Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HVLP/Turbine vs HVLP/Compressor - Advise and guidance needed
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: HVLP/Turbine vs HVLP/Compressor - Advise and guidance needed Reply with quote

My compressor specs are as follows:
Model: Craftsman - 919.158221 - Cast iron pump - single stage (circa 1980s)
PSI: 125 Max
Tank: 20 Gal. with 3/8 outlet tube which currently has a 1/4" quick-connect coupler attached.
Displacement: 14 CFM
Air Delivery: 10.3 SCFM@40PSI / 8.5 SCFM@90 PSI
Motor: 2HP/240VAC

I live in North Florida where humidity was invented and I do not have any air "conditioning" equipment attached to the compressor at the moment. My plans are to use the compressor for sand blasting, eventually painting the car, and various air tools but not a DA sander. This compressor will be used strictly in a "Hobbyist" capacity and will see sporadic use over the next few years while I restore my Ghia.

I know I need dry, oil and debris free air. There are so many options to choose from I am having a hard time choosing enough capacity without spending on more than I need. I used a DeVilbis disposable desiccant snake but that got saturated after about four hours of sand blasting using an ALC 50 Lbs. capacity siphon feed blaster. The compressor runs often but is able to provide enough air volume to blast continuously at 90 PSI.

My questions are:
What "conditioning equipment" should I buy to dry the air and remove oil? (Size and brand recommendations needed)

Along with the above, should I add a 50 foot coil of copper tubing to act as a condenser before the dryer?

For painting purposes, should I use the compressor with conditioned air and an HVLP gun or should I invest in a hobbyist/semi-pro grade turbine HVLP system? (Size and brand recommendations needed)

Thanks,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: HVLP/Turbine vs HVLP/Compressor - Advise and guidance needed Reply with quote

I have both a TIP turbine system and an Apollo turbine system. Absolutely no water comes out at all, and no oil. You can take the unit to your neighbors and paint something, no heavy compressor. The air hose is however as large in diameter as an water hose, and you need to get used to it.

On my regular compressor, I been using the toilet paper roll type of air filters. They seem to work quite well. I swap out for a dry roll when the one in the unit becomes damp. When sandblasting and using lots of air, that is about every half hour or so. You might want to plumb your piping on the wall and not have the hose running along the floor where the warm compressor air in the hose is on the floor is constantly condensing into water droplets. TIP sandblasting in Ohio did have some nice illustrations on how to run steel piping to get rid of water in the lines. Chuck P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: HVLP/Turbine vs HVLP/Compressor - Advise and guidance needed Reply with quote

I have been looking into the same things over the last few months, and what i have found is that you cannot get a compressor that is too big basically. Most HVLP paint guns that i have seen need around 13 cfm minimum, and the recommendation i get is to have a compressor capable of pumping out 25-50% more than that to have some leeway. I have been looking into the Eastwood concours LT, they claim that it only needs around 4.5cfm to spray, but unfortunately i could not get it here in sweden and Eastwood themselves cannot ship it to here.

I ended up getting a devilbiss FLG-670, and it needs atleast 12 cfm, so now i am in the market for a compressor that can deliver atleast that and then some. What i have seen is that i need to have a compressor with 5.5hp to have those flowrates. Tank size seems to matter less, as the gun will empty almost any practically sized tank in a couple of minutes anyway so the compressor would need to deliver a constant supply of cfm´s to be able to paint a car.

Blasting needs even more air than painting from what i can gather, so i have more or less given up on the idea of being able to blast by myself.

The turbine systems seems nice, but they are expensive, even more so for me here in remote sweden, the Exchange rate is poor at the moment and shipping and import duties will atleast double the price.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: HVLP/Turbine vs HVLP/Compressor - Advise and guidance needed Reply with quote

Tobias Bylund wrote:
...Blasting needs even more air than painting from what i can gather, so i have more or less given up on the idea of being able to blast by myself.

Thank you both for your input.

Tobias, I have been able to sand blast my entire chassis, and many other parts, using crushed glass media (~ 40 grit) and an old 20 gal. 2 HP DeVilbis/Sears compressor putting out a tired (rated) 8.5 CFM@90 PSI. As long as I keep the air dry I can blast continuously even with the compressor running. I am using an ALC 50 Lbs. siphon blaster with what looks like a ~1 mm venturi and ~3 mm tip. I have seen the same opinion you stated, shared on-line about air consumption for blasting, but my experience contradicts it. I hope I have helped in some way.

here is a picture of my front beam (and sand blaster) jusa after blasting.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...and my engine tin (yes that is flash rust in a few spots, I need to treat the metal)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: HVLP/Turbine vs HVLP/Compressor - Advise and guidance needed Reply with quote

That is great! Rekindles my hopes of being able to blast as there really isnt a better way to prep before painting. I was looking at blasting cabinets to do parts in, maybe they have higher air consumption then siphon blasters?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: HVLP/Turbine vs HVLP/Compressor - Advise and guidance needed Reply with quote

Here is the layout for my improvised blasting cabinet. I did all the engine tin in it. Originally the cover was a board with a rectangular cutout and the lid from a loose leaf lettuce container screwed down over it as a window. That was later replaced by a sheet of plexiglass, donated by a neighbor, used to cover the entire top. The arm holes were covered by a cut down old T-Shirt stapled on the inside and overlapped vertically. I fed the gun and my hands through the arm holes. I know its nasty looking but it works and was made with recycled goods and easy on the budget.

WOW, I hijacked my own thread Rolling Eyes

Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: HVLP/Turbine vs HVLP/Compressor - Advise and guidance needed Reply with quote

I like it, i dig the "take what you have or can find" approach and make do, whatever gets the job done!

I will browse our equivalent of Craigs list for components that can be useful Smile
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: HVLP/Turbine vs HVLP/Compressor - Advise and guidance needed Reply with quote

Just wanted to update: Found an old IR Type-30 compressor locally, 7.5hp motor, 80 gallon tank, magnafluxed, pressure tested and with a brand new compressor block for $400, and they included the old compressor block as well, so i will rebuild that because it is 2-stage and low RPM so it should be less noise and heat. So i think i will have enough capacity for blasting cabinet and paint gun now.

Now; going outside to build a noise supressed cabinet outside since it is too large to fit in my garage! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: