Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Since it looks like vendors are now allowed having threads I though that I would share some information about a little venture that I am starting up.

Back in 2011 I started the following thread about a set of bumpers I had designed: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606048&view=next

After many requests from Samba members my fabricator at the time decided that he would be willing to make some more bumpers to sell. Unfortunately he was only able to get a few more done before he got swamped with a promotion at his full time job and with new twins in his family life.

Now, just over five years and I have moved to a property with a nice heated insulated shop, become friends with two very talented fabricators and have gotten into metal fab and welding myself. Due to the continued requests for my bumpers over the last few years I will be producing a run of bumpers first but will also be offering other expedition/overland/off-road targeted products. I do not yet have a company name or website but will be getting something up fairly soon.

The big goal of anything I design is simplicity and functionality, though I do try to make it look good too. If you have read my last bumper topic then you already know that when I designed my bumpers it was because I wanted something less bulky and flimsy than the other offerings at the time. Since 2011 there have been a fair number of new bumpers that have hit the market and some members have even done a great job making their own versions of what I had proposed.

The following is a list of requirements for the bumper design with some amendments:

1. Must maintain the factory approach and departure angles without removal of the crumple(crush) zone.

2. Must have D rings or Shackle mounts for towing. (though I may make this optional)

3. It should be winch compatible.

4. It should be skid plate compatible. For custom skid plates.

5. The bottom lips front and rear should be angled to prevent digging in while off road. Perhaps the corners too(as was the case on the1.0)

6. The rear bumper must have a high clearance 2" receiver.(Though I am experimenting with a lower clearance design that allows the use of a horizontal pin since the last design required a vertical pin)

Below are some pictures of Version 1.0 and 2.0. I know it is hard to please everyone when developing a product but I would appreciate your feedback.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was an unintentional strength test of my rear bumper a week ago. I was having some fun in the back yard and while driving over a snowy pile of logs the van slipped back and to the right. Even in person from a couple of feet away it looked like the tree had hit the back hatch, thankfully when I looked up close there was about 1/8" between the tree and back hatch. I was very thankful that I have a beefy bumper.

Below are two pictures of the latest receiver design. Let me know what you think. Personally I like the flush mounted receiver like you can see pictured on my front bumper pic above, this requires a vertical hitch pin which means drilling whatever you insert into the receiver. The new design allows you to use the receiver in the normal configuration but does encroach slightly into the departure angle.

Last edited by canasync on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Finally steel bumpers that don't look like slabs of beef stapled to slabs of plywood.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

I forgot to mention in the first post that the ones pictured are 3/16" steel plate but due to peoples weight concerns I will be offering these in 1/8" steel.

My personal rear 3/16" bumper with receiver, shackle mounts, shackles, body mounts and some extra gussets weighs in at 57.5lbs., the stock rear with end caps and mounts was 30lbs. On the back that's only a difference of about 28lbs. On the front the stock bumper is about 23lbs(23.5lbs if I recall) and my bumper replacement would be lighter than the rear as there are no body mounts or reciever (unless requested). I estimate that my front bumper would weigh about 24lbs more than stock. The 1/8" should be roughly 1/3 less than the 3/16" so it will be a minimal weight gain but whole lot stronger.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Love the design!

Will you have D-Ring Shackles for the rear bumper as well?
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Love the design!

Will you have D-Ring Shackles for the rear bumper as well?

I will have to take some better pictures of the rear tomorrow. Most of mine are from the front but yes, the rear does have D-Ring Shackle mounts as well. The following is a picture from before I welded in the 2" receiver which is why there is an empty cutout.

Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift

Custom Lift
dplumtree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

look nice to me. i would be interested for sure.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Finally steel bumpers that don't look like slabs of beef stapled to slabs of plywood.

Agreed! I admire the strength and ingenuity of some other offerings, though I just can't see adding big bulky bumpers to my 2wd Westfalia. These have great lines that don't appear obtrusive.

I'm following with great interest.
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

The first post was long enough so here is a follow up to answer some of the questions that I have received.

-The rear mount does utilize the third bolt hole in the frame.

-The sides that wrap around the van will have enough space to allow for small variances such as the thickness of bedliners but still keep a lower profile than some of the other models offered.

-I have had people request everything from powder coat to match their vans, to bedliner, to a simple easy to touch up satin black spray paint, therefore I am leaning towards selling them as either raw steel or with a coat of primer(perhaps galvanized primer?). I may offer Monstaliner as an option but am not certain about that yet.

-The default bumpers will be offered with D-ring mounts only. Optional add-ons will include the receiver, and flush mount backup lights for the rear. I may also offer light mounts and a front brush guard but have not had time to work on those yet.

Other items we are working on:
-Rock Sliders
-Swing Away Carriers
-Light Mounts
-Other Expedition Gear (to be announced)
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift

Custom Lift
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Very nice work!
Innovation like this is not easy nor cheap.
Please keep us posted of your progress.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

canasync wrote:

-Rock Sliders
-Swing Away Carriers
-Light Mounts

Any chance of doing a swing away that bolts to the bumper rather than to the body?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
canasync wrote:

-Rock Sliders
-Swing Away Carriers
-Light Mounts

Any chance of doing a swing away that bolts to the bumper rather than to the body?

That is exactly what I am working on.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift

Custom Lift
Ben Root
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

When you're ready to post some ideas on prices and add-ons options I'm very interested.

Also, where are you located (I'm assuming that shipping could get costly).

I won't bore the list with my personal preferences for options.
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Update

Thanks to a high level of interest I have quite my full time job and decided to take on this business full time. I am just going through the process of incorporating the business and as soon as I get the okay from my lawyer in a week or so I'll be open for business.

I am trying to get the website up within the next week but it's a little slow going as it's my first e-commerce site and I'm trying to build it myself.

I have been able to lower my production costs over the last month so I will be able to fit in with the current market offerings. The bumpers will be released first, followed by either the bumper mounted racks or rock sliders though I am leaning towards the racks as I already have a number of interested parties.

Later this year I hope to release one of the biggest accessories any Vanagon owner can add to their Van, it is in the development stages and will take travelling comfort to new heights... but that's all I can say about that Laughing

Lastly, I do plan to offer some camping accessories as well but those will be added gradually as things progress.

For anyone interested in bumpers please send me your email address.

Best Regards,
Peter
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift

Custom Lift
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Make it simple for you.
Send them out naked and let the buyer finish the cosmetics!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

I'd say offer them bare and with one type of coating, whether powder coat, Monstaliner, or well applied black paint.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Nice work, Peter. Finally, bumpers that seem to check all my boxes as well, unlike most other offerings out there. I look forward to your progress.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

canasync wrote:

-Rock Sliders
-Swing Away Carriers
-Light Mounts

Swing-away tire carriers that require no body attachment could be a big hit, IMO, especially for the Doka/Sinka owners who're running larger wheels/tires (won't store in factory location) and want to keep their entire bed usable....

1986 Doka Transporter, 14" Syncro w/dual lockers -- 60,000km Swedish firetruck...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682322

30+ VWs before them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Macwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

I am in the market for bumpers now. Really like the look of yours. Any new info?

Scott
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Macwesty wrote:
I am in the market for bumpers now. Really like the look of yours. Any new info?

Scott

If you could send me your email address I'll add you to my mailing list. The first run will be done in the next couple of weeks. An email with more info and pricing will go out in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Peter
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift

Custom Lift
Rharada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper Build 2.0 and other Expedition Accessories from Canada Reply with quote

Is anyone still making these?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: