Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Styroman's Trike Project
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

I bought this a couple years ago. It was complete, but not running correctly. The engine is a custom build; a 1600cc dual relief case, 1300cc cylinders, and 1200cc pre '65 heads. Everyone says that can't be, but here it is.

The bike builder was a motorcycle and side-car builder, who built this to complete his bucket list, touring America on an economic machine, stingy on gas. Hence, the weird engine build. He passed before he could complete the list. The engine builder ended up with it. He was a career VW bug mechanic all his life, and I bought it from him because he was aging out as well.

It fits perfectly in a standard pick-up bed, and that's how I brought it home.

Could not get the engine to run properly, so I removed it and began tearing it down. Turns out is was the crush rings between the intake manifold and heads.

It has sat in this condition because I have not had the time or energy to get back to it; but I have re-caught the 'Bug", pardon my pun, and I am back to it.

I took off a drag handle bar set because it required me to bend forward to drive it, and bought a beach bar for it. This required me to lengthen the front brake line and the electrical harness to the Harley controls and switches on the pulled-back handle bars. Can-of-worms. Tearing into the wiring, which was neatly installed because the guy was a good mechanic, I discovered he knew nothing of automotive electrical circuits. No power relays for lights, horn, and starter circuits. He wired the 18ga. Harley control wires to directly power the high current circuits.

I have ordered a relay/fuse block ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FWILL20/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) for it, and plan to do a complete rewire. This was the closest thing to a complete setup I could find without going for a $500 Painless harness that would have been overkill. I think all I will need to add to this is a flasher.

I am about to remount the engine, and somehow my clutch plate has disappeared, so I need a new one. Does anyone have a recommendation for a soft/gentle clutch plate for what I guess to be 36hp or less?

Here's some pics. I would love to talk about my trike, if you have any thing to offer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by styroman on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

The engine:

styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

The Frame:

styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

The Electrical:

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

Very cool project and I look forward to seeing it rolling down the road
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

this should be pretty cool when its done. Just FYI, the oil deflector plate on your engine is on wrong...

jaxdream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

You have what appears to be an IRS transaxle ( cv joints ) that would put it in the at least 70+ model years . Hopefully it is a 12volt flywheel , is the pressure plate 3 fingered or multiple fingered ?? A later model four spring disc , stock ,for the year range of the transaxle is what you need . Should not be real expensive . I noticed your hand brake can only deployed when you get off , maybe your state law required a mechanical brake , hopefully it works . Not a lot needs to be done by what you have shown , other sorting the engine out . Good luck , and keep on keepin on !!

Jack
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

jaxdream wrote:
You have what appears to be an IRS transaxle ( cv joints ) that would put it in the at least 70+ model years . Hopefully it is a 12volt flywheel , is the pressure plate 3 fingered or multiple fingered ?? A later model four spring disc , stock ,for the year range of the transaxle is what you need . Should not be real expensive . I noticed your hand brake can only deployed when you get off , maybe your state law required a mechanical brake , hopefully it works . Not a lot needs to be done by what you have shown , other sorting the engine out . Good luck , and keep on keepin on !!

I discovered yesterday that it is the later model.

I am able to use the handbrake while seated; but it requires two-hands, reaching around either side of the fuel tank, to set it well.

I plan to put dual carbs on the engine in a rather unorthodox manner, but I will save that for a later presentation.

Thanks for the clutch confirmation.

Terry
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

I have decided to replace the brake and clutch hydraulics entirely, with up to date hoses, cylinders, and fittings. I am using stainless steel coated hoses, to match the front wheel hose, with Harley type fittings; and am replacing the master cylinders with newer Wilwood cylinders. They bolt in the same place.

The bike has galvanized clevises connecting the pedal to the cylinder push-rods now, so I am looking for stainless steel clevises.

I have removed the firstaid kit fuse box from the streetside compartment of the trike, and have rerouted the wiring over to the curbside compartment, where I have removed the battery from its tray so that I can locate the new relay/fuse box onto the battery tray. This should make for a cleaner electrical system redo. The battery is moving forward, where it is going to sit on a floor (yet to be devised) between the pedals. This will put some more weight forward, as these shorter trikes have tendency to lift the front end when accelerating.
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

By the way; this is not all that I am doing to the trike. I am also adapting dual motorcycle carbs to its engine, using straightforward motorcycle throttle cables to operate them from a single throttle grip on the handlebars.

So, just in case you didn't see this in the Vintage Speed forum, here is the link: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667193

styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

A little more progress each day: I got the Harley controls mounted on the beach bar, but am not going to tighten them down until I am sure I have everything wired and working:

I have purchased and am beginning to install all stainless hardware and new brake line components to go with the new Wilwood cylinders:

It is now my plan to build a removable, oak planked decking to lay on the lower frame rails. I will put a few oak cross frames on top of the frame rails, extending outside the frame rails about an inch, and attach them beneath with 1.5" tubing clamps; then attach black stained and flat varnished deck planks on top of those, spaced about a half-inch apart and running parallel to the frame rails. From the hydraulic cylinders forward, I plan to build a raised oak deck to match, for the battery box to sit on. This will put another fifty pounds forward, to aid handling stability.

Okay, I am on a roll here: I also plan to build removable stake sides for the rear deck too:

DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

Cool scooter.
I am working on a rebuild/rechop of my trike also.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
Cool scooter.
I am working on a rebuild/rechop of my trike also.
I saw that. Very nice! Thanks!

It is interesting to watch and learn from your enterprise.
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

I have been working on the trike off and on between working on my buggy and keeping up with winter projects on the property. With lots of parts on order, I have not been able to complete very much.

Today, while sitting on the trike, I felt like I had overdone it with the beach bar and 3" pullback risers. Though I can sit up nicely, even lean back some with the arrangement, I felt like it didn't allow me to lean forward as I might need to do on a road trip. So I looked at putting the drag bar back on, thinking it might work with the 3" pullback risers; but they were just two narrow and too far forward.

So my solution is to turn the 3" pullback risers around forward to try the beach bar now 6'' forward of where they were; and, Voila!, I think its perfect.

I have begun hooking up the hydraulics as well; and am still engineering and re-engineering the bazillion other things that need to be done. Feel good about it all.

Drag bar:
Beach bar with risers turned forward:

Hydraulic clutch:

I am thinking my selection of 3/4" master cylinders for the clutch and rear brakes might be too large. What do you think?
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

I like this most about my trike:
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

Dual carburetors are mounted: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=20

styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

I have been thinking about how to make up throttle cables for my trike project. Dual slide carbs require motorcycle type throttle cables, and having two carbs means joining the two throttle cables into one cable for the Harley style hand grip. Here is what I have been doing.

This project is complicated by the fact I was hit head-on on Halloween night, suffering a moderate concussion from which I may never fully recover due to my age.

So I need to clip the barrel ends off the two throttle cables running from the carbs, and replace them with 'nipple' ends for use in the cable splitter. For this, I opted to use a solder pot instead of applying direct flame to the cable and risk making them brittle. Not having a solder pot, I improvised:

Crucible:

Plumbing solder:

Two minutes later the solder is melted:

Nipple end on left; barrel end on right; installing a nipple end on the bare cable from the carbs:

1/8" soft brass hobby tubing, cut 3/16" long with 'imp' cutter:

After determining the exact length you need the cable to be, cut it to that length, wash the cable end and cut piece of tubing with a no-residue spray (electrical parts or MAF sensor) cleaner, and slide the cut piece of brass tubing over the end of the cable:

Slide the cut piece back from the end, then, while pinching the end of the cable tightly, about an 1/8" from the end, fray the wires enough that when the cut brass is slid back to the end it will hold itself there. It is probably best to leave a little cable hanging out the end, maybe 1/32". This fraying also gives the solder a better grip on the cable.

After sliding the cut brass piece back in place, dip the cable end into plumber's solder flux, then into the solder pot just enough to entirely cover the cut brass; and hold it there for about 15 seconds. Pull it out and let it cool:

Then clean the new nipple up with a smooth file, being careful not to nick the cable:

Here is the first carb cable nipple, in place, in the cable splitter slide:

Here is the throttle cable splitter, closed up, with one throttle cable installed . . . two to go. I had to disconnect the throttle cable from the carb in order to get enough cable out of the housing to put the cable into the slide.

Before doing any of this, I had installed the cable in the carb, and, while in the closed position, carefully measured how much cable I would need sticking out of the housing on the splitter end, so that the nipple would be seated in the slide while it is in the throttle off position within the splitter. Important. I also closed the cable housing adjuster on the carb end so that I would have plenty housing length adjustment to facilitate balancing the carbs, and so that the slide will not top out in the splitter before full throttle is reached. On the other hand, you do not want to cut the cable too short that when it is all put together it won't relax the carbs to the throttle off position.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Styroman's Trike Project Reply with quote

I am loving what you are doing with the carbs! Back in the 70's there was a company advertising in the popular VW magazines of the day carb conversions just like you are doing. They offered kits with single, dual or 4 carb configuration!

By the way that engine sounds to me like it's a '66 bug engine in a more modern case. It was only produced for 1 year and was a cross over from the older 1200 40 hp to the newer 1500. It used the 40 hp cylinders and top end on the newer, stronger case and crank. If I recall correctly it was rated at 53 hp and many have said it is the most durable stock form engine that VW ever produced. Once you get the timing and mixture sorted out you should be good for a few more ponies over stock too!

Enjoy! Merv
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: