Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

I am looking for a picture of where the three pieces of tin go which protect the push rods. I bought a new set but have no idea which side the three different pieces go or how they attach to other things. Anyone know of some good pictures of this?

I am sure they are on here some where. I looked around a bit but didn't find the pictures I wanted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

What the sled tins are you asking where the sled tins go? Or does your engine have heater boxes and your just asking about the bottom tins?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

I do have heater boxes.

I need to know how to install the tins. In your picture is that three pieces? I assume one side is made of two pieces (the curved and flat one)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

Ok your probably have this, So with that hoist you make, rase the engine up and put them on last. Yes 3 tins one side gets two. the photo in the previous post shows additional tins often referred to as sled tins that fasten below the heads for protection on off road bugs.

Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

Ok I'll bite. Those side tins are nice. Did you drill through the head and then put a stud with loctite? O ring on other side? Drill partly and put a very small stud on the two circular caating bosses?

-Frank
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

Look's like that photo I found in the samba gallery is confusing things, Not the OP's engine. But "kawfee" here is that thread from the second photo I posted above if it shows what you need to see.
Oil Cooler Tin?
"Frank" Here is a thread with that first photo: Engine Cooling and Cabin Heating System Tutorial. And here is the thread on how they did that: how to box in sled tin, looks like they drilled and tapped the head for 6mm studs at those little bosses.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

Danwvw,

The latest picture does help answer my question. Those are the tins I have. Now I just have to figure out their arrangement and figure out which side goes forward, etc. I think I figured out one side. It's the two pieces that stumped me.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

Yeah, I think they made the thermostat side two pieces so it was easy to change the thermostat. The the smaller piece just screws to the other piece and to the heat exchanger and to the case right?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

That's really good information.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

Here's bottom view of the 1600cc engine I just rebuilt, showing the bottom sleds. Yes, I made the small "tin"; correct that one was made separate for access to the thermostat. These are not only to protect the push rod tubes, they are there to direct the cooling air to where it should go.

Yes, I'd usually keep the sleds attached to the heater boxes, you might need to loosen or remove heater boxes at the front to fit them.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

Cusser,

Very nice. As I thought I had mine on backwards. It was logical that the tin would go a certain way due to air flow under the car.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

And there's two small rear air deflectors too, go under the front crankshaft pulley tin and the upper cylinder covers, can see them in this photo if you keep your eyes away from the girls' pictures.

The sled tins are also visible in this photo.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

I am not certain what you are referring to. Why do the girls have clothes on? Also, is that an electronic distributor?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

Cusser is referring to the little tins under the #2 and #4 exhaust ports in the image above. They attach to the cylinder head tins. They are the ones with the little holes in um, if you enlarge the pic you can see them better.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I am not certain what you are referring to. Why do the girls have clothes on?

Most of the gals do not have any clothes, it gets awfully hot here.

Mrs. Cusser would "refer" that those pictures not be posted in the garage (especially the few ones of her), but does understand that I'm in the garage 100 times more than she is.

kawfee wrote:
Also, is that an electronic distributor?

Nope - that's a German 009 with points, from about 1980, in the pictured rebuilt 1600 engine. Same distributor but from 1976 in my 1835cc engine.

Big difference in German 009 v. Brazilian 009 v. Chinese 009.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
[
Cusser is referring to the little tins under the #2 and #4 exhaust ports in the image above. They attach to the cylinder head tins. They are the ones with the little holes in um, if you enlarge the pic you can see them better.

Good Luck.

I don't have those. I do not believe I have ever seen them before. Should I get them?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

I've got a German 009 that someone removed the guts from and made electronic. I switched over my cars to the pertronix electronic. It's done well so far.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
[

Good Luck.

I don't have those. I do not believe I have ever seen them before. Should I get them?

Yes kawfee, you should get them. They are part of the engine cooling system. They direct the cooling air from the FS around the heads. Also if you have the stock air cleaner, this is the location where your intake gets it's warm air from to help prevent your intake manifold from icing up while driving your car.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Here's bottom view of the 1600cc engine I just rebuilt, showing the bottom sleds. Yes, I made the small "tin"; correct that one was made separate for access to the thermostat. These are not only to protect the push rod tubes, they are there to direct the cooling air to where it should go.

Yes, I'd usually keep the sleds attached to the heater boxes, you might need to loosen or remove heater boxes at the front to fit them.

Keeping the Patina is unique for a rebuilt motor.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Under Engine Tin- 3 Piece - How to install? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Keeping the Patina is unique for a rebuilt motor.

You betcha !!! That was by design, that stuff on the sled tins, heat exchangers, and valve covers was like impossible to remove !!! I soaked them several days in diesel too, didn't help at all. I did clean and paint the upper stuff though.

Remember: this engine dropped an oil stud in 2003, and Mrs. Cusser saw the red light come on and the oil pressure gauge drop to zero, was night, she said she was scared (our oldest was with her), she kept on driving, made it 3 miles before it stalled out. Not a drop of oil left, found bearing slivers on the oil screen. We kept driving it for 3 years after that, no knocking. Finally, last fall I disassembled that engine, found #2 main bearing to be heavily damaged.

Yes, the engine outside was caked with hardened sludge I can't remove, so underside tins and heat exchangers, and valve covers are remaining as they were !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: