Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Hey gang,

So we are always working on new ideas and looking for new ideas. We are always looking for feedback and community input. One of the most enjoyable things we get to do at RMW is design new parts. We usually have 4-6 going at once. Some make it to production and others well, don't. So everything you see in this thread may or may not make it to production. I just figured some may want to follow along in the everyday life at Rocky Mountain Westy.

So this thread is mostly intended for product information, cool pictures, fun stuff. It will not discuss price of products or sale related things. That is outside this forums guidelines and we want to make sure we respect the rules. You can always PM me if you need too.

Thanks for all the support and thanks to Everett amd the Samba for being a great place to hang out.

Let's have some fun!
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

One of our most recent products that we have been working on are these Door Pocket/ Speaker mounts. They will offer some extra storage in the drivers cockpit as well as provide a nice closed in box to mount a 5 1/4 speaker. They were a lot of fun to design.They aremade of 20 gauge steel and weigh about 3 lbs a piece. Seems like there is demand for them in gray, brown and black. So the first run of 20 pair are underway. They are gonna be a fun addition to our campers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Great thread! The door pockets look neat but here's what I want:

An über swing-away:
- single swing-away extending the full width of the van;
- holds a spare tire on the driver's side, a secure box (to hold recovery gear, jack, tools, etc.) on the passenger side
- extending behind the tire and box is a foldable rack to hold two bikes in tray mounts, wheels parallel to the ground, not vertical like the GW swing-away
- assorted spots to accommodate a shove and other bits
- quality and price on par with RMW products, i.e. not focused on delivering at a price-point, rather, focused on delivering good gear that won't look like crap one year or less after installation.

Gary Lee is close with this rack, but the latch mechanism and bike rack is not as elegant as it could to be. The rack could extend to the passenger side of the van with a latch installed where the rack mounts are on the passenger side so one doesn't have to duck under the rack to release the latch. The bike rack could be foldable.

For your consideration, FWIW, YMMV. Looking forward to more great gear.

p.s. Your bumpers have exceeded my expectations. Smile

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Nice door pocket. Finally, something strong enough to hold a firearm close at hand, and since its stout, I can modify it a bit with my own lid or other obscuring cover. Great call.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
One of our most recent products that we have been working on are these Door Pocket/ Speaker mounts.

I love these and would like to buy a set when they become available.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Got to say I love my Bumpers and tire carrier as well!

One thing that I would like to have is a tire carrier that has a shorter tire mount and be able to reverse the tire to use the space for storage.
Similar to GoWestys tire storage but one that can also incorporate a Rotopax mount and tank to hold the cover in place.
You wouldn't need the lock if a Rotopax had one for the tank?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Fuzzyip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Something that will utilise the clam shell for those that have moved the spare to the back.

Like a drop down storage, either for stuff or aux batteries.

But it can't just be a single hinge that opens downward. It has to be one of those combo hinges that drop down but also outward for easier access.

I believe it's called a swing down hinge
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Another awesome product by RMW! Any chance you make the door pocket with out the speaker provision?
I'd love to have all that space for stuff and already have my speaker situation sorted.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
Another awesome product by RMW! Any chance you make the door pocket with out the speaker provision?
I'd love to have all that space for stuff and already have my speaker situation sorted.

Yup, It is in the works. The shape will be a touch different but the function will be the same.
[email protected]

mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

The door pocket looks pretty nice. A thought I had was to make the bottom of the main section perforated or slotted. Seems like cup holders and pockets always get a lot of debris in them. I'd as soon most of it hit the floor or ground.
When will these be up on your site?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy is excited to be releasing the new door pocket speaker mount. It is not on the website yet. I wanted to offer the first 20 sets to our community members first. In order to purchase please send me an email or message. Please indicate which color you would like. Black, Brown, or gray. The brown and gray are intended to match the darker colors of the Westfalia trim on the camper cabinets, Not the lighter panel colors. Here is the description that will be loaded on to the website. PM me for price if your interested.

Whether you have owned your Vanagon for a day or a lifetime, You are well aware that the cockpit area is lacking storage. I don't want to pick on our beloved Vanagon's but VW didn't put much thought into stereo speakers either. There really isn't a good space or means of upgrading the stock speakers. So by now you are wondering what these two deficiencies have in common? Well the only thing they have in common is the solution. Rocky Mountain Westy has designed and manufactured these amazing door pockets. Let's talk about storage first. The storage compartment is divided into two separate sections. Both offer there own advantages to store a wide variety of items with the front one being shallow and the rear of the pocket is deeper for books, tablets or whatever you decide works best. Ok now how does it improve the stereo? Again Speaker options being so limited. We had a speaker mount in the plan from the initial project inception. The door pocket integrates a 5 1/4" speaker very nice and cleanly. It also provides a nice enclosure to help The acoustics of the speaker.

Ok, so maybe some of you already put this in your cart from the pictures. Others read the value points of above and decided to buy. However I know the Vanagon world all to well. Some of you won't buy until I give you all the technical jargon. I am grateful for all the engineer type enthusiasts in our community. It keeps us vendors on our toes to make sure we are producing well thought out, quality products.

So if you fit into this category here is some of the info in a bullet point list without all the fluffy stuff

- Manufactured using laser cut 20 gauge mild steel.
- Formed in a CNC press brake for consistent shape and bend quality. Includes all exposed edges hemmed over for nice smooth edges and transitions.
- Spot welded together to avoid sharp weld edges or grinder marks. This process provides a sturdy lightweight box structure that will not fatigue or fail from age or use.
- Powder coated to provide a durable long lasting finish
- Bubble wrapped and boxed properly to insure a safe trip to your doorstep.
- Detailed installation instructions with pictures and guide points to make an easy and accurate installation.
- This pocket will require the removal of the factory map pocket on the driver door. Our Pocket does not cover all of the factory mounting holes for the original pocket. We include small black trim clips to insert into those holes to fill them and make it look tidy.
- The passenger side pocket is designed for the glove box to open completely with zero interference.
- Mounts to the door using existing holes in the door. Requires drilling 4 small 1/8" holes in the door panel. The pocket firmly attaches to door panel and then attaches through to metal door shell in two locations once the panel is installed. This intended to be a Home based DIY project.
- There are no provisions for speaker mounting. You will be required to drill mounting holes to fit speakers. This decision was made due to the many variations in stereo speakers.
- Each speaker pocket weighs 3.5 lbs
- The coolness factor pins the gauge and the actual numeric value is still be figured our by mathematicians at MIT.
- Significant others, If you are looking for a van present and don't know what to get, this one will not disappoint.
[email protected]

turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Shut up and take my $$ Laughing
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Not to inundate you too much with ideas/requests..but:

I really wish you would bring back some kind of BUMPER mounted swing away system to go with your twin peaks bumper. Can't use your body mounted ones because of little dents in the corners, and would rather not drill holes in the body. If you had a bumper mount swing away, I'd be buying the whole shabang (bumpers and swing-aways) today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
Not to inundate you too much with ideas/requests..but:

I really wish you would bring back some kind of BUMPER mounted swing away system to go with your twin peaks bumper. Can't use your body mounted ones because of little dents in the corners, and would rather not drill holes in the body. If you had a bumper mount swing away, I'd be buying the whole shabang (bumpers and swing-aways) today.

Definitely noted.
[email protected]

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

On the door pocket, I see you took the purist's approach and stuck with the Vanagon strict "no cup-holders" rule. Wink
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
On the door pocket, I see you took the purist's approach and stuck with the Vanagon strict "no cup-holders" rule. Wink
-d

We tried the cup holder thing. The challenge is these days nobody drinks Soda out of a can. There are so many variables in the containers that people use for liquids. I myself am a Nalgene water guy. Buy the time you made enough room for a Nalgene it was fairly intrusive to your leg when driving down the road. The other challenge with the pocket being much wider than it is getting in and out of the vehicle. We have all been parked in a little tight in a parking spot. It is hard to get in and out of the front doors in this case when the door swing is limited. A wider pocket would have reduced that even further. Trust me when I tell you we had a lot of time into these we built 6 different versions before we got to this. I acknowledge that it will not be for everyone but we tried to accommodate as many people as we could.

Thanks so much for the interest and the support.

Mike
[email protected]

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Totally teasing Mike. All those reasons make perfect sense. I just spent 3 hours last night going up I-70 and back in the dark and was wishing for a more "line of sight" cup placement. Feeling around for the middle console holes sucks.
I've also splashed myself with forgotten cups in door holders, that's no fun.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
Honuak wrote:

Yup, It is in the works. The shape will be a touch different but the function will be the same.

Like!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

Very nice work on those map pockets Mike. I have a feeling I'll be ordering some at some point. Another thing that I believe might do well is a bumper that looks fairly close to the stock chromies, but of thicker material with metal end caps. Changing the shape a little so they are easier to stand on would be a plus as well. You build the toughest bumpers already, but not all vans need to be hung up by cranes from the bumper Wink
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The official Rocky Mountain Westy product thread, new and old Reply with quote

I plan to install puddle lights in mine if possible Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: