Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will my 87 Westy get mold?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Antonelis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Will my 87 Westy get mold? Reply with quote

I'm storing my 87 Westy on Vashon I. WA and have it covered with a custom fit cover purchased on line. The van is on a cement slab, and open to the weather for about 8 months at varying times throughout the year. Should I be concerned about growing black mold? Is so, what to do?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy go Mold Reply with quote

Well... I don't live up there, but my '87 Westy lived in Santa Cruz, California for several years. Lots of fog and coastal moisture that drips off the Redwood trees. So, the rear corners of my tent had some black mold beginnings when I got it.

In the first summer, I scrubbed the hell out of those corners and used a 'mold remover' spray from Ace Hardware. It definitely stopped the mold, but the stains are there; just noticeable.

If you have power available, you might consider putting in a dehumidifier or small heater... like a 100watt light bulb, just to keep it warm and dry enough inside to keep the moisture at bay. Put it on a Christmas tree timer so you don't have a huge electric bill.

A relative of mine lives near Vader, WA and they keep two heat lamps on most of the time in their large storage shed. Not something I would want to do, but it is nice and dusty in there when it's moldy outside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy go Mold Reply with quote

Bud Antonelis wrote:
Should I be concerned about growing black mold? Is so, what to do?

yes, I suggest you start checking the interior humidity weekly, and airing it out when the sun shines

I get black mold in my westy, sitting in my driveway with no tree over it (in Santa Cruz, CA). It is not covered, I expect that would hold even more moisture, but have not tested.

Boat people use DampRid, which they replace when they fill up with water

recently a thread discussed mold removal,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672713
and comments indicated that depending what is used to do so, it either causes more mold or prevents it

Borax was mentioned as a good preventive, and also Concrobium

I agree with Wasted Youth's suggestions to develop a system that dries out the interior.. that means the steam has to get out.. a cover sounds counterproductive in that battle

but I have no experience with covers

I hope you find a good solution for your situation.. it may include paying someone to visit your van while you are away Smile
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy go Mold Reply with quote

a cover can trap moisture against the paint, cuasing rust, mold too. damp rid is a good product BUT make darn sure the liquid that forms in damp rid never spills, it is highly corrosive. if ylu use it, put it in a secondary containment container and dont drive away with it, if it could possibly tip over. it is a horrible thing to clean up, dont let it get under the flooring!!!

heat lamps can be helpful in reducing mold if you have a water tight vehicle, leaky windoes for instance will be a big problem.

good luck with storage.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy go Mold Reply with quote

Interior mold often begins growth in the rear of the PopTop.
Why?
What I surmise is that because of the sleep cushion there is minimal airflow between the bed and closed top.

I agree a small electric heater would be a big help but also take a minute and remove the upper bedding.

I keep a heater in my Van all winter, the rear is almost always covered with snow while the forward section is clear because of the air circulation differences.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 2 cents anyway......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy go Mold Reply with quote

A neighber with a chevy van poptop periodically raises his overnight, in good weather, to give the corners a chance to dry out.

We have a fairly dry environment here, so that helps a lot.

If you have clear cold weather that and a heater might be enough up there in the land of blackberries.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy go Mold Reply with quote

re: DampRid

it is silica gel - so I thought you could dry it out in the oven to "recharge" it??
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy go Mold Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Razz Razz
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy go Mold Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
re: DampRid

it is silica gel - so I thought you could dry it out in the oven to "recharge" it??

No DampRid is calcium chloride, hence the corrosive nature of the liquid it collects, Very corrosive stuff..

Silica gel is different.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy get mold? Reply with quote

Bud you definitely have an uphill battle on the wetside of the state. Keeping rain off is A#1. Keeping moisture out is obviously #2. Are the window seals tight? Can you keep a heater or dehumidifier in her? Do ypi have a trusted friend that can fire her up and dry her out occasionally?

One of the biggest things that fights us in keeping vehicles dry around here is keeping all the darn fir needles out of the window channels, they get down in the little drain slots (a half dozen needles can clog a window drain slot) and then the water is allowed to creep into the window and POOF, mold.
Bud Antonelis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy get mold? Reply with quote

Many thanks all...you've confirmed my suspicions...I'll start working on a fix.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy get mold? Reply with quote

Snow can be worse than rain as it will keep the top cold and encourage condensation. With a tiny bit of heat you can keep the interior above the dew point if there is no snow on the roof. Parking under a carport will keep the roof warmer on a clear night also preventing condensation.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy get mold? Reply with quote

As a native wetsider who also grew up on the dryside, I can say that our challenges are uniquely our own. Mold is a constant threat, and I would avoid any cover that fits tightly and allows little air movement underneath. Since you have a cement pad I'd opt for one of those inexpensive "hooped" tarp covers that keep rain and needles off the vehicle but still allow air to flow i.e. moisture to dissipate. Keep several of those humidity pots inside, and close off all the rodent intrusion points, especially the front air intake vent.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Will my 87 Westy get mold? Reply with quote

I was gonna suggest one of those cheap "carports" over the car cover too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: