Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Epoxy Primer vs. Masterseries/Rust Bullit Question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exaktaphile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Epoxy Primer vs. Masterseries/Rust Bullit Question Reply with quote

Add this one to the MS club... halfway through putting AG111 over MS Silver.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy Primer vs. Masterseries/Rust Bullit Question Reply with quote

I am sold on Masterseries. I just sent Chuck a PM for details on how much I need to do my single cab (entire chassis, treasure chest, fuel area and inner wheel wells). The old load bed is removed and I am going to paint all of these areas before welding in new load bed for maximum protection.

Thank you all for the valuable info and pics! I've made my decision.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GermanRust52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy Primer vs. Masterseries/Rust Bullit Question Reply with quote

Master Series Por 15 combination

digdug18
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy Primer vs. Masterseries/Rust Bullit Question Reply with quote

As to the OP's question, The PPG Restoration guide I linked below, suggests that you sandblast, clean with high pressure air, and coat with 2 coats of epoxy based primer. This would be a 2k product, consisting of a 2 products that are mixed in a specific ratio. Spray can products are available as well that are 2k, eastwood makes one such product.

Epoxy primer will take a full 24 hours to cure @ 70 degrees, therefore it isn't used in the traditional autobody world. But it really is the best to use for bare sheetmetal.

PPG's restoration guide. http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Training/Training-Guides/Custom-Restoration-Guide
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy Primer vs. Masterseries/Rust Bullit Question Reply with quote

Never sprayed Masterseries, but always thin it down with gasoline. Cheaper than enamel reducer, evaporates quickly, thins it beautifully and readily available at all hours.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Epoxy Primer vs. Masterseries/Rust Bullit Question Reply with quote

Quote:
but always thin it down with gasoline

Shocked never heard this before, very interesting idea.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Epoxy Primer vs. Masterseries/Rust Bullit Question Reply with quote

Thinning with gasoline is a cheap trick... It's far from ideal. Gasoline is meant for exploading under pressure and has all sorts of products added to it to aid in combustion.

I'd use hardware store laquer thinner before I'd put gasoline in my paint. Granted that's $18/gal vs $2.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: