Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Power Window Switch Relocations
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

So I've been dealing with slow/inconsistent power windows since I got my van. The passenger side was always slow and the drivers side didn't work at all.

I rebuilt the drivers side motor and it started working, but inconsistently.

So I moved on to the switches. I have the passenger side switches working, but the drivers side is still giving me grief. If you ever want a test in patience, try taking one of these switches apart and putting it back together successfully Evil or Very Mad

Anyway...I'm considering switch relocation. However I am a cheap ass when it comes to some things, and I just can't imagine this kit is really worth the $110 that GoWesty wants for it, and I can't find an alternative.

It seams that this relocation could be done with two 3 way switches from NAPA and a bit of wiring. I am surprised nobody has done a write up on it. I would gladly do the write up after doing it if anybody had guidance on the wiring.

Anybody?

Based on this information, it's a much more complicated system than it needs to be. Or at least more complicated than my simple mind thinks it should be.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

I use an aftermarket express ' Up/Down" module mounted in the door below the vent glass. You have to run a dedicated power wire to it from the fuse block or another power source. One of the nice things about them is that when working properly you can use 14/18 ga wire from the switches and eliminate the horrible wire mess associated with the stock system.
Besides the obvious advantage of putting 12V as close to the motor as you can, you also add the convenience of express up and down.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

I am disabled and can’t reach over the passenger seat to roll up the window, so I put a power window in my ’83:

Switch is positioned between the radio and lighter plug outlet. Got it from eBay and has a built-in light for ease of finding at night. Passengers just have to get used to remembering where it is. Its wired in full time so I don’t need to turn the key on. This is really the ideal location because if I am lounging in the back I can push it up/down with a long stick. Good idea with the sudden thunderstorms we get in New Mexico.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
This is really the ideal location because if I am lounging in the back I can push it up/down with a long stick. Good idea with the sudden thunderstorms we get in New Mexico.

Great ideas. I especially like the lo-fi remote control. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

These are all great reasons to consider this upgrade.

Any more detail into the wiring of an aftermarket switch? I like the idea of constant power.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:
So I've been dealing with slow/inconsistent power windows since I got my van.

That's a good looking wiring diagram. Where did it come from? Do you have the whole dash power accessory harness diagram? I cant find it in my Bentley. Course I suck at wiring diagrams! TIA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

I just pulled that diagram from a Google search.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

Bentley 97.187

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Bentley 97.187

Thanks. For some reason my 97.187 is different. Guess there are different versions of the Bentley manual or I'm doing something really stoooopid?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
I use an aftermarket express ' Up/Down" module mounted in the door below the vent glass. You have to run a dedicated power wire to it from the fuse block or another power source. One of the nice things about them is that when working properly you can use 14/18 ga wire from the switches and eliminate the horrible wire mess associated with the stock system.
Besides the obvious advantage of putting 12V as close to the motor as you can, you also add the convenience of express up and down.

Stacy

Any further explanation of the switches you bought? I'd gladly replace them...just trying to make sure I find a good, reliable switch, and then try to figure out the rewiring portion.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

My first test of window operation is to put 12 volts directly to the Red and Black window motor wires. Reverse your connection and it goes the other way. If the windows don't work from this point, there is not point in replacing switches or doing anything else.
I am using the stock switches. I use a module like this "DEI 535T" which will operate both window express up and down.
There are other units which only control one window per unit which I prefer. I have used the the 535T and like it except the "double click to make it stop where you want it to.
There is a bit of wiring involved, so not for the faint of heart. It's all straight forward really. Because I have spare motors and switches I have made mine plug and play with the no wire cutting needed which makes it nice to go back if need be.
I currently use a TW1A, but they have not been around for years. These work great but require a dedicated and direct 12V feed to each unit. This took me a while to figure out as originally I was tapping off of the power door lock hot wire, That did not always work well as it has a narrow voltage band and when it drops too low it starts to freak out.
I did find that the DES 535T was not as sensitive to volt drops and worked very well.
I also rewired some switches with much smaller gauge wires and it makes putting the door back together much easier.
I find relocating the switches to the dash to be uncomfortable to reach,I like the factory location for the switches and think they are perfectly located. The idea of dash mounted switches is brilliant as it eliminates a vast number of connections and gives the motors a much better supply of 12V.
Of course the perfect start is having properly serviced motors and regulators. Spending time going over the stock system connector by connector and cleaning grounds and positive connections make a huge difference. This system only has one Ground and 2 power sources and if they are dirty or the connectors work hardened they will not work properly.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

Do you know any vendors that will do a window motor rebuild and deal with the wiring at the same time. My passenger side is slow as hell!

Just a regular guy
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

I know you're just a normal guy, but have you tried going direct to the motor first?
Come to town and buy me dinner and maybe I'll look at it for you. I tell you, you should see how well my windows work.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
My first test of window operation is to put 12 volts directly to the Red and Black window motor wires. Reverse your connection and it goes the other way. If the windows don't work from this point, there is not point in replacing switches or doing anything else.

This is exactly what I did to determine my switches needed some love. With 12v straight to the motors, the window worked perfectly.

Thanks for the switch details. I am fairly competent at wiring as long as I have a guide. I can solder and for the most part figure stuff out. I guess what I'm after is a dummies guide. I don't REALLY care if the windows are express or not. I just want them to work.

1. It would be cool, but not mandatory that the switches work without the key in the "on" position
2. I don't really care if the switches are in the doors or the dash
3. I can find power on the fuse block to run direct power to both doors
4. Based on the above, what switches should I get? Switch in the dash means I only need ONE switch for the right hand door, not 2, which is nice.
5. It looks like most switches are 5 or 6 prong. So with a hot lead coming from the fuse panel, how do I determine what the rest of the switch wiring needs to look like?

Maybe this is why GoWesty charges $110 for their kit Smile

I'd love to create a DIY wiring diagram to share with other power window users. But it sounds like the switches used is the big variable. They aren't all the same.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

You say that you do not care where the switches will be now, once you have to constantly reach for them your attitude will change. My first power window upgrade in my 85 had the switches on the dash by the heater vents. I hated the constant stretch to get to them. I had power windows in my 70 crew cab and had them in the door in the crank hole space at that was dreamy.
Take some masking tape and double it up and put it in different locations on the dash and go for a drive and reach for it as you drive and see how inconvenient it is compared to the stock location.
I think you'll spend less time tuning up your stock system then you will adapting some other Creative solution.
This kind of like taking the injection off your engine and putting carbs on it. It works OK but is just never quite the same.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

Good input stacy, and that makes sense. I'll do some switch research and see if I can find something that will work better with the stock wiring. I thought replacing the stock wiring might be more reliable by getting 12v closer to the motors.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
I know you're just a regular guy, but have you tried going direct to the motor first?
Come to town and buy me dinner and maybe I'll look at it for you. I tell you, you should see how well my windows work.

Stacy

Mexican or Italian?
I'm thinking about a manual window regulator for the driver and a single dash mounted switch for the passenger side.

Just a regular guy
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

Still struggling with this a bit. Just can't get any consistency in my stock system, even though I DID get my switches back together. The passenger side works consistently, just very slowly. The drivers side will go down okay, for the most part, but will only go up about a quarter of an inch before stopping.

I've put 12 volts straight to the motors, so I know they are good.

My options at this point are to A - try a modern switch replacement like the ones found at van cafe, even though shipping is a bear - http://www.van-cafe.com/page_718_598/budget-window-switch

or B try an automatic window unit like you suggested, Stacy. I guess my only question is whether or not a unit like the 535T comes with decent instructions or not. I'm fairly savvy with wiring, but not an expert.

Note - the cost for 3 "budget" switches including shipping is about the same as the 535T.

Thanks in advance for any final input.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

Note - I'm leaning towards the 535T as it looks like a decent unit, however I am concerned over whether or not this will REALLY help if my switches aren't fully functioning? I suppose if I rewire everything, there is a better chance I will get 12 volts to the window motors.

12 volts to the 535T (new hot wire directly from the fuse box with a 20a fuse?)
New wires & connectors from the 535T to my switches
Success? Worst case, I have to buy new switches also and have a fully refreshed system I guess.

Also, depending on which available fuse block I tap into I might be able to get them to work without the key in the "on" position.

Based on the information in this thread, it looks like the "P" row on the fuse panel is constant, un fused 12v power - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649210&highlight=

So if I tap into that and throw an inline 20a fuse in there, I should have a good solid power source to the 535T.
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY Power Window Switch Relocations Reply with quote

I used the power from the door locks, it seemed to work OK. They really do not want the unit in the door. I've done it with pretty good success. but be forewarned.
These are great units but are primarily designed for systems with switches on a console. At that point you only have a wires going into the door and your connections are all inside the car.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: