Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T5 seats (or any single seat) into 89 westy w/ middle row rails?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: T5 seats (or any single seat) into 89 westy w/ middle row rails? Reply with quote

I've been searching for a long time for the ultra rare '84-'85 middle captains chair with headrest insert (like Dobryan's) and man...they just do not come up.

So I was looking on ebay and saw some T5 middle benches and swivel captains chairs. I did not look into the complications of shipping the item (all the ones I found are in UK or Europe) but I wondered what it would take to retrofit the seats to the middle rails of a vanagon? Is there another great option that is more readily available?

What I really like about the T5 seats is the built in shoulder strap seatbelt.

Has anyone done something like this? Or made their own center seat? I have a 2 person factory bench w/ headrests, but the space it consumes is ridiculous. As such, trying to figure out a single middle seat that attaches to the rails and has headrests and preferably a shoulder strap.

thoughts?
-dsd

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 seats (or any single seat) into 89 westy w/ middle row rails? Reply with quote

The seat I have is just a regular Vanagon front seat. It is set on the middle seat base, which is the hard part to find.

But there is one in the classifieds right now, you just need the base.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1213838

I have yet to find a way to add a shoulder belt to any type of Vanagon based middle seat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 seats (or any single seat) into 89 westy w/ middle row rails? Reply with quote

Dave - thanks for clarifying that is a front seat mounted on a middle seat base.

There is another bench seat available locally for cheap, I debate if it is easier to grab it and then modify the supports (cut it in half) and use that as a base... or use it for the bottom rails and find a welder that would be able/willing to weld up a base that would accept a chair from a sienna or the such...

I see a sienna chair in CA w/ a fabricated base (not a base for the vanagon) but..something like this would be nice....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232254086311?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 seats (or any single seat) into 89 westy w/ middle row rails? Reply with quote

that one in the classifieds looks suspiciously like a modified middle bench.
but the tilt forward lever isn't in the right side. not that it couldn't be modified.. as it certainly could have also.

and FWIW the middle base is all you need they ship easily.
the middle single base will accept any stock front seat. with headrest.
you won't get a shoulder belt, but you can install a racing 4 or 5 point harness if you want security.

anything else would be custom and pitting your DIY skills vs physics in event of an accident. but hey toyota sienna seats have kickout leg rests Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 seats (or any single seat) into 89 westy w/ middle row rails? Reply with quote

Thanks Dan,
Yeah...I'm aware of the risks of making ones own brackets...which i'm not very keen on doing but figure it can be done safely....

Didn't think about just buying the base and having that shipped...I know there are a couple seats in the classifieds (that have the single base)....hmm

but yeah, wanted to also see if anyone did something outside of the vanagon manufactured options...

danfromsyr wrote:
but the tilt forward lever isn't in the right side. not that it couldn't be modified.. as it certainly could have also.

and FWIW the middle base is all you need they ship easily.
the middle single base will accept any stock front seat. with headrest.
you won't get a shoulder belt, but you can install a racing 4 or 5 point harness if you want security.

anything else would be custom and pitting your DIY skills vs physics in event of an accident. but hey toyota sienna seats have kickout leg rests Wink

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 seats (or any single seat) into 89 westy w/ middle row rails? Reply with quote

Yes that one in the ad is just a cut down 2 person seat. It does seem to have been fairly well done but the seat angle won't adjust, it won't swivel, and the seat can't be removed from the base.

As far as the factory single seat setup I have shipped several bases to people who needed them. I still have a bunch and will probably sell some more when I have time. The seat part is too much trouble to ship IMO.

Mark

danfromsyr wrote:
but the tilt forward lever isn't in the right side. not that it couldn't be modified.. as it certainly could have also.....
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: T5 seats (or any single seat) into 89 westy w/ middle row rails? Reply with quote

PM sent
thanks all!
crazyvwvanman wrote:
Yes that one in the ad is just a cut down 2 person seat. It does seem to have been fairly well done but the seat angle won't adjust, it won't swivel, and the seat can't be removed from the base.

As far as the factory single seat setup I have shipped several bases to people who needed them. I still have a bunch and will probably sell some more when I have time. The seat part is too much trouble to ship IMO.

Mark

danfromsyr wrote:
but the tilt forward lever isn't in the right side. not that it couldn't be modified.. as it certainly could have also.....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: