok, finally getting around to troubleshooting, where the heck is the master cylinder and reservoir?
I would check my Bentley but it's in Indiana and I'm in South Dakota.
Thanks guys
The master brake cylinder is located behind the left front tire, and behind the firewall behind the rod from the brake pedal. Best way to get to it is to remove the gas tank.

Brake fluid reservoir is located under the dash above the hump that runs down the middle of the vehicle. There should be two, blue, braided hoses coming out of the bottom of the reservoir.
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: No brakes... Reply with quote

Thanks so much, I just edited my previous post.
Leak is at the master cylinder.
thanks for the tip on easiest way to get to it.
It's greatly appreciated.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: No brakes... Reply with quote

ente_kaefer wrote:
MConstable wrote:
Ok, finally getting around to troubleshooting, where the heck is the master cylinder and reservoir?
I would check my Bentley but it's in Indiana and I'm in South Dakota.
Thanks guys
The master brake cylinder is located behind the left front tire, and behind the firewall behind the rod from the brake pedal. Best way to get to it is to remove the gas tank.

Brake fluid reservoir is located under the dash above the hump that runs down the middle of the vehicle. There should be two, blue, braided hoses coming out of the bottom of the reservoir.

You don't need to pull the gas tank to replace the master cylinder.

Jack up the left front of the car and pull the wheel. Remove the hard lines and wiring.

Get inside the car and undo the bolts. DO NOT PULL THEM OUT!!! If you do the spacers between the sheet metal will drop turning the replacement job into a fishing expedition to get them out.

Go to http://www.vw-resource.com/master_cylinder.html#replacement for a detailed description to replace.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: No brakes... Reply with quote

Make sure it is not the front to back hard line it runs right under the brake pedal and always look like the master cylinder is leaking most the time the master cylinder does leak as you have said 99 times out of a 100 it is the brake line under the pedals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: No brakes... Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
Make sure it is not the front to back hard line it runs right under the brake pedal and always look like the master cylinder is leaking most the time the master cylinder does leak as you have said 99 times out of a 100 it is the brake line under the pedals.

Thank you so much, I've never messed with the brakes on any of the air cooled VW's I've owned...and again, my Bentley is in Indiana and I'm in South Dakota.
Which hard line goes to the back wheels?
The two soft lines on top are dry and both hard lines on the side of the master cylinder facing the left front wheel are dry.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: No brakes... Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
Thank you so much, I've never messed with the brakes on any of the air cooled VW's I've owned...and again, my Bentley is in Indiana and I'm in South Dakota.
Which hard line goes to the back wheels?
The two soft lines on top are dry and both hard lines on the side of the master cylinder facing the left front wheel are dry.

Where in South Dakota? I've got both the Bentley, and the car, out in the Black Hills.

BNMike
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: No brakes... Reply with quote

The line goes from the master cylinder to the rear they seem to rust and brake right under the brake pedal that is were all the water gets and it makes a hole in the line
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No brakes... Reply with quote

You guys are awesome as always...thanks!
If it is the master cylinder, which brand is the best replacement?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: