Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet Rose
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westyrunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Meet Rose Reply with quote

Meet Rose (not only my first van/bus but my first VW as well). She is a 1985 manual Wolfsburg edition with 173k miles. I purchased for $4500 in Fruita, CO. Had to get a new transmission mount and a new rear CV boot in order to drive back to Denver where I live. She drove great on our maiden voyage, doing a solid 40 mph over the mountain passes. Going to do a complete restore/paint job etc. Wish me luck while all of my time and money vanishes Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

is it going to be rose colored?

that Bronze is my fav color...

do stuff in my sig. before driving it much while you plan your full on resto
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome.

I have to be honest...for some reason your thread title prompted me to Google "Meat Rose". Who knew?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-insta...rose&*

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
westyrunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
is it going to be rose colored?

that Bronze is my fav color...

Thanks! Going to keep the original color, trying to rebuild it as close to stock as possible. The inspiration behind the name came from an inside joke.

Last edited by westyrunner on Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Congrats on the new purchase and welcome.

I have to be honest...for some reason your thread title prompted me to Google "Meat Rose". Who knew?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-insta...rose&*

Like sucker I fell for it, funny shyte
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

Congrats-- Looking forward to seeing your progress!

I'm also a fan of that particular model (and that city as well.)

I've been watching that one on Craigslist and was hoping it would go to a good home!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
novws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

I saw that van on CL and thought it was a good deal. Weekenders are also among my favorite Vanagons and I really like that color too.

Good luck with it!
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

So very sorry to point out but I kind of think there is an obscure agreement within the Geneva Conventions that apply here given this is an odd year of our lord that when implemented designates that I get the bottom bunk bed, you have to make my bed and your van is now designated Meat Rose.

http://www.themarysue.com/beef-roses-are-red-meat/

Now had we been in the northern hemisphere then I would have to make your bunk.

Good luck with the build. Lots of pictures!

And u can bet that I'm making some meat roses for the next office potluck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

westyrunner wrote:
Wish me luck while all of my time and money vanishes Cool

I see you have a realistic expectation of your future together. Have fun! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

the body and paint are fine, who cares if it's a little worn and rugged.
fix the drive line and brakes proper and get out and enjoy it for what it does..

as soon as you put $10k into body/paint you're not going to want to risk damaging it by taking it into the woods, mountains, valleys and just in general traffic.

make it safe and take it to Madrid for a nice weekend journey. Madrid, New Mexico that is... land of enchantment I tell you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

Welcome to the insanity.......inVANity???
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

as soon as you put $10k into body/paint you're not going to want to risk damaging it by taking it into the woods, mountains, valleys and just in general traffic.

make it safe and take it to Madrid for a nice weekend journey. Madrid, New Mexico that is... land of enchantment I tell you.

Well done!

+1 on the paint. It's fine the way it is.

As for Madrid, it's a fine destination. Just don't pronounce like we pronounce the city in Spain, it's MAD-rid, not ma-DRID.

Hope that helps. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I've been watching that one on Craigslist and was hoping it would go to a good home!

Congratulations! You are going to have a lot of fun with that van.

I agree with joetiger and novws. That Weekender has been on my "hey, that looks like a pretty good CL Vanagon deal" watchlist for quite a while and it's good to see it went to a good home. I was very surprised it took so long to sell. Vans like yours (running sub$5K 1986+ Westies with <200K miles and good bones) seem to usually get snapped up in a few days around here.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

Welcome to the Funny Farm! Rose is a lovely lady.

You can follow my threads for how we did a full 'Wehabilitation' on Winston, my '84 Westfalia, on this side of the Rockies.

CHANGE THE FUEL LINES!

I wish you and your new friend many long happy voyages together.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyrunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

Yes, replacing the fuel lines is my first task. Seems pretty straight forward, but any tips would be much appreciated. As for the paint job it's peeling pretty bad on the back and sliding door side, I'm worried it could rust if I don't address it.

Also, I need a spare tire, will a full-size spare fit in the clamshell? And any recommendations on a car jack for a vanagon?

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

westyrunner wrote:
... As for the paint job it's peeling pretty bad on the back and sliding door side, I'm worried it could rust if I don't address it.

It appears to me that a paint job with poor prep is coming off the OG paint. I don't see any concern for rust as long as none is coming through the OG paint. Personally, I like the well used/worn look. It adds character to the bus. I like patina.

Aloha
tp
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

westyrunner wrote:
Yes, replacing the fuel lines is my first task. Seems pretty straight forward, but any tips would be much appreciated. As for the paint job it's peeling pretty bad on the back and sliding door side, I'm worried it could rust if I don't address it.

Also, I need a spare tire, will a full-size spare fit in the clamshell? And any recommendations on a car jack for a vanagon?]

I find the stock Vanagon jack very handy, and often use it when working on the van just to get it on a jack stand. Use 2 when camping to stabilize it and keep the rocking to a minimum.

Besides fuel lines another must have IMO is Headlight relays and better lenses. you are lucky already having 7" rounds...Now get ecode Hellas from Bus Depot, 80/100w hella bulbs from a local parts guy and a relay kit from Jay Brown. Go from squinting to seeing!! https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

use a scissors type car jack, not the widow-maker style post jack
westyrunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

New sliding door panel process (my van was missing the panel when I bought it):

Before.

Ordered a panel from Gowesty.com.

Painted it with plastic spray-paint to match my van's color scheme.

Installed B-QUIET sound deadening material.

Turned out great!
westyrunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Rose Reply with quote

Ordered a new lower grille from Raybuck Auto Parts, almost 50% cheaper than GoWesty!

Before:

After:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: