Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving with epoxy primer only
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

I'm looking for some advice on the cons of driving my bug for a few months painted only in epoxy primer. The body will be blasted and epoxy primed then seam sealed. I was hoping maybe I could get away with using it like this for a few months. It'll be garaged when not in use any won't be driven in rain or wet roads.

What are the consequences of this when it comes to painting? Would a good degreasing and scuff be OK to paint on, or will the new paint job suffer?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

Nope.

Primer is porous. You will get dirt, dxhaust, oils etc in it....and have spotty adhesion. If you have to keep it from rusting....use the weakest easiest to remove primer you can and plan to strip it chemically when the time comes to paint. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

I believe that Primer/Sealer is meant to take care of the sort comings of regular primer. I have heard of shops using it on a car that is not going to get painted right away.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
I believe that Primer/Sealer is meant to take care of the sort comings of regular primer. I have heard of shops using it on a car that is not going to get painted right away.

Oh for sure...but not to drive it.

Epoxy...all epoxy regardless of what industry or use... is NOTORIOUSLY poor in UV exposure. Also...if its a primer...regardless if its a primer/sealer combo...has high surface tooth and some porosity.

Getting it out in the sun, rain and pollution and riving it around will be a potential disaster when you paint it because you can NEVER get it clean enough.

I fully understand the issues with time versus funding and the need to drive a car. If its your only car especially. In that case.....paint with cheap primer...do not waste your money on expensive epoxy sealer.....and just preserve and cover the metal until you can get back to it. Then strip the cheap primer and do it right.
If its not your only car....and you just do not have the self control to not drive it....then for sure you neeed to keep cheap primer on it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

I've had a rethink and I've decided to hold off on the blasting and epoxy primer until I'm ready for full paintjob. In the meantime I'll get it all in one colour with primer and enjoy driving it until next winter.

Thanks for the advice.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

A Urethane sealer would not be effected by UV as much and has more resin than a primer alone. If you use zinc underneath, the zinc will do the rusting and not the metal. http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/fleet-refinishin...d-a-sealer I would use an actual 'Sealer' and not a reduced 'Primer'. Maybe a Self Etching Primer first (has zinc and phosphoric acid) and then cover it with Sealer. I have been using Zinc ,Self Etching Primer followed by Sealer.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
A Urethane sealer would not be effected by UV as much and has more resin than a primer alone. If you use zinc underneath, the zinc will do the rusting and not the metal. http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/fleet-refinishin...d-a-sealer I would use an actual 'Sealer' and not a reduced 'Primer'. Maybe a Self Etching Primer first (has zinc and phosphoric acid) and then cover it with Sealer. I have been using Zinc ,Self Etching Primer followed by Sealer.

Thats a good idea. The real issues with bare primer alone is the microscopic open surface...tooth... that it has.

If you can get something onto it with a gloss...and a urethane will be far better out in the sun....partly because its urethane and partly because it has higher gloss. Higher gloss coatings generally have a fairly well sealed surface. Less chance of absorbing oils and grease.

Ray
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

If I'm doing a spot repair or welding in a patch ,I have to use some sort of putty (usually a two part glazing putty) so I'm not relying on primer to fill anything. A few professionals recommended Sealer as imperative to stopping rust so I have been using Duplicolor sold at walmart before some sort of a base. It basically resembles a semi gloss white paint, is smooth and hard unlike a primer. It seems thin but does not have a tendency to run. Confused
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

Masterseries is moisture cured urethane, that can brusehed or sprayed. It is pigmented with aluminum flake and is UV resistant.

It can be applied directly to prepped metal and with two coats and the surface is sealed.

I've been using it on my car, the areas i've used it seem perfectly happy in all weather living outside.

http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/products/ag111/
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

vwkirb wrote:
Masterseries is moisture cured urethane, that can brusehed or sprayed. It is pigmented with aluminum flake and is UV resistant.

It can be applied directly to prepped metal and with two coats and the surface is sealed.

I've been using it on my car, the areas i've used it seem perfectly happy in all weather living outside.

http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/products/ag111/

Absolutely awesome stuff....but thats not a primer....which is what he was asking about.

He is having a lot of body work done now.....and wants to cover it with primer and drive it around until he paints in monyhs later.

If you painted the car with that product.....you will not easily get it off later when its time to paint....and its NOT a primer.
Ray
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

Hate to disagree about the MasterSeries. Ive used it for 25 plus years as a primer. And so do a lot of body shops. I do a complete VW body with the stuff and off to the paint shop it goes. They scuff it up , do their filler work , put their primer over it and then topcoat. We have found that any paint can go over it as a topcoat. It is an excellent primer. Can be sanded quite nicely. Now if someone doesn't want to do the scuffing, we tell them to apply a dusting of their primer when the 2nd coat is almost dry and the two will bind together nicely. Then the next day a heavier coat of their primer.
And you would not want to take it off. It has over 40% aluminum flake in it and totally different than the other paint over rust paints. I have samples that have been outside over 15 years with 3 coats of the MS silver primer/sealer with no issues. Not pushing the product but just making some info available on the material.

Chuck P MasterSeriesCT.com
estilholliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

no one mentioned how awesome its gonna look being primer. especially if its the light grey stuff and only on a few spots of the car.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Primer is porous. You will get dirt, dxhaust, oils etc in it....and have spotty adhesion.

Two pack epoxy is not porous
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

Spray a thin coat of mek primer over it to keep the sun from damaging. Mek can be easily sanded off before more.body work.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Driving with epoxy primer only Reply with quote

You're not going to have a problem with an epoxy primer. When it comes time to paint, scuff it and use wax remover/de-greaser.

If the bodywork is already done, shoot a couple coats of poly-primer over the epoxy then block it once it's gassed out.

Epoxy is tough stuff and non-porous.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: