Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
I'm just putting out to this community that this is an option.

I respect and appreciate that. Also think the dual range will be a true syncro killer..

tranny feature comparison options:
Syncro Tranny, locker and granny
Subaru 6% tall, no locker, no dual range
Audi 11% tall, possible locker and dual range

cost comparison:
Syncro cost ?
Subaru cost ?
Audi cost ?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

So with the transmissions I'll be using, the CV hubs are off-set a little to one side. I was very happy to see that I was able to still use all of the very well built SAH mounting system. It took just a very small modification to push the engine a little toward the driver side.
I also am using the Passat oil pan, I found that my custom oil pump would just not fit, very close, but about 1/4" too short on the one side.
The SAH exhaust system still fits just fine too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Even though this 2wd 5speed that I have in there now is not going to stay, I wanted to put some miles on the engine running CCW before we attack the Syncro/Quattro bits. so I fabbed up this mount to hold the 012 in place. The SAH engine mount locates the transmission in a perfect spot, this mount was very simple to make. The stock Vanagon clutch hose just threads right into the Audi clutch slave, this is also a very big advantage, it really requires no other work than to hook up the line and bleed the air out. I'm looking forward to driving this!

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Great read... love to see thinking outside the Vanagon Box.

Forums need a freaking LIKE button! Very Happy Razz

Don't harsh my mellow...
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Thanks 'sunset-

So, here's how it looks.....

Still looks the same from the top.

From the bottom, you can see the different oil pan, lack of engine adapter plate, and the 5 speed transmission. Ground clearance is still the same as it was.

I took it for a very short test-drive down the road, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 all accounted for! I have a small drip of oil from the turbo return hose I need to address before any more driving.

Anyone interested to see a video of how it drives?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Anyone interested to see a video of how it drives?

Yes please.

Awesome work as always.
ledogboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

i love seeing those CV's bolted up to that transmission- it looks super tough!
Some people call him Maurice...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Different config of the fan/intercooler.
Is that how it came from SAH ?
Blows air down into the IC or pulls it up ?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Different config of the fan/intercooler.
Is that how it came from SAH ?
Blows air down into the IC or pulls it up ?

That is the typical SAH set-up, it pushes air into the cooler.

Just for comparison, here is my typical 1.8t job...

And the SAH 1.8t.....

The SAH kit is top quality stuff, I am very happy to work with it.

With the campers, when making the raised decklid, we push the engine lid to the right so it is easier to open and doesn't require cutting the cabinet. I don't offer the storage space under a lexan cover like Stephan does.

Another thing of difference is the accelerator pedal, we use the later VW one because it hinges at the bottom like the stock Vanagon pedal. This customer has requested we put one in his van.

Andrew-
bstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

Another thing of difference is the accelerator pedal, we use the later VW one because it hinges at the bottom like the stock Vanagon pedal. This customer has requested we put one in his van.

That pedal is sweet. The only thing I don't love about the SAH 1.8t is the pedal feels slightly awkward compared to stock.

Any details to swap one in?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

[quote="bstein"]
xoo00oox wrote:

That pedal is sweet. The only thing I don't love about the SAH 1.8t is the pedal feels slightly awkward compared to stock.

I've heard this same comment from others.

These pedals seem to be used in most all of the later VW and Audis, it just needs a small bracket made to mount it. The sensors inside this pedal read the same way as the one from the stock 1.8t cars. Try to find one on ebay that still has the plug and a pigtail of wire on it. You will have to look at a wire diagram to splice the wires to your harness.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
there are a few of these on ebay right now for $300

Manual transmission 6 Speed 01E All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Code letters GBE, FYF
Production from 04.01
to
Allocation Model A4 from 2001
Engine 3.0 liter - 162 kW
Ratio Final drive 35 : 8 = 4.375
Z2 : Z1 = i 1st gear 28 : 8 = 3.500
2nd gear 34 : 18 = 1.889
3rd gear 33 : 25 = 1.320
4th gear 30 : 29 = 1.034
5th gear 30 : 35 = 0.857
6th gear 27 : 37 = 0.730
Reverse gear 38 : 11 = 3.455

What do you think of this gearing SODO?

Just because I happen to have these laying around all over the place,
here's the line-up with a syncro transmission at far right

Hi!

Is the 01E 6 speed the 01E300048H tranny you were looking for in PM?

All is looking good man, congrats on the hard work Smile
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Hi alika,

No, unfortunately that is not the transmission with low range. The one pictured is one I had LKQ delivery. It's from an '06 Audi A4 with at 2.0 engine.

I found and fixed the oil leak on this project van, the flange part of the oil return hose on the turbo was leaking. I then put about 12 miles on it, it drives great. I'll try to get a video in next week.

Next week we start phase 2 of this project, Quattro!

This poor Syncro went for his last ride the other day, he has signed the organ donor papers and his Syncro parts will be used to help another van.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Nice work as always. I'm curious to see how you handle the steering rack mount.
'01 Weekender VR6 -->2.5 TDI Syncro?
Oly Bulli
'87 300TD OM606 7mm Myna pump and HX30
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

This CA van is in shock!! That is a Passat wagon and a convertible New Beetle parked beside it.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Andrew, looks like that here too, yesterday morning, grass was showing, today, just like your last picture. I was really hoping for early spring, but I think we may still get it.
Dyno Soar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

I have been lurking on these threads and just have to say I love it.

I am the proud owner of the 2.1 5 speed late vanagon or Caravelle as we call them. I am just looking to replace the boxer engine with a AGU 1.8 20v Turbo on the stock 5 speed. I may look into a Peloquin diff and AT tyres.

I can't find a reasonably priced Syncro but would really love one of these beasts.

Good work.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Dyno Soar wrote:
I have been lurking on these threads and just have to say I love it.

I am the proud owner of the 2.1 5 speed late vanagon or Caravelle as we call them. I am just looking to replace the boxer engine with a AGU 1.8 20v Turbo on the stock 5 speed. I may look into a Peloquin diff and AT tyres.

I can't find a reasonably priced Syncro but would really love one of these beasts.

Good work.

Hi Dyno Soar, thanks for your comments. What year is your van?
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

Good to see that things line up with only a little force. Also nice choice on the oil pan. Looks like it gives you better than expected clearance.

All4Him
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

87 today in vegas, and they say breaking 90 in a day or two, and it's only march, so that's looking real good to me.

Hey dyno soar, is that a 5 speed including reverse? Or one of the 5 speeds plus reverse?
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: A new spin on a SAH 1.8t conversion, 5 speed!, Quattro!! Reply with quote

bstein wrote:
xoo00oox wrote:

Could you provide details on the part number for this pedal and the wiring diagram for splicing it in? Any photos of the mounting bracket? I have an SAH kit, and the pedal sticks out too far so you really have to bend your foot up to step on it. I really miss my "hinge at the bottom" stock pedal. This seems like a perfect solution if it was more plug-n-play.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: